Interview: Hair up or down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catch22

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate for girls to have their hair down during an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't see any problem with that ...

Personally,
I think the mohawk look is in for women applying to medical school. I mean why not go for it, especially if you want to show them you are not like the rest of the applicants.

JUUUUUUSSSST Kidding, dude, do whatever u want. As long as you are comfortable during your interview that is all that matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i went to this interview and all of the girls had their hair pulled back...i felt like i was in a robert palmer video.

hq

Okay. Here it is one more time from someone who has been through the process -- albeit I'm a guy so the hair issue is moot:

JUST BE YOURSELF. Wear what you want to, do your hair how you like it. Within reason of course -- don't look like you were dragged in from the street. And it will be fine.

I asked a friend who does interviewing , and she said that girls should leave their hair DOWN...hardly ever up, as it can easily be over the top sexual.

dont ask me, I just report, u decide. :D

I think it is more professional to put your hair in a bun or french braid.

eyelashes...should you curl them or leave them natural?

Originally posted by rat-tickler
eyelashes...should you curl them or leave them natural?

LOL this is so cute. Are you serious?

I would say do what makes you feel confident and look your best.
As for your eyelashes....curl or uncurl..what do you feel confident with? It's the same as asking if you should wear makeup or not :D

But from experience, none of my friends wore makeup to their interviews and all are in medical school right now but from what I read, you should have minimal makeup just do remember...NO PERFUME and JEWLERY that will distract the interviewer.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
I asked a friend who does interviewing , and she said that girls should leave their hair DOWN...hardly ever up, as it can easily be over the top sexual.

over the top sexual? when my hair is back in a ponytail i look like a high school student!

Originally posted by lola
over the top sexual? when my hair is back in a ponytail i look like a high school student!

Hahaha..... Blitz's friend likes teens! D'oh!

Originally posted by Kovox
I think it is more professional to put your hair in a bun or french braid.

And I think it is more professional to be comfortable and confident -- so do what you want.

I've been told that women with long hair might want to pull it back, so it doesn't get in the way, get tangled or so you don't fidget with it. But honestly, whatever makes you feel confident is best! Cop out answer, huh? ;) Lucky for me, I recently got mine cut short so I don't have to worry about this one anymore!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lola
I believe she probably meant that cascading curl kind of thing,with ringlets falling over the back of your neck and into your eyes...you know looking a little too formal.I am wearing mine in a bun.Easier and quicker.:)

when i go on an interview (whenever that will be :( ) i am going to...

-wear my hair back in a braid (it's long). if it's short--wear it down! so long as you don't play with it.

-wear a little coverup and kajol (eyeliner), and a minimum at that. probably will do a little mascara too. no blush, no lipstick, no eyeshadow. no nailpolish.

-wear earrings and two small bracelets (both gold, family heirlooms, been wearing them forever), and maybe a watch if i can find a nice one. i am NOT going to wear the anklets that i love and cherish.

-still deciding between nude or black pantyhose. suggestions?

Originally posted by saiyagirl
when i go on an interview (whenever that will be :( ) i am going to...

-wear my hair back in a braid (it's long). if it's short--wear it down! so long as you don't play with it.

-wear a little coverup and kajol (eyeliner), and a minimum at that. probably will do a little mascara too. no blush, no lipstick, no eyeshadow. no nailpolish.

-wear earrings and two small bracelets (both gold, family heirlooms, been wearing them forever), and maybe a watch if i can find a nice one. i am NOT going to wear the anklets that i love and cherish.

-still deciding between nude or black pantyhose. suggestions?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm depends on what shoes you're wearing :D

This is so amusing, girls have it tough. All a guy has to do is wear a suit...no makeup...no pantyhouse...

Originally posted by Kovox
All a guy has to do is wear a suit...

I dunno, just the other day there was a "suit vs. jacket and tie" thread. I think we all know where I stand on that one...:p

I have longish hair (below the shoulders) and it's wavy. I decided to leave it half tied up, half down. Sort of like having the hair from the sides pulled up in the back of my head and secured with a clip. I look nice that way (professional yet "feminine"). I hate ponytails and buns. A bun will make me look like a ballerina (sp?) and a pony tail will make me look like a 12 year old.

Some make up to cover the uneven tones. VERY LITTLE blush. Some eye liner and some mascara (very little). And chapstick.

Is it good to have shoes that have a strap in the front? Sort of like those shoes we used to wear when we were little girls?? I'm wearing pants so I doubt they can see the straps.

PS: Also a BIG SMILE that says, "I'll shine your shoes for a year if you let me in!!"

Originally posted by 2badr
I believe she probably meant that cascading curl kind of thing,with ringlets falling over the back of your neck and into your eyes...you know looking a little too formal.I am wearing mine in a bun.Easier and quicker.:)

yep, exactly..not ponytail, but the roman style of putting the hair up..I'll admit, I find that alot sexier (usually) than the hair down. It's more formal, and she thinks over-the-top sexy.

Just to chime in....

I personally agree with those who say wear what you feel comfy in...however I was super nervous when I first went out in my suit so here is what I did:

Wore a necklace/ring/watch
Shoulderlength hair pulled in a ponytail
light lipstick and just coverup for the under-eye circles.
I am personally a fan of the black nylons but I have worn nude ones too....

I have seen a HUGE variety in the dress of the other women on interviews but those who look the best are those who are confident and not thinking about what they are wearing (ie comfortable)
I don't really think, barring huge disasterous clothing choices) that what you wear makes a difference.

My two cents
Rachel

while it is important to maintain a good appearance... i really doubt the adcoms care about hair or shoes.

I agree with Dr. Deez. As long as you don't to anything too weird, I think you'll be fine. My advisor told me my outfit was entirely too "sexy" and inappropriate b/c I had a red shirt, fairly high heels w/ patent leather, my hair was up (it's almost waist lenght! no way in hell i'd wear it down...what if it's windy?) and I always wear eyeliner, mascara, foundation, powder, lipstick (i luuuuvv lipstick, it's fun) everyday, so I wasn't going to stop for the interview.

I think I've looked more overdressed than most female interviewees b/c I can be kind of girly when it comes to clothes and make up, but I've had three acceptances. :D :D :D Obviously it hasn't hurt me too much.

Just don't go in there with green hair or stillettos or jeans or multiple face piercings, and you'll be okay

okay u guys are freaking me out, i dont wear makeup, should i start learning how? :confused:

Shave your head bald and paint the school's mascot, with war paint, on your shiny scalp.

Don't wear pantyhose at all, and make sure you haven't shaved your legs in a month (if you're extra adventurous, braid the hairs).

Good luck! :p

C.

When I went to my interview, everyone was wearing nude pantyhose. Nobody was wearing black, so I would go with nude.

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I have longish hair (below the shoulders) and it's wavy. I decided to leave it half tied up, half down. Sort of like having the hair from the sides pulled up in the back of my head and secured with a clip. I look nice that way (professional yet "feminine"). I hate ponytails and buns. A bun will make me look like a ballerina (sp?) and a pony tail will make me look like a 12 year old.
Thinking of doing my hair this way too (what's this hairstyle called, btw?). I considered a bun, but it would be a pain to keep fixing it if it falls out--plus, i look like a librarian (or norman bate's mother) with a bun.

I just found a fall black pant suit @ macy's for @ $80. It's really boring, though--I look like I belong in a casket. (I saw a beautiful anne klein suit, but the jacket alone was @ $200!) So I'm still shopping & waiting for winter suits to come out soon. I've never owned a winter suit before, though. Can you ladies who have bought one give me an idea of a reasonable price range? Thanksgiving shopping weekend coming up! Thanks.

Originally posted by Nefertari
Thinking of doing my hair this way too (what's this hairstyle called, btw?). I considered a bun, but it would be a pain to keep fixing it if it falls out--plus, i look like a librarian (or norman bate's mother) with a bun.

No idea what it's called but LMAO about Norman Bates. I have darker hair too so it's kinda weird to have those little strands of hair along your forehead and near your ears coming out. I think most girls look nice in that hairstyle, esp if it's secured with a simple yet elegant clip.

I just found a fall black pant suit @ macy's for @ $80. It's really boring, though--I look like I belong in a casket. (I saw a beautiful anne klein suit, but the jacket alone was @ $200!) So I'm still shopping & waiting for winter suits to come out soon. I've never owned a winter suit before, though. Can you ladies who have bought one give me an idea of a reasonable price range? Thanksgiving shopping weekend coming up! Thanks.

holy crap that Klein suit is a lot!!! We have no macy's here so any other ideas? How about Nordstroms? I am afraid the J C Penney's suits may look to cheap. We should get out on Thanxgiving weekend and window-shop our a$$es off.

PS: mary jane like shoes with heels. Those okay?? Or do I buy some new ones?

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I have longish hair (below the shoulders) and it's wavy. I decided to leave it half tied up, half down. Sort of like having the hair from the sides pulled up in the back of my head and secured with a clip. I look nice that way (professional yet "feminine").

Is it good to have shoes that have a strap in the front? Sort of like those shoes we used to wear when we were little girls?? I'm wearing pants so I doubt they can see the straps.
Tweetie, with this hairstyle that you're describing, what i do is to tie it not too tightly with an elastic, then turn the tail inside out (i.e. up and down through the middle). Sorry, it's hard to describe w/o visuals. This twists it, holds it securely & looks very elegant.

Your shoes sound fine if they're dressy & you're wearing pants. I'm going to wear pants w/ shiny black boots. Been trying to minimize having to spend extra $$ on accessories, since i can hardly afford the suit. I even considered wearing some nice black pants i already have & just buying the jacket, but my b/f convinced me that it doesn't look too sharp w/ mismatched fabrics. :D Too bad you don't have macy's--Nordstrom's a bit pricier, but you might come out a winner if there's a good thanksgiving sale. I'm going to spend some time rummaging thru the outlets & places like Marshall's & Ross' too. Happy shopping! :)

I can see Tweetie as a ballerina!

OK...

- I tried for 4 weeks to get in and get my nails done but no openings. I was very happy to see the dir. of admissions looked like she'd had her nails for breakfast.

- A director said to me..." did you accompany someone here? " ... uhm that really made me feel like Grandma. I could have died!

immediatespring,
If you don't wear make up, I wouldn't start now. you don't want to go in there looking really odd or have an allergic reaction to the make up! i've seen plenty of women without make up at my interviews. just make sure you still look well groomed

ladies, y'all are all beautiful. I'm sure that no matter what hairstyle you have, ya'll will look great...

tweetie,
if your mary jane's have heels then i think they will be fine. i found a really nice suit at nordstrom a couple of weeks ago. unfotunately you just missed their half yearly sale. the cheapest suit i saw there that wasn't on sale was something like $200 or $250 in their caslon brand. most of their suits are pretty pricey ($300-$500). it's always worth checking out stores like marshall's and tj maxx. sometimes they have some really nice things in them. my problem is that i need a petite suit, and those stores didn't have much to offer in the way of petite suits when i went.