interview hold off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


New Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2010
Reaction score
So I've been receiving interview invites from a few schools right now,
but I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices.
I understand that you schedule an invite within a month or two,
but they ask you to accept/decline within ~2weeks of the interview?
Do you think it would be okay to hold off & wait to hear from the other schools
first or would it hurt my chances if I waited too long to schedule?
It's just that money's so tight right now, and I'd rather not have to
spend more $$ on traveling than need be.

All experience/advice welcome!

Members don't see this ad.
Ask the school how long they'd be willing to wait. Policies may change from year to year and from one circumstance to the next.
how long were you planning to "hold off"?

I would be nervous in holding off too long. Maybe set up an interview for at least one. What if your top choice(s) take a few months to get back to you? Personally, I would spend the money to have a backup school just in case.. I understand we are all in different financial situations, but I feel it would be a worthwhile investment.
I would definitely say to not put all your eggs in one basket. There is always the possibility, no matter how good your application and stats are, that you could do poorly in an interview and get rejected from your top choices. It is definitely a worthwhile investment to pick a backup school and go for an interview.