Interview for KCOM! Suggestions, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brookliner7

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing on 10/27!
I have been looking over the interview feedback and it's been very helpful.

which airport did you guys fly into and how did you get to the school? rent a car, take a bus? shuttle?
where did you stay the night?

Congrats to those who have already interviewed!

Just wondering if anyone had anything they would like to share since this will most likely be the first interview I attend!

I'm very excited!

Thanks in advance!

CHR1S

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations first of all! As a first year KCOM student, i think you will like what you see. My advice would be to have confidence, and unique questions to ask. My interviewers last year were both very nice and we just had conversations. KCOM is the founding school, and we are very focused on OMT, so if you are interested in that I would encourage you to ask about it and its applications clinically (if you interview with a clinician). But otherwise, relax and enjoy because Kirksville is a beautiful quiet town that is quite pretty right now. Good Luck!

Congratulations first of all! As a first year KCOM student, i think you will like what you see. My advice would be to have confidence, and unique questions to ask. My interviewers last year were both very nice and we just had conversations. KCOM is the founding school, and we are very focused on OMT, so if you are interested in that I would encourage you to ask about it and its applications clinically (if you interview with a clinician). But otherwise, relax and enjoy because Kirksville is a beautiful quiet town that is quite pretty right now. Good Luck!

awesome! One of the top reasons I applied to KCOM is indeed because this is the school Andrew Still started and the curriculum has been developing for over a century.
I am extremely interested in OMT. I have seen some of muscle-energy techniques applied by the physcian I shadow and am amazed in the immediate effects it has. I have been a PT tech for a few years and really like the hands on treatment as well.
I grew up in a small town so it sounds like I will like the setting.

How's the weather there by the way?

Thanks for the advice! Can't wait to get there! I'm a little nervous since this school is one of my top choices! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
The weather has been pretty nice. Last week we had a few warm days (85F) and then fall like weather (low 70s). It has been pretty sunny, although I am not a native of Missouri so I don't know how it will change throughout the fall. But being from Michigan, it is quite nice weather here! No snow yet haha

I won't lie, the weather in Missouri is like the weather in the rest of the midwest. It has its ups and its downs and its nice days in between. I wouldn't worry about the weather too much though becuase you don't read about too many medical students who spend their days outside relaxing at the beach. If there are than I must have picked the wrong medical school :) I do hear that if we work hard enough, thats what our kids will get to do. :D

I won't lie, the weather in Missouri is like the weather in the rest of the midwest. It has its ups and its downs and its nice days in between. I wouldn't worry about the weather too much though becuase you don't read about too many medical students who spend their days outside relaxing at the beach. If there are than I must have picked the wrong medical school :) I do hear that if we work hard enough, thats what our kids will get to do. :D

nice. travel accomodation suggestions? which airport, hotel, shuttle, bus, car, etc.

nice. travel accomodation suggestions? which airport, hotel, shuttle, bus, car, etc.

I flew into Des Moines International and drove down via rental car. Mapquest said it would take over three hours to drive, but it took me two. You'll pretty much have to fly into Kansas City, St. Louis or Des Moines and drive unless you want to spend an arm and a leg to fly into Kirksville Regional. I stayed at the Comfort Inn. You can't beat it for $60 a night, unless you stay with a student, which a couple people in my interview group did.
Also, on your way out of town, explore the downtown area. I highly recommend hitting up Washington Street Java. I got a feeling that's where all the college/med students hang out to "study".

I flew into Des Moines International and drove down via rental car. Mapquest said it would take over three hours to drive, but it took me two. You'll pretty much have to fly into Kansas City, St. Louis or Des Moines and drive unless you want to spend an arm and a leg to fly into Kirksville Regional. I stayed at the Comfort Inn. You can't beat it for $60 a night, unless you stay with a student, which a couple people in my interview group did.
Also, on your way out of town, explore the downtown area. I highly recommend hitting up Washington Street Java. I got a feeling that's where all the college/med students hang out to "study".

Awesome, great advice. I just purchased a round trip ticket into Kansas City with a rental car for two days for $317. (taxes included) I still have to book a hotel.

I decided to stay overnight after my interview to do just that; explore the surroundings. Thanks again!

go with the comfort inn, you get a great rate for being an interviewee! Plus it is very clean, and the staff are really helpful with giving directions and recommending places to see, eat etc. It's where I stayed when I interviewed, and I would highly recommend it compared to the other hotels in the area.

go with the comfort inn, you get a great rate for being an interviewee! Plus it is very clean, and the staff are really helpful with giving directions and recommending places to see, eat etc. It's where I stayed when I interviewed, and I would highly recommend it compared to the other hotels in the area.

sounds great, I'll make reservations tomorrow!