Interview for real jobs and expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ursus Martimus

Ursus Martimus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if other have experienced similar situations but I am still waiting for promised reimbercement for interview expenses from an interview I had for a full time position in October with Central Indiana Cancer Centers. they have given me the run around. There is nothing one can really do but continue to ask them, but I think it reasonable to draw attention to these practices on the forum. Truly shareful and I would encourage all to beware of such situations when you interview

Members don't see this ad.

Some practices don't pay for expenses, but if they say they will but don't, that's lousy business practice. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, and I hope they eventually pay you back!

I am not sure if other have experienced similar situations but I am still waiting for promised reimbercement for interview expenses from an interview I had for a full time position in October with Central Indiana Cancer Centers. they have given me the run around. There is nothing one can really do but continue to ask them, but I think it reasonable to draw attention to these practices on the forum. Truly shareful and I would encourage all to beware of such situations when you interview

What a bummer!

Should have asked for some up-front money.

"Nobody works in this town without a retainer..."

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a couple of docs from this group last year when I was looking for a job. They didn't come across as shady characters at all. In fact, they were pretty up front with me from the very beginning.

You may want to talk to them directly to find out what's going on. I think it's fair to gauge this as a potential for logistical miscues, but I wouldn't jump to conclusion about their ethics.

When I was interviewing last year, reimbursement for expenses came back anythere from within a week to 2 to 3 months later. But, everyone eventually reimbursed me for all reasonable expenses (except one group that didn't pay for meals I had while I was staying in their city --- they paid for my flights, hotel, and a rental car, so no real grudges...).

This is not a common occurrence. I guess I don't have that much experience, but I have dealt with 7 groups and they reimbursed faster than my own institution does (which is a huge organization). I'd imagine that there is some sort of miscommunication/disorganization at hand, and it has very little to do with the physicians or their ethics. I will say that before an interview, I would drop a hint with something like: "Who will I be submitting my expenses to?" to let them know that it was my expectation to be covered.

I had one group ask me if I had MORE to ask for (they expected I would have food/gas expenses, but every meal was taken care of by the partners and they drove me around everywhere, too).

-S