Interview Impressions for GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIJOES

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Use this thread to post interview impressions of programs after you have interviewed. State the strengths, weaknesses, faculty and fellow impressions and anything else you can think of (i.e. what questions they asked on your interview).:)

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for starting this.

As you all probably already know from residency interviews, the questions the interviewers ask are usually:

1. Tell me about yourself (you know they didn't read your application)

2. Tell me about your research (make sure you know this!!)

3. Why do you want to come to our program (I guess they don't know that it is so competitive these days that we will go to any program that offers us interviews).

4. Where else are you looking (this is an unfair question, because if you answer only in there state, they will think you have not received other interviews and are not competitive, on the other hand, if you say you are looking at X, Y, Z states, they will think you really don't want to be at their institution).:(

Difference between GI interviews is that you usually interview with 6-10 faculty members as opposed to 1-3 Internal Medicine faculty members during residency...can get really tired by the end of the day, so drink coffee:p

Members don't see this ad :)
hey buddy, thanks for the response. are you a 2nd year or 3rd year? also have you heard of programs doing interviews where its not just 1-1..like 3 faculty members per applicant or a panel style interview or 3-3 or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
hey buddy, thanks for the response. are you a 2nd year or 3rd year? also have you heard of programs doing interviews where its not just 1-1..like 3 faculty members per applicant or a panel style interview or 3-3 or something like that.

I am an AMG, R2 from a big name Univ Program. I don't know of any panel interviews, but there might be some out there. I will let you know when I go on more interviews, but usually the whole faculty or most of the faculty want to interview each candidate, since it is such a tight nitched field and they want to be sure they can all get along with you, so you need to be on top of your game towards all the interviewers.

Good luck!!

Just finished my interview at UF Gainsville: here are the highlights

Positives: :thumbup:
-Very strong academic program with great clinical training and with young faculty on there way to making it big.
-Great weather all year round.
-College town (might be a negative for some).
-Will finish ~1000 procedures by end of 3 years (~500 EGD's and 500 colons).
-Building a new endoscopy sweet with state of the art equipment across the street. T
-hey have NIH funding to receive a Master's degree in research within the 3 years of fellowship (they pay for it, so you get 18 months clnical, 18 months classes/research). Even if not in this specific track, if you want, you can dedicate from 6 -18 months of research (you decide).
-Fellows are really nice and seem happy.
-PD is a great guy, and wants the best training for fellows (very receptive to change things in the program that fellows want to change)
-Conferences are great (they see great cases).
-Has 4th year Transplant Hepatology and ERCP/EUS fellowship, which they almost always take a fellow within the program.
- q12 call and the more senior you become, still do q12, but do only 1 or 2 weekends and get holidays off
-Residents place all orders (I think this is standard across the board)

Negatives::thumbdown:
- Small city/college town, but can be postive if want to raise a family (can purchase a home ~150-250K)
- Doesn't have great shopping (as it is a small city)
- Slightly older looking hospital (needs to be updated)
- VA across the street, which you rotate through (as you can tell, I don't particularly like VA's...even though you have a lot of autonomy)
- Small airport with limited flights to other states (plus you have to connect to another city usually, making for longer travel times)

Overall:
:thumbup:If you are married and want to live in an affordable small city where UF/Shand's runs the city, and you want great clinical training with a possibility of matching in a 4th year ERCP or Hepatology fellowship without having to relocate, and like sunny days year round (with 3 months of humid summers), this is the program for you.

:thumbdown:If you are single, like shopping and the big city life, this might not be the program for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for sharing your experience, GIJOES.

Gastro7980.

SUNY downstate:
Interviewed this week: a middle tier NY program. Interviwed with 4 faculty.All appeared friendly. Interview questions focussed on research that I had done. Fellows were nice, though we got to meet them at the end of the day. Some disorganization was apparent in coordinating all the interviews, but all in all evryone was friendly. It is a busy program, in Brooklyn, so if you have children, you might want to live a little further away. The fellows don't have to be in hospital for nigth calls, but get called in 25% of the time during one of their four rotations.You have to pay for parking too...

Good thing is they are into research and teaching seems to be good. NO ERCP experience, so if you are looking into it, consider a fourth year elsewhere. Most fellows go into private practice. The faculty at VA rotate there too...

They interviwed 30 people for 5 spots, of which 3 will be going through the match.

Thank you GIJOES and www for your contributions to this thread. Have either of you or anyone else interviewed at Ohio State Univ (my first interview coming up, have others after that, but am a bit nervous though)? If so, please share with us how that went. If not, I'll share my impressions of that interview and the others as they proceed.

Thank you GIJOES and www for your contributions to this thread. Have either of you or anyone else interviewed at Ohio State Univ (my first interview coming up, have others after that, but am a bit nervous though)? If so, please share with us how that went. If not, I'll share my impressions of that interview and the others as they proceed.

Didn't apply there, but I am sure you will be fine. Make sure you know your research well and just be yourself.

Didn't apply there, but I am sure you will be fine. Make sure you know your research well and just be yourself.

I didn't apply there as well.

Interviewed at the program this weekend. Was impressed by their GI department. Apparently they are the oldest of the Missouri State Universities. Interviewing 24 aplpicants for one 2008 and two 2009 positions [they recently received the go-ahead from ACGME to expand the program].

Strengths:

1. Nice faculty- have 11 faculty members as of now- looking to expand to 18 in the near future.
2. Lots of scopy experience- according to their fellows, they notch up 1000 each EGD and colonoscopies by the middle of their third year.
3. State of the art scopy center with all the latest equipment. They do a lot of cutting edge scopy procedures [endoscopic necrosectomy, and a lot of other things which I haven't even heard of]
4. All fellows seemed very happy- very friendly faculty and staff
5. Purely consult and ambulatory oriented service
6. Light calls- calls are a week at a time- they get called into the hospital maybe once or twice a week
7. Very good opportunities for advanced fellowships- they have 2 ERCP/EUS fellows. One of their fellows just matched into MGH for advanced endoscopy fellowship
8. Nice small town- no crime- low cost of living- no traffic blocks
9. they don't expect everyone to go into academics otr research- looking to incorporate a private service rotation to give their fellows a taste of what provate practice is like.
10. 4 weeks of vacation a year with additional educational leave and financial support for conferences if you have an accepted presentation
11. Only program in Missouri to receive a continuous 5-yr accreditation [this includes Wash U]

Weaknesses:

1. Few ERCPs- probably 50 by the end of fellowship
2. No liver transplant experience
3. Fledgling basic science research [if you are interested in this], although they are looking to expand this
4. small town- nearest majot airports are Kansas City and St. Louis, both of which are 2 hrs drive.

Interview Questions:

1. What will you do if you don't match this year?
2. What are your weaknesses
3. Tell me something about yourself which is not apparent from your CV
4. What are you extra-curricular interests

Overall. a very nice GI program which should be near the top of anyone's ranklist.

A REQUEST TO EVERYONE WHO IS READING THIS. THIS FORUM WILL NOT WORK WITH JUST 2-3 GUYS POSTING THEIR IMPRESSIONS. EVERYONE SHOULD CONTRIBUTE, INSTEAD OF JUST READING AND MOVING ON. I'M NOT CRAZY TO BE SITTING HERE AFTER NIGHT-FLOAT AND TAKING TIME TO TYPE THIS HUGE MESSAGE. HOPE THIS WIL SPUR MORE IMPRESSIONS FROM OTHERS.

I would really appreciate if anyone would share their interview experience at SUNY Buffalo. I have an interview coming up there. I will post my experience as soon as Iam done with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
very broad attending expertise....i think 16 faculty (for 6 fellows). motility, IBD, capsule, ERCP, EUS, esophagus, liver, transplant hepatology (although surgeons have yet to start transplants--soon). very aggressive endoscopy with a couple NOTES cowboys and a second EUS/ERCP guy coming in.

inpt c/s months 4 first year, 1.5 second year, and 3rd year is pretty much yours to design. more ambulatory than other programs. cover dartmouth - hitchcock and VA in vt . home hospital very modern, did not see VA but hear it's one of the better ones.

extremely cohesive department. you have to want to make a career in this rural a setting. very collegial. fellows are quite nice and helpful.

interviews with one or both program directors, and about 5 other faculty. relaxed, no checklist of q's, no hammering you on the details of your research methods etc.

Some comments about the programs quoted above ( I am interested in GI and my relatives are in academic GI )

1. University of Missouri: A weak program. They lost very good faculty over the last couple of years. EUS/ERCP person is gone. No strong research ( clinical or basic science). Faculty are nice folks. They do not have 11 faculty as listed above. Some of the listed faculty are adjunct faculty ( a JD, a NP, a PhD and a hepatologist clinical instructor waiting to start a fellowship).

2. Dartmoth: A very strong GI program

3. University of Florida: Strong clinical program. Not much of prominent GI research. Faculty are young and nice. Great EUS/ERCP program. Have a transplant program.

4. Univ of Alabama: Strong program. No sure how much reserach training fellows can get. They do have a Master in clinical reasearch program( mainly cost-effectiveness stuff).

5. Wake Forest Univ: Very nice faculty. Strong in motility and EUS/ERCP.
Some basic science research. Has some clinical reserach

Once ranking is closed, will try to put some reviews from interviews. Hopefully we can get this started for people to use next year...

Can we get this started for this interview season? I am wondering what people thought of University of Rochester, Jefferson, and UMass.

Congratulations for everyone had interviews and Matched!
Welcome the interview experiences!

I'll post my interview experiences along with my classmates' experiences. We both matched.

UMDNJ Newark - Has 3 spots. Takes 2 internal and 1 external yearly. Interviews 15 applicants. Overall mediocre program. GI and hepatology are actually separate divisions. There are 3-4 hepatology fellows that are separate from the GI program. Very clinical program with little or no research.

U. Cincinnati - Recently expanded to 4 spots. Generally takes externally. Mediocre clinical program with little research. Most research seems to be basic science-oriented. Area was not very safe.

Penn State - Has 2 spots. Usually takes 1 internally. Interviews 10-15 applicants. Medical center is expanding with a new heme/onc building. Mediocre clinical program. Not much to do in Hershey if you're single. Clinical program.

Penn - Has 5 spots. Completely varies yearly on how many internal candidates you take. Research heavy with focus on academic medicine. Less clinical program, but still good training. Has 3 tracks. Most fellow are either from top notch residency programs.

NYU - Has 4 spots with some preference for internals. Strong clinical program in Manhattan. Definitely top 5 in NY behind Columbia, Cornell, and Mt Sinai. Rotations are through multiple hospitals.

Temple - Has 4 spots, but 1 is guaranteed for their motility fellow. Takes 1 internally. Strong clinical program that is becoming more academic and actually considered to be the 2nd most academic in Philadelphia behind Penn. Known for their motility.

U. Maryland - Has 4 spots, but 2 are clinical and 2 are in the NIH scholars program. Do not believe there is a preference for internals. Strong clinical program. Good in IBD and transplant hepatology.

Robert Wood Johnson - Has 2 spots, takes 1 internally. Clinical program with not a lot of research. Felt like a better program than UMDNJ in Newark. Fellows seemed busy.

Jefferson - Has 3 spots and takes 2 internally. Clinical program with research. Recognized on US News, but after interviewing throughout the entire NJ/PA/NYC region, many considered Jefferson to be 3rd most academic program in Philly. Good in transplant hepatology.

UPMC - Has 5 spots? Mostly takes internals, but varies on the year. Does take exceptional externals. Very large hospitals Presby and Montefiore that are attached to each other. Clinical program with research. Very safe and in college area of Pittsburgh. Good in everything.

Allegheny General - Has 4 spots, takes 2 internals. UPMC's only competitor in Pittsburgh, but is losing the battle. Having financial problems. Otherwise decent clinical program. No transplant hepatology.

Cornell - Has 2 spots, takes 1 internal. Don't forget about Memorial Sloan Kettering which is a separate program but is tied to Cornell. Strong clinical program with some research. Surprised it was a small program compared to other Manhattan powerhouse fellowships. Strong in IBD.

Excellent post, Bile Duct, thank you for your experience!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Good luck to everyone!

Couple years old so may be out of date, but hopes its useful…

BIDMC: Takes a lot of there own internal candidates. Excellent Liver faculty (the biggest strength) and transplant fellowship program. Excellent IBD faculty (has IBD fellowship), you get limited exposure to advanced cases, like most academic centers scoping number is on the moderate end of things. Excellent opportunity for research.

Wash U: If its the same Chairman (English guy) make sure you do NOT mention wanting to do advanced endoscopy as a career choice. Excellent research opportunity, faculty seemed very friendly, can't remember scoping numbers. Limited exposure to advanced cases.

UColorado: Easily the best endoscopy suites I have seen, great view of the mountains. The endoscopy suite was supposed to be the OR suite. Incredible Liver exposure (big center), I remember the PD telling me you don't touch an advanced scope. They also want you to do research but you get a good number of procedures

UConn: Do a ton of procedures including ERCP, EUS. You rotate through different hospitals doing procedures but you only cover UConn overnight so not too many calls overnight when you are call (when I interviewed there thats what the fellows told me). Very clinical program, strong with endoscopy. PD was a great guy.

Dartmouth: Biggest draw back is you in the middle of nowhere but cost of living is cheap. You get good exposure to procedures, great place if you want to do advanced cases. They usually pick advanced fellows from their own program. I remember the Chair (great guy) talking about a gallbladder he had removed endoscopically

BWH: Great research opportunities, they have Peter Banks who is a big pancreas guy so if you are leaning towards pancreas this is the place to go. His office is incredible, and he gets a lot of grants. I like the fact you get to work with a prison population. When I was there they had the lowest procedural numbers (followed by BIDMC). Again this may have changed. I remember 2 3rd year fellows telling me they didn't feel comfortable doing colonoscopies by themselves, but they wanted to do research and have a lab so they didn't care.

Brown: Excellent procedure exposure, most of there fellows go on to do advanced procedures so it tells you something about the program. Busy program but the fellows seemed to get a lot of autonomy. There are opportunities to do liver research but I get the sense that a lot of the fellows preferred doing endoscopy. Faculty were excellent. Not great liver transplant exposure but they do give you the option of doing an away rotation (usually Mt Sinai). They take a Women's fellow every 3 years. Do a lot of fecal transplant.

Cornell: Worst interview day, it was so disorganized so hopefully this improved as I liked a few of the faculty members. The fellows used to get a lot of exposure to ERCPs and EUS and one I spoke to got enough to be certified when he graduated. THey had just started the advanced spot so I don't know if this has changed. Very busy program and call, this was one of the few places that the call was evenly distributed between all fellow years. Most places the 1st years take most of the call then 2nd years then 3rd years. Good liver exposure too.

That's all I remember. I guess better than nothing

Matched at #3 (Hopkins). Interviewed mostly on east coast. Applied to 50 programs. Offered 21 Interviews. Attended 14.

I thought Mount Sinai and Penn were excellent really wanted to go to Penn. Penn had excellent faculty, research, and excellent opportunities. Mount Sinai just recruited top notch faculty and like always strong in IBD, but felt like some candidates had the inside track judging from the interview interactions.

Yale-great program, president elect AGA Allen is there so is Laine. Great program. Agree with Linus on Cornell and BWH.

Columbia: very disorganized. Didn't see any fellows. This was top of list going into interviews, but fell on my list.

UNC: Liked this program, but did not like location.

MidWest: Colorado program was wonderful.

UTSW: building new hospitals this year and next. Outstanding research opportunities. Great faculty. Fellows were all friendly.

One last note, I felt letters, research, and pedigree had a lot to do with getting interviews. However, I felt the interview was a big part of the selection process.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

First time poster, but have been using this site off and on since medical school. I matched into GI this year (hooray!) and hope this info can be helpful to others. I applied to 21 programs, received interviews at 17, and attended 12. I realize that # applied to can vary greatly depending on background, geographic preference, etc. I felt that applying to ~20 was a good number, but I was exhausted after attending 12 interviews.

My impressions of those I attended:

----West cost----

UW: I loved everything about this place. Fellows were down to Earth, approachable, affable, and seemed to really enjoy fellowship in general. The interview day consisted of about 8 applicants, with ~4-5 interviews each, one with the PD and one with the division chief. The PD was incredibly welcoming, clearly someone who loves his job and is "fellow-centric". My impression is that it is a primarily clinical program with a growing research reputation. Call is divided over the three years and you end up averaging call about once a week. Scoping experience is above average for a large academic center.

UCSF: The interview day consisted of about 12 applicants, with several (8?) interviews of 2-3 faculty each. It was a little daunting, but nice to meet a significant portion of the Division, including the PD, APDs, and division chief. You also spend a lot of time with fellows, half the day is spent touring SF with them. I had two main takeaways: (1) fellows are independent and confident, probably because they are (2) worked very hard. Call is q2 for the first year (6 fellows a year, three sites = 2 fellows/site). I was surprised that vacation weeks are not covered by 2/3 years...your co-fellow at that site become q1....all of this equates to tons of clinical experience, ridiculous #s of scopes, and (since there is no advanced endoscopy fellow) plenty of experience with advanced cases as well. It seems like fellows are almost independent endoscopists midway through. There was a bit of a concern over the amount of teaching they get despite the hours they work.

UCLA: very large interview day 30-40, several (6-7) interviews each. I met the co division chief, did not interview with the PD. Similar to UCSF, fellows work hard. They cover 6 hospitals. Call ends up being q2, or at some sites, 1 week on, 1 week off. Sounds like next year Cedars will have their own GI fellowship, so it will no longer be one of the sites. The hospital is beautiful and it's hard to top southern California weather. Fellows seemed a bit over worked, but clinically very strong.

--MIDWEST--

Northwestern: about 12 applicants, 8 interviews each. I met with the PD and chief. Main takeaways were that fellows are happy, strike a nice work-life balance, call schedule is manageable, NW Memorial is beautiful, and the lunch was amazing. The division chief strikes me as a bit eccentric, but clearly a national leader in motility and runs a strong division that is getting stronger. NW is poaching faculty left and right from UChicago and others nationwide. They have the money and ambition to do so. I do think at this point they are, along with Michigan, tops in the Midwest.

Michigan: about 15 applicants, about 7-8 interviews each including PD and chief. I was very impressed with everything from the interview day starting with the PD. He was very welcoming and clearly dedicated to fellow education and mentorship. I very much enjoyed speaking with each faculty member and felt each one felt an obligation support fellows through the program. Multiple leaders in GI are current faculty. It is one of a handful of programs that offers formal research training and the opportunity to receive a Masters in the three years of fellowship. Call is divided among the 21 fellows over three years, aka q21 call (!!!). There is also night float home call system, meaning regular call ends at 5 or 7 PM....I don't think you can beat this call schedule anywhere you end up. I thought the fellows were nice and approachable.

--EAST COAST--

Hopkins: about 10 applicants, 6 interviews each, including the PD. Division chief was not there. I enjoyed the tour given by the PD. Faculty were a mixed bag, some genuinely interested in learning about you, some seemed to be riding on the Hopkins reputation. The interview day was hopelessly disorganized, with most interviews starting almost an hour late, no one coming to get you or showing the way to your next interview. Call is front loaded, emphasis is definitely on research. Pay is poor (think pay cut from intern year), especially given that Baltimore is surprisingly expensive to live in. I am not sure what impression I received from the fellows. I guess they are, for the most part, satisfied.

Penn: about 8-10 applicants, 4 interviews each. Did not interview with PD or division chief, although both were present. Definitely was the quickest interview day, out by 11 AM. I think no doubt one of the strongest Divisions in the country. Division chief has an amazing reputation of being one of the most supportive, accomplished, yet humble leaders in GI (was AGA president last year). Only met one fellow on interview day, but did attend dinner night before and met a couple more then - all seemed down to earth. Call q3, and front loaded to first year. Heavy emphasis on research years 2/3.

Columbia: did not enjoy this one and will leave it at that.

NYU: 4 applicants, 4 interviews, including PD and chief. Awesome people, but not as research rigorous as I wanted. For a primarily clinical program with a very supportive PD, I think this is an excellent choice. Other benefit is that all sites are basically on the same couple of blocks = no driving, short walks, able to make all conferences with ease. Not sure if there are private attendings at Tisch, but sounds painful if that's the case.

Yale: 8 applicants, 4-5 interviews. I thought the faculty were, for the most part, easy to talk to. The fellows seemed genuinely happy. Research opportunities are there, including some limited opportunities to acquire additional research training. I thought the fellows trying to convince us that New Haven was a cool city was a stretch, but at least they didn't seem to be on the spectrum like at some programs.

MGH: 8 applicants, 8-9 interviews including chief, PD, APDs. I think very similar to the program at Penn, but even more research focused. Many, if not most fellows are MD/PhD. Most are, as you would expect, from the Harvard family. Schedule is front loaded. Call first year I believe q3. Final 2/3 years are for scholarly pursuits. There is the opportunity to obtain a MPH from HSPH if you do a fourth year. Faculty are world renowned as one would expect. It was unclear why they didn't have an advanced fellowship. It was also unclear why general GI fellows didn't get more advanced experience if there was no advanced fellow. We met multiple first and 2/3 years during the day, which is always a good sign.

Brigham: 5 applicants, 4 interviews including PD and APD. Did not meet the Division chief. Overall vibe was one that was very welcoming from the program directors and fellowship coordinator. Fellows seemed like "normal" people you would hang out with outside of work. Rotate at three sites, including a VA and community hospital. Call is front loaded, about q3 I believe. # procedures is on par with most of the large East cost academic programs. The program at BWH allows the opportunity to earn a MPH at HSPH within the three year fellowship, which as I said above, is a unique and tremendous opportunity. One negative is the lack of transplant hep, but that is made for through rotations at MGH. Advanced endocopy is strong. With Dana Farber next door, superb opportunities in GI oncology.

Finally, I agree that pedigree gets you in the door. Beyond that, letters, connections, and interest in research are all important. Some programs require an extra letter (IM PD + 3 - UCSF/UW). Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 4 users
Would like to add minor comments to the east coast programs with which I am more familiar:

Brigham/MGH: MGH does have an advanced fellowship program: transplant hepatology. Brigham also has an advanced fellowship: therapeutic endoscopy. The feeling there is that these are sister training programs within the Harvard system, and ultimately complement one another. Of course, this doesn't really explain why BID provides both advanced fellowships.

Hopkins: Call is actually spread evenly throughout 3 years, not front loaded. The fellow covers either Hopkins or Bayview hospital during call. This means weekday calls are ~q7d and each fellow has 6-8 weekend calls given there are 14-15 GI fellows at any given time. Inpatient service is predominantly 1st year, though 2nd/3rd years do also have some inpatient time. There are multiple distinct tracks: basic research (T32), clinical investigation (T32), clinical scholar. The clinical investigation tracks offers the opportunity for masters/PhD in clinical investigation, but does require a 4th year of fellowship. Finally, there are four in-house advanced fellowships: transplant hepatology, therapeutic endoscopy, IBD, motility.

--EAST COAST--

Hopkins: about 10 applicants, 6 interviews each, including the PD. Division chief was not there. I enjoyed the tour given by the PD. Faculty were a mixed bag, some genuinely interested in learning about you, some seemed to be riding on the Hopkins reputation. The interview day was hopelessly disorganized, with most interviews starting almost an hour late, no one coming to get you or showing the way to your next interview. Call is front loaded, emphasis is definitely on research. Pay is poor (think pay cut from intern year), especially given that Baltimore is surprisingly expensive to live in. I am not sure what impression I received from the fellows. I guess they are, for the most part, satisfied.

Penn: about 8-10 applicants, 4 interviews each. Did not interview with PD or division chief, although both were present. Definitely was the quickest interview day, out by 11 AM. I think no doubt one of the strongest Divisions in the country. Division chief has an amazing reputation of being one of the most supportive, accomplished, yet humble leaders in GI (was AGA president last year). Only met one fellow on interview day, but did attend dinner night before and met a couple more then - all seemed down to earth. Call q3, and front loaded to first year. Heavy emphasis on research years 2/3.

Columbia: did not enjoy this one and will leave it at that.

NYU: 4 applicants, 4 interviews, including PD and chief. Awesome people, but not as research rigorous as I wanted. For a primarily clinical program with a very supportive PD, I think this is an excellent choice. Other benefit is that all sites are basically on the same couple of blocks = no driving, short walks, able to make all conferences with ease. Not sure if there are private attendings at Tisch, but sounds painful if that's the case.

Yale: 8 applicants, 4-5 interviews. I thought the faculty were, for the most part, easy to talk to. The fellows seemed genuinely happy. Research opportunities are there, including some limited opportunities to acquire additional research training. I thought the fellows trying to convince us that New Haven was a cool city was a stretch, but at least they didn't seem to be on the spectrum like at some programs.

MGH: 8 applicants, 8-9 interviews including chief, PD, APDs. I think very similar to the program at Penn, but even more research focused. Many, if not most fellows are MD/PhD. Most are, as you would expect, from the Harvard family. Schedule is front loaded. Call first year I believe q3. Final 2/3 years are for scholarly pursuits. There is the opportunity to obtain a MPH from HSPH if you do a fourth year. Faculty are world renowned as one would expect. It was unclear why they didn't have an advanced fellowship. It was also unclear why general GI fellows didn't get more advanced experience if there was no advanced fellow. We met multiple first and 2/3 years during the day, which is always a good sign.

Brigham: 5 applicants, 4 interviews including PD and APD. Did not meet the Division chief. Overall vibe was one that was very welcoming from the program directors and fellowship coordinator. Fellows seemed like "normal" people you would hang out with outside of work. Rotate at three sites, including a VA and community hospital. Call is front loaded, about q3 I believe. # procedures is on par with most of the large East cost academic programs. The program at BWH allows the opportunity to earn a MPH at HSPH within the three year fellowship, which as I said above, is a unique and tremendous opportunity. One negative is the lack of transplant hep, but that is made for through rotations at MGH. Advanced endocopy is strong. With Dana Farber next door, superb opportunities in GI oncology.

Finally, I agree that pedigree gets you in the door. Beyond that, letters, connections, and interest in research are all important. Some programs require an extra letter (IM PD + 3 - UCSF/UW). Hope this is helpful!

Agreed with previous posts. Would like to add the following with emphasis in the research/T32 track as thats what I applied

Duke: 3-4 spots per year, not all go into academic (50/50) except the T32 spot which will provide a Masters if desire, great clinical training and well balanced. Call frontloaded first year

MGH: 4 spots per year, very academic and heavy in research (mostly in basic science), usually 3/4 spots will go to either their own Harvard-affiliates hospitals. Call is q3 first year, and almost no call in last two years. Also a masters from HSPH if desires

BWH: 5 spots with calls front-loaded first year, masters from HSPH is optional but have to apply for fund if wanted to pursue as their fund/grants (from Peter Banks) is drying out and they only give you if they deemed your research is plausible. About 75% graduates go into academic, PD seems cool

Hopkins: 5 spots with 1 clinical investigator (T32) spot this year which provides PhD from Bloomberg if completes the requirements, calls are distributed evenly throughout, excellent PD and research opportunity, salary cut is negative side

Mayo: 7-8 spots per year, schedules are balanced with good research opportunities, able to get a Masters but most would take 3 years+, location is a big negative for this program, thus might not able to attract the top applicants. PD is very friendly and down-to-earth

UCSF: 6 spots with crazy call schedule q2 on first year and may be another 6 months after that...excellent clinical training and procedure...able to do advanced procedures as they dont have advanced endoscopy fellowship...surprisingly, 50% goes into private instead of academi

Cleveland Clinic: 6 spots, good volume and clinical training, research and academic training might be lacking if not on T32 track,

Cooper
I loved the attendings, the fellows, the schedule...everything. It's a block system, so on clinic month you do clinic only, advanced month advanced only, etc... Call is spread evenly and not bad at all. Their placement is fantastic, as they go out of their way to help fellows achieve their career goals. From what the fellows were saying, they feel like colleagues with their attendings from day 1, and it really came across that way. Many procedures to be had, exposure to advanced, and Cooper understands the importance of investing in their infrastructure...it seems like they recognize quality doctors and go out of their way to keep them. There is close connection to Rowan and many opportunities to teach as well. The program director is quite funny and very personable. He was genuinely interested in relaying his own enthusiasm toward fellow education, which seemed to translate into a positive, supportive work environment.

Rutgers
Busy program with a separate Hepatology division and Hep Fellows. Inner-city population of patients with lots of diverse pathology. The thing that stood out the most here was how busy the fellows seemed...it may have been an atypical day though. I would not want to live in Newark, but the program seemed like it would be an excellent place to train in clinical GI.

Beth Israel NY Mount Sinai
Excellent program in my opinion. You get to work with quite a few attendings, which may be a negative or a positive depending on how you look at it. If you are into Advanced Endoscopy, this is the place to be...they seemed quite keen on recruiting personnel adamantly enthusiastic about advanced endoscopy. With the faculty they have, I can absolutely understand why. I think they are poised to become a "Center of Excellence" in NY as far as upper endoscopy is concerned.

Winthrop
This was a very interesting place...the GI in charge of Advanced is a nationally recognized expert. The population was very lower middle to middle middle SES. Lots of emphasis on preventative medicine and therefore screening. Everyone was friendly, and the service did not seem overly consulted by any means. On the one hand they cover lots of bread and butter GI, on the other they have excellent advanced facilities and get a good amount of referrals for this.

NYHQ
I was impressed by two factors: 1. The number of procedures that are done. One of the outgoing fellows stated that she logged something close to 2K...based on what I've heard from other programs (1K-1.5K by the end of fellowship) this seemed quite high, but all of the fellows reiterated that they are in on an absolute deluge of cases. One of them mentioned that, after their first year, they had already logged quite a few ERCP's 2. The fellows mentioned that the program director was someone they loved working with and for; they felt confident that he would support them in any situation and he routinely asked for feedback to improve their education and time at the hospital. What more could you ask for? The affiliation with Cornell is a plus, as it gives you a student population if you are into teaching. The population is about as diverse as you could ever hope for (C'mon, it's Queens after all). Some negatives...it's structured like a traditional program, so you can wear multiple hats on a day-to-day basis...clinic, consults, scopes, etc. There are only 3 fellows so you take call every 3rd night all 3 years. Still, I would have taken that to be a part of that many procedures.

NYMC
Of the places I interviewed, this one seemed to offer the most balance of training. They build quite a few Hep months into the curriculum, so exposure to that is certainly not lacking. Furthermore, their catchment area is massive, all along the Hudson Valley, and they see most of the cirrhotics and transplant candidates for a huge tract of upper NY. The impression I got is that they are capable of many procedures that surrounding hospitals aren't, and the goal is produce well rounded, clinically excellent GI's with a curriculum to back it up.

NSLIJ
This was the busiest hospital I visited. The fellows were scattered the day i interviewed. It wasn't a generally inviting atmosphere, and they really like where their program is headed with plans to expand in terms of transplant medicine. Nobody was shy in touting how much NSLIJ takes care of its own, which would be nice if you match there. Expectation for research is divided amongst the clinical crowd and straight up benchwork. My fellow interviewees actually had the most impressive research (well, that they told me about anyway) here, with lots of applicants published in high impact journals for basic science research. Honestly, I felt out of place here, but this program would be well suited for someone gearing toward an academic lifestyle...at the very least, hospital based.

Drexel
The patient population was one of the key selling points of the program. It's an inner-city program with low SES patients, and that translates into a lot of varied and advanced pathology. They noted that they increased the amount of clinic time to balance that out with more chronic, long term patients as opposed to just the disasters which, in the impression I got from their fellows, is what they deal with on an inpatient basis. The program director seemed very interested in fostering an academic atmosphere, and clinical research is encouraged. Fellows were excited about the expanding motility lab. They quoted an average number of procedures done by the end of fellowship, with good placement after that.

Albany
I really enjoyed speaking with the PD here. Very nice gentleman and would really like to work with/for him. The hospital seemed very "fellow-run." A good amount of leeway given to senior fellows to act as junior attendings, which would be excellent experience for the real world thereafter. Nothing negative stood out at all...it just seemed like the fellows were part of the clubhouse and the attendings enjoyed teaching them!

WVU
They had the best campus of all the programs I visited. The fellows seemed really happy. The curriculum here seemed to be a bit more structured as well than some other places...dedicated conference, lecture, and journal review times...and a lot of them on a weekly basis...I saw this as a positive. The population seemed quite homogenous, reflective of WV I guess from what I saw. Very nice facilities as well, but the main attraction here was that all of the faculty members were approachable and seemed like they would be great to work with. Program itself is a little in flux as the current PD is an interim (although he is extremely nice and you get to work with him in IBD clinic). They are also bringing in some advanced attendings. There is no liver transplant program, but they will accommodate anyone who wants exposure to one by facilitating away rotations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
does any one know list of programs that certify fellows by 3rd year in ERCP / EUS?

does any one know list of programs that certify fellows by 3rd year in ERCP / EUS?

There isn't one. No program will PROMISE that you will be certified in 3 years...only suggest that there are enough cases IF a fellow shows interest and aptitude and IF he/she hustles to get them done to be certified.

which programs even offer you that??

There's no list for even that...you more or less find out on interview day by asking. Alternative is to look up # of procedures each hospital does and extrapolate. GENERALLY, I found that more community-setting hospitals have a higher fellow/procedure ratio, but this is certainly not true across the entire spectrum of academic vs community institutions. Furthermore, depending on what you want to do, it may or may not be offered at a particular place. Example: want to be proficient in double balloon? Not all places do it...some rely on capsule for small bowel imaging, others ct/mri, others use a combination.

Your best bet is apply to where you are going to apply anyway, see where you get an interview, go to the interviews, and have questions ready!

I am an applicant in the current GI Fellowship season, and I wanted to ask people who applied last year if they could post their interview impressions. It would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful for us applicants.
Thanks in advance!!!

Posted a bunch a few posts up

Yes, thanks nyscope!!! They were super informative. I'm also interested to read some impressions on programs in Chicago/Dallas/Houston if there are any lurkers hanging around from prior years.

Thanks!!!

Anytime. I'd say I wish I had more to report, but I am very thankful that I had as many as I did.

Anytime. I'd say I wish I had more to report, but I am very thankful that I had as many as I did.
What happened to your thread man, you never updated it

No one ever asked any follow up questions! Also, a lot of good information ended up being scattered through several threads. After boards I'll do my best to consolidate it

Appreciated all of the interview impressions from past years so I thought I would add my own from my interview cycle this year. Mix from all over the country, with a focus on transplant hepatology and academics which is my interest. Tried to write more on the programs which haven't been covered in the last few years.

UC Davis

3 fellows/year. Heavy clinical focus - 90% of fellows end up in private practice. 3rd year fellows get a good deal of ERCP exposure as there is no advanced fellow, and the only place I went which felt comfortable saying their fellows could do routine ERCP in practice. No liver transplant program - they apparently had a program ~10 years ago, but it was stopped as they couldn't compete with UCSF and Stanford. Super friendly residents and attendings.

UCSD

2-4 clinical fellows and 1 T32 fellow, but applying for an additional clinical spot. Rotate through several hospitals (Hillcrest which is the county hospital, Thornton is the university hospital, VA, and local Kaiser). Call schedule slightly unusual - 1 week straight (with some additional help on the weekend), with about 9 weeks of call during the first year. 40 or so liver transplants/year, but for some reason has the only transplant fellowship in southern California (UCLA and USC don't have one), and participates in the pilot program.

USC

3-5 fellows/year. 75% of time at LA County, remainder split between Keck (university hospital) and Norris Cancer Center which are all on the same campus. Very heavy clinical exposure, to the point where apparently the 2nd and 3rd year fellows staff the 1st years overnight and the attendings rarely come in - because the 2nd/3rd years are that confident in their abilities. Not as much of a research focus. High volume transplant center (120/year) but no fellowship. One nice perk: $10 per meal, x3 meals, x3 hospitals = $90/day of cafeteria money that doesn't roll over at the end of the day, so cafeteria rounds are apparently a thing...

Colorado

4-5 fellows/year. Lot of research time (18 months). Strong liver program, 90-100 txp per year, both living and deceased donor. Three hospitals (university hospital, county hospital, and VA) which unfortunately are not that close, maybe 20-30 min apart.

UT Southwestern

6 clinical and 1-2 T32 fellows/year. 2/3 of time is at Parkland, remainder is split between university hospital, VA, and 1-2 mo at private hospital. 50% of graduates go academic, 50% private. Parkland and the university hospital are both brand new (within the last 2 years) and gorgeous. Transplant program growing, up to 50-60 livers/year, and currently applying for a transplant hep fellowship.

Mayo Rochester

7 clinical fellows, 1-2 T32 fellows. As impressive as their reputation, one interesting sidenote is that all patients seen on inpatient consult are set up to follow with you in outpatient clinic for the rest of your fellowship which seems very cool. 2nd year is dedicated research for all fellows, no clinical duties, which is also unusual, but they do brag that their fellows average something ridiculous like 15 publications during their fellowship. Living in Rochester is obviously the big downside.

Saint Louis University

4 fellows/year. Clinical heavy program with growing research focus, 6-9 mo dedicated research time. Spend most time at university hospital, but also maybe 20-30% of time at VA hospital and private hospital. No hepatology fellowship, but hiring new surgeons and trying to increase their numbers. Still probably overshadowed by WashU.

Case Western

1-3 clinical fellows and 1 T32 fellow. The T32 fellow alternates every other year with Cleveland Clinic, which is pretty weird, so only one program has a T32 spot in a given year. No in-house motility experience, have clinics set up at Metrohealth for this. Does have advanced and transplant fellowships (with pilot program option for hepatology), 30-40 txp the last year but has been lower in the past years. Interview day was very disorganized - had you show up early for fellows conference then ignored between when conference ended and interview day started, then one of the fellows that was supposed to be interviewing was stuck on rounds and ran late, then the department chair was also running late and pushed everything back.

Cleveland Clinic

3-4 clinical fellows, 1 T32 fellow (which alternates with CWRU). Almost all your time is at the main campus. High volume transplant (120-140/year). Does have a bit of a different feel from most other academic fellowships - there is a bit of a corporate feel here compared to other academic places. 3 months nutrition, which is more than most places.

Cincinnati

3 fellows/year. Most time is spent at university hospital, some at VA. PD very personable and really works to have the schedule fit your needs. Department chair is not as friendly and heavy into basic (over clinical) research. 60-80 liver transplant/year, and their fellowship is participating in the pilot program.

Michigan

5 clinical and 2 T32 fellows. 2/3 time at university hospital, 1/3 at VA. Can apply for MSCE program through RWJ. Very heavy academic and research focus. q21 call!

Johns Hopkins

5 fellows/year. Very heavy research focus. 2/3 time at Hopkins Hospital, 1/3 at Bayview. 70-80 liver transplant/year, and transplant fellowship is participating in the pilot program.

UPenn

In this last cycle, they had 1 clinical educator spot, 2 clinical epi, and 2 basic science. Very impressive facilities and faculty, opportunity for MSCE and their educator track is the most well-defined of its sort I saw in any of my interviews. No pilot program for their transplant fellowship.

Albert Einstein

4 fellows/year. Cover 4 hospitals split across 2 campuses in the Bronx. Brand new transplant fellowship and 50 transplants/year, but definitely behind Columbia and MSSM in that sense. Heavier outpatient focus than most programs (3 half day clinics/week) and no protected research time. Most fellows live in Manhattan and a car seems to be almost a requirement. Another poorly organized interview day that ran 2-3 hours late - they had promised me a specific time, and I had to miss the closing remarks to catch my flight.

Reactions: 2 users
Any thoughts on the GI program at UIC? I'm not crazy about Chicago, but I liked the faculty and researchers there. The program seemed like it was still getting back on track after some big changes, but it seemed like it was growing and heading in the right direction.

what kind of questions do they ask you on GI interviews?

Most common/important question is the "future plans" - make sure you have answer for both goals in fellowship and beyond. Others are like residency interview questions: why this specialty, talk about yourself etc.

Matched at #3 (Hopkins). Interviewed mostly on east coast. Applied to 50 programs. Offered 21 Interviews. Attended 14.

I thought Mount Sinai and Penn were excellent really wanted to go to Penn. Penn had excellent faculty, research, and excellent opportunities. Mount Sinai just recruited top notch faculty and like always strong in IBD, but felt like some candidates had the inside track judging from the interview interactions.

Yale-great program, president elect AGA Allen is there so is Laine. Great program. Agree with Linus on Cornell and BWH.

Columbia: very disorganized. Didn't see any fellows. This was top of list going into interviews, but fell on my list.

UNC: Liked this program, but did not like location.

MidWest: Colorado program was wonderful.

UTSW: building new hospitals this year and next. Outstanding research opportunities. Great faculty. Fellows were all friendly.

One last note, I felt letters, research, and pedigree had a lot to do with getting interviews. However, I felt the interview was a big part of the selection process.

Very similar experiences at above programs. Felt across the board Penn and UCSF were the strongest programs overall with vast amounts of research and clinical expertise in all areas of GI. Really liked UCLA as well but , despite being a huge liver transplant center it is largely a surgery run service. Cornell has a new chief and it was surprisingly one of my favorite interview days as well, so possibly they've improved upon their interview process.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give my thoughts after going through the process this year and matching. Overall I applied to 20 programs and received invites at 16, and attended 8.

UCSD: awesome program, very clinical, lots of research opportunities, great training in advanced endoscopy, liked the people I met. Amazing SD weather. Great facilities.

UCLA: one of my favorite programs on the trail. Great clinical training, strong in almost every subspecialty. ercp exposure reserve for those actually applying for advanced endoscopy. One of their fellows did like 600 or so before starting advanced. Call schedule has been improved slightly, now you get 2 mo of elective time first year compared to q2call for 12 months before. Really cool PD. Ronald Reagan is a beautiful hospital. Fellows seemed chill and down to earth.

Cedars: I dont know what they're trying to do here, but they're taking 1-2 fellows a year. Procedural volume seems low and they have to go to kaiser and usc for outpatient scopes. Too much of the I work in hollywood/ I'm a big shot vibe from the faculty. They spent too much time trying to prove they're comparable to ucla.

Stanford: Kind of meh for clinical training and low scope volume. My advisor told me they're the weakest for clinical training on the west coast but obviously they have incredible research opportunities for those going down that road. No ercp training. Transplant program is great but kind of shadowed by ucsf. Stanford is a program for candidates interested in mainly academic/research practice. All the tracks are research and vary from 12-18 mo of research. Great call schedule. Lot of free money for various things. Great Palo Alto weather.

UCSF: awesome program, seems to be one of the strongest clinical training programs in GI out there. They boast they get more volume for their fellows than any other program out there. Q2 call first yr then eases off. Tons of ERCP exposure. Top transplant center. The transplant team is primary on all their patients. Graduating fellows are split between clinical practice and academic faculty positions.

UC Davis: awesome clinical program. Hospitals very close together. Ton of volume. 3rd yr of fellowship is essentially advanced endoscopy training. They're all ercp certified with significant eus exposure. No transplant program so they send interested fellows to cpmc and else where for their elective time. Don't remember the details but the call schedule was very humane. Sacramento can have really nice weather but nothing else to it. All the fellows go into practice.

UW: Another amazing clinical program. They rotate 4-5 different hospitals. Call scheduled is spread over 3 years and is one of the best I've heard of. Seem to have the most supportive PD and nicest fellows/staff/faculty/administration I've met. Must be a Seattle thing. Most of their fellows go into clinical practice.

Mount Sinai: Research track program with 18 months dedicated. Unclear clinical volume but I'm guessing adequate since its NYC. Amazing for transplant. No ercp exposure. I didn't get a sense of the call schedule on interview day. Fellows tend toward academics/faculty positions.

Happy to answer any specific questions people may have. Good luck with the process.

Last edited:
@CecalConqueror Last I heard, UCSD has an advanced fellowship. Not sure why you think they get good advanced exposure.
They do have an advanced fellowship, but they claim interested residents still obtain good exposure. If I remember correctly their reasoning was the advanced fellow does not cover all 3 sites (ucsd, thornton, va) simultaneously. They also rotate through Kaiser where there is no advanced fellow.

Could anyone comment on the Chicago GI programs? From what I have gleaned above, it seems like Uchicago is far and away the best program in chicago, and someone mentioned that UIC is "getting back on track". Any opinions about Northwestern, Rush, and Loyola as well as their strengths?

From my perusal of their websites, seems like Loyola is a decently big program with a strength in IBD, while Rush seems to have a lot of resources in advanced GI?

Could anyone comment on the Chicago GI programs? From what I have gleaned above, it seems like Uchicago is far and away the best program in chicago, and someone mentioned that UIC is "getting back on track". Any opinions about Northwestern, Rush, and Loyola as well as their strengths?

From my perusal of their websites, seems like Loyola is a decently big program with a strength in IBD, while Rush seems to have a lot of resources in advanced GI?

Northwestern is as good or better than UChicago. They lost Hanauer to Northwestern. IBD probably still more "famous" at UChicago over Northwestern.

Agree with IM2GI, Northwestern is prob the strongest GI program in Chicagoland. They really lacked IBD presence up until a few years ago but recently recruited several faculty and an IBD program by Hanauer to correct this deficit. UChicago is the strongest IBD program in Chicago, but Northwestern is easily stronger in esophagus and liver. Loyola is a solid program that is well rounded. Rush is as well, but lack a significant liver program. UIC is probably the 5th ranked GI program in Chicago.

Why did people dislike Columbia so much? I got an interview and im trying to get some info on the program but seems like everyone's like "it was bad and I'll leave it at that." Was it the interview day or the fellowship program itself that gave such a bad impression?