Interview: Glasses or Contacts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YanCanCook

That my friend....
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this seems like an odd topic debate, but should I wear glasses or contacts. I was thinking about wearing contacts, but I was talking to my friend tonight. She said that our career service office has data/evidence or something that wearing glasses during your interview (for any position or school) makes you seem more mature/intelligent/better. I switch between glasses and contacts on a regular basis. Does this strategy/idea about glasses actually work?

Members don't see this ad.

wear glasses but pop out the lens on one side and use contacts in that eye so you can have the best of both worlds

Wtf? Where whatever you feel more comfortable in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you like better.

And as for the whole "intelligent-glasses connection," many people look stupid in glasses, so have a neutral observer tell you if you look good in glassees or not.

I would go for glasses just because contact lenses can fall out, become irritating (new procedure with no contact lens solution on planes) etc.

Glasses you can wear on your face and keep on your face.
-Dr. P.

Do you want to look like Clark or Superman?

Searun

Glasses! Be a four-eyed freak!

So in the middle of the interview you can take off them off and put the earpiece on the tip of your lips and be like "I concur." Oh, you'll also need a whisker-typed mustache. :D

wow, what a weird question..............
wear whatever makes you feel like yourself......

wear whatever feels comfortable. maybe if it is a rainy day wear contacts so you avoid the walking around blind with lenses covered in rain drops look. Otherwise i dont think it matters.

wear whatever makes you feel comfortable. also about the intellignet-glasses connection....not true at all..i know some people who are better off without glasses when going to interviews.

I went with my glasses during my interview last year...and I think I made the right choice.

I thought this question/idea was weird when I heard her say it last night, but she was really adamant about it (making it seem like a well-known interviewing fact).

i actually took secondary pictures in my glasses cause i felt it made me look more professional. ill probably go contacts cause glasses for a whole day will bug the crap out of me

Members don't see this ad :)
I look a lot better with contacts than glasses. It depends. It might be helpful to post pictures w/ & w/o glasses, or ask friends how you look better.

So, i really regularly switch between contacts and glasses (i.e. I could be wearing contacts one day and glasses the next). Thus, I feel comfortable in both. I just might wear glasses just in case. I feel like this is such a nit picky SDN topic.

i say get LASIK eye surgery, to eliminate this nonsensical question.....

I had a similar dilemma, although I decided not to post here about it! I think I will go with contacts because I wear contacts to work once or twice a month and all my coworkers always gives me a great first reaction to seeing me without my glasses and they tell me about it too. Why don't you ask more people what they think about how presentable you are with glasses and without? Some people look much better with glasses...and you can say the same for contacts. I don't think anyone on this forum can tell you the right answer unless they actually saw you with glasses and with contacts.

Well. Ask yourself which one gives you the highest percentage of people approaching you and being interested in what you say or whichever one gets you laid. Which I have a feeling it is really other factors such as personality that really do it. ;) Whatever you are comfortable with....whenever I wear my glasses people just tell me I look more "jewy" than normal...which I supposse for medicine isn't bad but you know..just whatever perception you are comfortable with with yourself.

I have the same issue. I'm not sure what to wear for my interview on Thursday. I was told I look smarter in glasses, but prettier in contacts. Although I'm leaning towards contacts just because I can never keep my glasses clean, so I don't want to walk into the interview with dirty lenses. And since I'm not flying, I don't need to worry about the liquids ban. I'll probably wake up morning of and decide that day.

I'm wearing glasses. I feel more comfortable with them ( I really don't like wearing contacts at all ) and I think I look more professional/smarter with them. At least people tell me so.

You should wear glasses during the interview Musiclink. I can picture the difference and I would mos def choose smart over pretty.

Why do some people assume that you are intelligent simply because you wear glasses? Its like "Well ask him he's got glasses. He doesnt have 20\20 vision, he must be a genius!". The plus to wearing glasses is that in the middle of the interview you can do both the dramatic removal and the contemplative chewing on the end of your glasses. Both can come in handy if you find yourself needing to buy some time to think up a response.

Monocle . . . top hat and cane may help too

My script is light so I plan on taking them off during the interview. I generally dislike wearing them when everything in a room is within 10 feet of me. That's jsut me tho

I would wear whatever you wore in your secondary photos. That way, when they look back at your application after the interview, it will be easier to recognize you.

^^

It's funny that you mention that, since I am wearing the same suit/shirt to my interview that I wore in my pictures.

I'm a poor student, people. :p I can't afford to go buying suits just for fun.

I have only two, one that's warmer/long sleeve, and one that's more suited for summer with 3/4 sleeves and lighter in color.

This is expensive enough as it is. :sleep:

When I get to that point, I'll probably wear glasses.
One reason is that I get things in my eye for no apparent reason other than bad timing. Also, people say I look very "studious" in them and I need all the help I can get since I'm such a dork :p

You should wear glasses during the interview Musiclink. I can picture the difference and I would mos def choose smart over pretty.

Why do some people assume that you are intelligent simply because you wear glasses? Its like "Well ask him he's got glasses. He doesnt have 20\20 vision, he must be a genius!". The plus to wearing glasses is that in the middle of the interview you can do both the dramatic removal and the contemplative chewing on the end of your glasses. Both can come in handy if you find yourself needing to buy some time to think up a response.

I honestly don't think there's that much of a difference, but I'm going just based on what people tell me. In the picture I sent, I'm wearing contacts, but I don't think the school is going to say "Oh no! You wear glasses but they're not in your picture, how do we know it's really you??"

I was actually talking about people assuming you're smart beacuse you wear glasses earlier with my sister. If it works in my favor, great. But I would never do that dramatic removal thing simply because if I took off my glasses, I would not see a damn thing, even if the interviewer is 2 feet in front of me. So no way to read facial cues or things like that. I'm going to take a vote of people who know me and ask what they think.

Monocle . . . top hat and cane may help too

mr.%20peanut.JPG

or

colonel_klink.jpg

Here's what made my decision when I was interviewing. I knew the interviewers liked to sit close, and my contacts made my eyes sort of blood-shot, so I went with glasses so I didn't have to worry about it.

i'll just echo everyone else and say that you should wear what ever is most comfortable

my decision was easy: right now i got a new box of contacts that i wanted to try out. they're a bright sapphire blue, which I don't think would go over too well in the interview, so I'll be wearing my glasses.

wear what makes you look good...good looking people get more positive attention...

My decision was just made unless something changes. It's supposed to be raining on Thursday when i'm interviewing. I don't want to wear my glasses in the rain and not be able to see with all the rain sticking to the lenses.

haha @ monocle

To think that glasses correlates to higher intelligence is somewhat silly.

If you want to take an *actual* consideration into account, here's something to think about: some people feel that glasses are something of a barrier in establish eye contact. When I sit down and talk to someone closely (i.e. one-on-one), I tend to take my glasses off, for this reason.

Ha I've been debating this myself recently, Glasses DO make you look smarter I think (except sometimes ppl look stupid b/c they get ******ed frames or something, but it's a small % of the group.) Think about it when you see someone with glasses you think they might be a little smarter, we sterotype like crazy. But I think i'm going to wear my contacts b/c I feel more social with them on, with my glasses I feel slightly detatched from everything sometimes. Plus i have really bad eyesight and my eyes look small in my glasses. And that's another think to be discussed, interviewers will probably like more attractive ppl than non-attractive (w/ in reason here, not some busty blonde), but again humans tend to like and think more highly of more attractive people.

I'm basically in the same boat as you, switching between the two often.
I'm going to go in contacts and bring my glasses on me just in case.
I usually don't carry both on me, since I have a minor perscription (-.75), but if I am going to, I figure it's easier to switch to glasses than from glasses.

Glasses do make me look smarter, but I look better with contacts on. Tough decision!

Hah, what a random old thread to bump...

Anyways, I've always felt my eyes were my best quality, so I went with contacts for all my interviews even though I use my glasses on a day-to-day basis.

My fiancee told me I look better in glasses, so that was one reason I went with glasses. Also, I didn't want to worry about my contacts drying out during the interview day and looking like I have a serious tick blinking all the time.

Glasses! Be a four-eyed freak!

So in the middle of the interview you can take off them off and put the earpiece on the tip of your lips and be like "I concur." Oh, you'll also need a whisker-typed mustache. :D

:roflcopter:

On a similar note, what kind of underwear?

wear glasses but pop out the lens on one side and use contacts in that eye so you can have the best of both worlds

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Who says you can't get good advice on the internet?

I wore my glasses because I did not want to run the risk of a contact-related issue during the day.

What if the contact gives you probs half-way through the day? Also, my eyes sometimes get watery and I would not want to look like a crier during the interview LOL

I wore my glasses because I did not want to run the risk of a contact-related issue during the day.

What if the contact gives you probs half-way through the day? Also, my eyes sometimes get watery and I would not want to look like a crier during the interview LOL

I'm probably going to go with glasses, because my eyes sometimes get red and irritated with contacts, so I don't want the interviewer feeling bad that his time might be rudely encroaching on my previous rendezvous arrangements with my bong.