interview help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsrimport

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, I have gotten two interviews from the California School and Barry University. My question is I do not really know what to expect in the interview since this website does not have interview feedback for this profession. Please help me! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

gsrimport said:
Hi,

Well, I have gotten two interviews from the California School and Barry University. My question is I do not really know what to expect in the interview since this website does not have interview feedback for this profession. Please help me! Thank you.

The Cali interview is kind of a joke. Unless it has changed, it is a "group" interview with everyone else that is interviewing that day and they ask one or two questions. If you have gotten an interview there, that means that you are in. I didn't interview at Barry so I don't know much about them.

gsrimport said:
Hi,

At Barry, interviews are on Friday and Monday. THey begin about 10am and you'll have a presentation by financial aid, and then about the dual PMM/MBA degree. Next comes a tour of the school and lunch at the new student center (very good cafeteria there, I might add). Interviews will begin at 1pm and will be one-on-one with a faculty member who has your file with him/her. Most of the questions will concern things within your file: grades, MCAT, your personal statement, etc. It's pretty low key, though. THe people are really nice. The facilities are a little old. Weigand Center, where the 1st and 2nd year lecture rooms and cadaver lab are, was built in about 1970. They are working on a brand new Graduate Medical Sciences building, but that may still be a while. Oh.......it's really HOT there! Of course, you'll know in about a week if you made it in, so that's a good thing. Let me know if you need more answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
California's interviews are a joke. I did not like them. I interviewed last year and they brought all of us into a room and asked each of us two questions. The first one was "why do you want to go into podiatry?" and the other one was "why CSPM?" Then at the end of the interview they brought us into a room again and said that we were all accepted. Do not worry about this interview at all. Dr. Tran is a nice guy and everyone there is really nice in the interviews and guided tour.

discusdan said:
California's interviews are a joke. I did not like them. I interviewed last year and they brought all of us into a room and asked each of us two questions. The first one was "why do you want to go into podiatry?" and the other one was "why CSPM?" Then at the end of the interview they brought us into a room again and said that we were all accepted. Do not worry about this interview at all. Dr. Tran is a nice guy and everyone there is really nice in the interviews and guided tour.

How long does it take for cali to interview after u submit the application

I heard from them within about 2-3 days of submitting my application and had an interview about a week to a week and a half later.

Thanks for all the responses. My top choices are California, Barry and Arizona. I have yet to hear from Arizona though but I just sent in my application 2 days ago.

I recieved interview invites to California and Barry the day after I sent in my application. I believe the timing is important since they are still in the early decision process.

gsrimport said:
Thanks for all the responses. My top choices are California, Barry and Arizona. I have yet to hear from Arizona though but I just sent in my application 2 days ago.

I recieved interview invites to California and Barry the day after I sent in my application. I believe the timing is important since they are still in the early decision process.

Timing, I believe, is a really big part of it-- especially if you're looking at scholarship money, for instance. What seemed to impress the doctor who interviewed me at Barry the most was that I have a really high GPA and an MCAT score that is quite a few points higher than their average. My scores are more than good enough to get into allopathic or osteopathic medical schools, but I interviewed for podiatric medicine on only their second interview date of the year. We talked about the fact that most of the podiatric applicants in the past would apply at the end of the Spring, after they had been turned down by all the medical schools. But...for the last few years, good quality applicants have been applying early and the classes have been filling up early. Those good quality applicants who apply early are also the same ones who get the scholarship money. When you consider the cost of a medical education these days, that means a lot.

scpod said:
Timing, I believe, is a really big part of it-- especially if you're looking at scholarship money, for instance. What seemed to impress the doctor who interviewed me at Barry the most was that I have a really high GPA and an MCAT score that is quite a few points higher than their average. My scores are more than good enough to get into allopathic or osteopathic medical schools, but I interviewed for podiatric medicine on only their second interview date of the year. We talked about the fact that most of the podiatric applicants in the past would apply at the end of the Spring, after they had been turned down by all the medical schools. But...for the last few years, good quality applicants have been applying early and the classes have been filling up early. Those good quality applicants who apply early are also the same ones who get the scholarship money. When you consider the cost of a medical education these days, that means a lot.

So earliest to apply is september 1st right?
What are the average stats for the cali school?

thanks guys i would have been lost if it wasn't for this forum!

I have an update now. I have recieved interviews for DMU and Temple. Any interview feedback, environment, facilities and etc?

gsrimport said:
I have an update now. I have recieved interviews for DMU and Temple. Any interview feedback, environment, facilities and etc?

Dont sweat over the interview. Just be yourself and answer the questions honestly. You'll do fine. Be sure to visit DMU, you wont be disappointed. Good luck.

teefRcool said:
So earliest to apply is september 1st right?
What are the average stats for the cali school?

thanks guys i would have been lost if it wasn't for this forum!

All I an tell you about California is what I've read or heard in various forums, but this is from there website (a year old, maybe, but still a good indication):

Each year CSPM accepts a select group of 30-48 highly qualified candidates for admission. The following demographic profile represents the Class of 2008.

39 new entering students enrolled in the fall of 2004
The average science grade point average was 3.15
The average cumulative grade point average was 3.26
The average MCAT score was 22
Test scores from qualified applicants also included the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and the Dental Admission Test (DAT)
39% of the entering students are female
61% of the entering students are male
Students of color represent 23% of the entering class
The average age of the entering students was 26
56% of the entering students are residents of California
44% of the entering students come from states outside of California
The most common home states for entering students are:
California
Utah
Washington
The most common undergraduate schools attended by entering students are:
Brigham Young University