Interview Handshake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birds123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post on here. Ok so I have recently become more interested in studying my religion and found something that may be a problem in interviews: handshaking. So I found out we are not allowed to touch people of the opposite gender (out of respect for them) unless its for necessity (like when they are receiving treatment works but just handshaking when you meet them doesnt) so I need help. How would I deal with this as a dentist with my patients or in my interviews? Please guide me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. This is my first post on here. Ok so I have recently become more interested in studying my religion and found something that may be a problem in interviews: handshaking. So I found out we are not allowed to touch people of the opposite gender (out of respect for them) unless its for necessity (like when they are receiving treatment works but just handshaking when you meet them doesnt) so I need help. How would I deal with this as a dentist with my patients or in my interviews? Please guide me. Thanks!

so.... how do people of your religion... reproduce?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/weekly_torah.php?id=16

OP, maybe this helps? If I were in your position, I'd go with holding the business card option.. Although I'm not sure how that would help you during the interview process. Maybe the two hands together and a slight, respectful bow? Just throwing ideas out.

Also, I'm guessing reproduction is something they would consider a necessity. We're all aspiring professionals and future colleagues. Let's try to respect one's religious beliefs (or lack thereof for the Richard Dawkins fans)..

If the person of the other sex sticks out their hand for a handshake, place your hand across your chest and say "Hello, this is how we (people who practice my religion) greet others." Make sure to still smile and appear friendly! You might even spark an interesting conversation and make yourself look more diverse. Good luck! :)

^^ much better advice. Completely agree.

Reproduce after marriage. I should have been more clear, no contact with them unless your married to them or they are ur family (like parents, siblings, aunt, uncle, cousins, etc)

These are good suggestions and I really appreciate them, plz keep them coming. Any other ideas?

Learn from the Asian culture my good friend. You greet/thank them with a respectful bow. Also like what someone mentioned above, use a business/personal contact info. card for an indirect contact.

Ask your family !!!!

They have more experience than you !

How can we answer this question ?

Making a great impression is a necessity IMO.

Reproduce after marriage. I should have been more clear, no contact with them unless your married to them or they are ur family (like parents, siblings, aunt, uncle, cousins, etc)

These are good suggestions and I really appreciate them, plz keep them coming. Any other ideas?

So when you are dating, absolutely no touching like holding hands? I am genuinely curious.

One will have to compromise for the other, don't be ridiculous. If you want to be a healthcare provider, you have to touch your patients, it's your job. I'm very good friends with some Muslim girls in my school and when I shake their hands they do something called a "washing/cleansing" before they pray.

The US will not compromise to any religion. If you want to do your job, you have to compromise. If you don't want to comprise, you have no business being in a career like this one.

The United States is religiously tolerant, not religiously run.

I am not an atheist btw, I'm a citizen, and all that I said extends over every religion, not just Islam.

Members don't see this ad :)
spock-1.jpg

I'm curious as well. So you're going to have to work on patients, are you okay working with members of the opposite sex? I would ask members of your religious community. There maybe medical professionals that can mentor you on this. I would figure this out soon.

As a Dentist with your patients it could be fairly simple to say something or have a sign, about not spreading germs with handshakes, just so your patients know that you are not being rude. Or the polite bow may work.

For interviews maybe you could call the schools specifically or write a polite letter. If you indicate beforehand about not shaking hands due to cultural norms it may be a way to avoid it without appearing rude. I might start with a phone call just to get a feel if the school is used to your situation. They might have suggestions as to how you can handle it.

As a Dentist with your patients it could be fairly simple to say something or have a sign, about not spreading germs with handshakes, just so your patients know that you are not being rude. Or the polite bow may work.

Westerners have been spreading a lot of "germs".

I don't know what religion you practice but if you are referring to the jewish tradition of not interacting with the opposite sex (which I believe to be ridiculous) then a simple google search would answer your question.

Dealing with patients:
"Besides touching family members, there are other exceptions to the shomer negiah rule, for example, a doctor treating a patient of the opposite sex. The rishonim, halakhic authorities who lived from the 11th-15th centuries, permitted a male doctor to examine a woman even if it involved touching, under the assumption that the doctor is preoccupied with his work (Nahmanides' Responsa 127, Tosafot Avodah Zarah 29a)."

Regarding the handshake:
"The issue of handshaking is more complex. The Jerusalem Talmud states, "Even if he is young, lust is not stirred by a momentary act" (Sotah 3:1). It is logical to consider handshaking a "momentary act", and therefore permit it."

Next time ask your priest, rabbi, imam...not SDN lol

why have you not commented on this post we all have given you so many opinions ?

I don't know what religion you practice but if you are referring to the jewish tradition of not interacting with the opposite sex (which I believe to be ridiculous) then a simple google search would answer your question.

Dealing with patients:
"Besides touching family members, there are other exceptions to the shomer negiah rule, for example, a doctor treating a patient of the opposite sex. The rishonim, halakhic authorities who lived from the 11th-15th centuries, permitted a male doctor to examine a woman even if it involved touching, under the assumption that the doctor is preoccupied with his work (Nahmanides' Responsa 127, Tosafot Avodah Zarah 29a)."

Regarding the handshake:
"The issue of handshaking is more complex. The Jerusalem Talmud states, "Even if he is young, lust is not stirred by a momentary act" (Sotah 3:1). It is logical to consider handshaking a "momentary act", and therefore permit it."

Next time ask your priest, rabbi, imam...not SDN lol

You pretty much hit the point there exactly. Thank you for all your replies! I really appreciate your comments and wish you all well for your journey in getting accepted into dental school and residencies!

You pretty much hit the point there exactly. Thank you for all your replies! I really appreciate your comments and wish you all well for your journey in getting accepted into dental school and residencies!

your welcome , . . . .. . . . .

If you do not want to be perceived by your interviewer as a freak, then extend your hand and shake their hand professionally and firmly. One thing you can not afford to screw over is the initial impression. I have been in the work place for some time and there is always a situation in which someone's tradition does not allow them to make physical contact of any sort (including handshake). From my experience it just creates an necessary awkward environment for both parties. Do not worry - you will most probably not be walking out with an evening date for that night. You can educate your interviewer about your religious preferences AFTER your interview.

As an aside, if you are Jewish, you are allowed to shake a person of the opposite gender's hand for professional purposes, and this is according to orthodox halacha. If you are muslim or affiliated with some other religious group, you may want to check with your a representative of your religious group.

so...how do you guys reproduce?

so...how do you guys reproduce?

This thread is old, and you asked a question that's already been answered.

He was trying to be funny, and you ruined it.

oh my mistake. I didn't realize that being insensitive toward another person's religion was considered humor.

This will be my last bump of this thread.