Interview habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloop213

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is really neurotic, but I was curious if anyone knew how interviewers view these small aspects of appearance/demeanor?

Seated position (leaning on chair vs sitting up straight), nails (my nails are trimmed... from biting them...), suit shirt (wrinkles), and speech (like having weird tics or saying um)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is really neurotic, but I was curious if anyone knew how interviewers view these small aspects of appearance/demeanor?

Seated position (leaning on chair vs sitting up straight), nails (my nails are trimmed... from biting them...), suit shirt (wrinkles), and speech (like having weird tics or saying um)

You should practice good posture and learn to use an iron. Don’t bite your nails during your interview (or at all if you can help it). Not sure what kind of weird tics but everyone says um once in awhile.

One of these things might be ok (not the wrinkled shirt, again, get an iron you’re an adult) but multiple odd mannerisms or poor social skills can make you a less attractive candidate.

Do practice interviews with some people who will give you constructive criticism to eradicate this kind of thing from how you present yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean... nobody will view a wrinkled shirt, lots of ums, uneven nails and slumped posture as positive traits. At best, they’re neutral. At worst, they’re unprofessional. Fix what you can in the time you have.