Interview impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
I am a 3rd year medical student and am looking at places to rotate. I have family in Wisconsin and have read a lot about the UW program. Does anyone have any experience with the MCW program, either on the interview trail or those that have rotated there? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yale-- happiest residents on the trail (which is HUGE, by the way, given that you'll potentially be spending 4 years in a place). Fantastic PD with great substance in addition to charm-- very much looks out for resident education and well-being. Faculty = extremely nice and resident-friendly. An ENTIRE year of research (as opposed to just 6 or 9 months at other institutions)-- being able to be a part of the Robert Wood Johnson program is a big plus if you're interested in clinical research. Dr. Glazier's basic science top-notch. Great didactics. Beautiful new facilities. Location here is plus or minus depending on your perspective. Can easily take weekend trips around CT, or to NYC or Boston. Would move it up the list.

Definitely got the sense that there was no more malignancy at Duke. Very nice faculty. Resident happiness on par with Yale. Great student life given number of universities in location. Good weather. Location plus or minus depending on what you're looking for. Wish they offered more research time-- this would move this program up the list.

UChicago residents were probably some of the unhappiest I met on the interview trail, which moved it down on my list, though the residents definitely knew their stuff. Agree that didactics bordering on malignant. Great location for some. Got the impression this was great for people interested in basic science research.

Michigan-- extremely academic program, one year of research, very nice chairman, very fair and involved PD= huge pluses. Didn't get a great sense of happiness of residents, but mostly pretty happy, I think. If only this program weren't in Ann Arbor...

UPenn-- BEAUTIFUL new cancer center, great and very charming chairman. Philly is a great city and only 2 hrs away from NYC and DC. Was slightly concerned that PD was assistant professor. Wish there was more research time. Uncertainty about expansion and implications on residents.

MDACC-- residents seemed very happy (HUGE), obviously great reputation. Facilities HUGELY impressive. Faculty very friendly. Seemed to be very focused on educating residents. Location=downside.

Last edited:
Someone's going to Yale :)

Yale-- happiest residents on the trail (which is HUGE, by the way, given that you'll potentially be spending 4 years in a place). Fantastic PD with great substance in addition to charm-- very much looks out for resident education and well-being. Faculty = extremely nice and resident-friendly. An ENTIRE year of research (as opposed to just 6 or 9 months at other institutions)-- being able to be a part of the Robert Wood Johnson program is a big plus if you're interested in clinical research. Dr. Glazier's basic science top-notch. Great didactics. Beautiful new facilities. Location here is plus or minus depending on your perspective. Can easily take weekend trips around CT, or to NYC or Boston. Would move it up the list.

Definitely got the sense that there was no more malignancy at Duke. Very nice faculty. Resident happiness on par with Yale. Great student life given number of universities in location. Good weather. Location plus or minus depending on what you're looking for. Wish they offered more research time-- this would move this program up the list.

UChicago residents were probably some of the unhappiest I met on the interview trail, which moved it down on my list, though the residents definitely knew their stuff. Agree that didactics bordering on malignant. Great location for some. Got the impression this was great for people interested in basic science research.

Michigan-- extremely academic program, one year of research, very nice chairman, very fair and involved PD= huge pluses. Didn't get a great sense of happiness of residents, but mostly pretty happy, I think. If only this program weren't in Ann Arbor...

UPenn-- BEAUTIFUL new cancer center, great and very charming chairman. Philly is a great city and only 2 hrs away from NYC and DC. Was slightly concerned that PD was assistant professor. Wish there was more research time. Uncertainty about expansion and implications on residents.

MDACC-- residents seemed very happy (HUGE), obviously great reputation. Facilities HUGELY impressive. Faculty very friendly. Seemed to be very focused on educating residents. Location=downside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Note: I did not review the institution at which I matched

Stanford: If there is one word I would use to describe my interview experience here, it would be "cold." However, the faculty states that they do this on purpose because they want to stick strictly to the match rules, which I respect. Be prepared for some not-so-standard question. Some people were a little thrown off by this, but I liked it—thought provoking, nothing intimidating. The chair is stepping down, so unclear what impact this will have on the department. Unfortunately, there is not a full year of research time at this program. The residents were a nice and friendly bunch. Apparently, the residents have more scut work than residents at other institutions. The facilities were beautiful, as are the surroundings. There is no denying that this institution has amazing faculty.

Columbia: For some unknown reason, there were a lot of Harvard Medical Grads at this residency program. The residents seemed very happy to be in the department and were very personable and cool. They emphasized the quality of life at the program and living in NYC. The chair was not the most personable but seems to be taking his job seriously and I think he is doing great things for the department with recruitment of new faculty, etc. Research time is mostly basic science. The facilities were dingy, but the department is in the midst of construction. My general impression was that although the residents seem happy and this department is on its way up, there are many improvements to be made.

Yale: The medical students on the interview trail raved about the Yale program more than any other students about their respective institutions, which I took as an extremely good sign. They must be doing something right. The program director is clearly very invested in the residency program. He made a presentation at the beginning of the interview day and personally showed us around the department. The new department in the new cancer center was absolutely gorgeous. The residents were some of the coolest on the trail, and extremely happy. They have minimal, if any, scut. One full year is offered for research, and both clinical and basic science research is supported (Robert Wood Johnson program for those residents interested in clinical research). They have an entire academic day which is protected time for learning. Overall, the faculty was extremely friendly and the interviews very conversational. This department/program reminds me of a stable, well-functioning family.

UChicago: I left with a bad taste in my mouth from this interview day. The residents were not happy here, and were pretty honest about this (honesty is good). They seemed to be overworked and stressed, especially in the first year. However, this seems to have led to bonding. I suppose misery loves company. The morning conference was formal and bordering on malignant. Some of my interviewers were also not exactly friendly. The interview day was not that well run—I think there were too many candidates at once, which made the experience very impersonal as compared to some of the other institutions. On the upside, there is a full year of research time. Most residents spend a year in lab. In fact, there was only one resident who had spent the year doing clinical research. The program director and chair were quite strange. This department/program reminds me of a dysfunctional family.

University of Washington: The new program director seems to be taking this residency program to the next level. She was extremely charming and had a cool accent. They tried a new method of interviewing this year, with two smaller panel interviews and one personal interview, which I liked. According to students who have rotated there, there is a lot of work as compared to many other departments. The sheer volume of patients is an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your perspective. The department is famous for brachytherapy. There was a lot of emphasis on the quality of the medical and surgical oncology departments. There is not a full-year of research offered, unfortunately. The residents were very nice and there was plenty of time to interact with them. The interview day was very well run, but this deparment still has major room for improvement.

Michigan: This is an all-star program, but unfortunately, it is not located on a coast. The residents work hard, but in what seems to be in a good environment. The chair is awesome. He is extremely friendly and obviously incredibly accomplished. The program director may be a little rough around the edges, but he has the reputation among the residents and faculty of being extremely fair and open to change. The program has undergone several changes under his leadership, including more protection for academic time. There is a full-year of research, which seems to be taken quite seriously. Everyone asked me what questions I had about the department and program, which got tiring.

MD Anderson: This is hands down the most impressive department in the country and a mecca for anyone interested in radiation oncology. The facilities are absolutely gorgeous. Learning is the focus. Everyone is friendly. There is a full-year of research. One can now get a master of public health. The panel interview is intimidating by its very nature, but it has its advantages. I don't really have anything negative to say, except why, oh why, does this department have to be in Houston, TX?

Fox Chase: I'm not exactly sure what to make of this department. The chair left to go to UMiami… Rumor has it the PD is leaving… Seems like what was a good stable program is now in flux. On the upside, the residents were friendly and are comparitively very productive research-wise. The faculty was in general were friendly, except for one person who was rude and unfriendly for no apparent reason. If this happens to you, don't take it personally, but it is amazing how just one bad apple can sour one's experience.

Duke: The interview experience at Duke was very pleasant. The residents are very friendly and also seem to be happy. Malignancy is definitely a thing of the past. Many of the didactics are combined with the Chapel Hill program—these received mixed reviews from the residents. If I recall correctly, there are only 6 months protected for research, though this time may be extended depending on the project. The program director is also stepping down, which is somewhat of a bummer. Overall, the faculty was very friendly.

I understand that UCLA has had some major restructuring lately (new chair, aggressive recruitment of new faculty)...any newer thoughts on this program?

Similarly, any thoughts on UCSD's new program?

I understand that UCLA has had some major restructuring lately (new chair, aggressive recruitment of new faculty)...any newer thoughts on this program?

Similarly, any thoughts on UCSD's new program?

UCLA seemed to be bringing in a lot of new strong faculty and the chair expressed a lot of dedication to research. Their department seemed cramped but they were promising to expand (but no certain time frame).

One thing that kind of turned me off was one that one of faculty seemed to think that the chief resident was spending too much time with the applicants and was suggesting the resident would be staying late to get his work done. The clinic also seemed a bit understaffed but they were promising to get more midlevel providers (lots of promises but I was a bit nervous as it's not like you can leave if they don't follow through on their promises).

Of course westwood is a very nice (and expensive) area and the hospital is beautiful (not so much the rad onc department though). The chair and the PD seemed dedicated to the program. Residents seemed like a nice bunch but didn't get the impression they were very tight nit group if that is important to you.

If you guys start to have questions about specific programs (what our impressions were of interview day or the program, etc) feel free to ask away. We're slowly getting to that part of the year where questions will start to come up!

Via anonymous PM - Some of this year's applicants were looking for some impressions/program info for Minnesota and/or Loyola. I didn't personally interview at either last year - would anyone be willing to chip in their few cents?

Is it possible to create a universal interview impressions ID since ppl may be hesitant to post how their feeling

Is it possible to create a universal interview impressions ID since ppl may be hesitant to post how their feeling

LOL. Gfunk, why haven't you thought of this?

The problem is that in previous years, the ID ends up being abused by people to post questions in other threads

Members don't see this ad :)

Our kind moderator has offered to post, via his account, interview impressions that people e-mail or PM to him. Doing so accomplishes the same purpose of an "impressions ID" without running into the problems that GFunk mentioned above.

Our kind moderator has offered to post, via his account, interview impressions that people e-mail or PM to him. Doing so accomplishes the same purpose of an "impressions ID" without running into the problems that GFunk mentioned above.

Speaking of which, here is our first anonymous contribution!

NY Methodist is a small program with only 4 residents (2 this year). Its located in Park Slope (Brooklyn, NY) which is a beautiful location. Residents also rotate at a satellite rotation near Coney Island (has its own dedicated PET CT) as well as Sloan Kettering for their pediatrics rotation. The program itself is.. interesting. It seems like all of the attendings there have been around since the 1970s which I guess is a good and bad thing (good because of the stability, bad because every program needs change at some point at least in my opinion). The chairman, Dr. Ashamallah seemed really nice.. he seemed really into teaching and research. Some of the other attendings were a lot harder to read. Dr. Rafla would ask me a question and before I could respond jump to another question.. I asked him about research time and he went into a 15 minute diatribe about how residents don't need research time and how NY Methodist's research opportunities are better then any other programs in NY.

It seems like they do a lot of brachy from what they told us.. and residents seemed relatively busy as they usually cover 2 attendings per service. Some of the residents seemed happy but others didn't. One of the residents basically told me to go somewhere else if I can and was shocked when I said how the attendings seem really nice. Research isn't their strong point but it looks like they just hired a new radiobiologist who is in the process of setting up his lab so residents will soon have the opportunity for more bench work. The attendings didn't really seem too open to elective time or other time not in the department but did note that it's possible. The residents said one of the pros of the program is that they get a ton of guest speakers and also go to the Mt Sinai radiobiology class in the city.

Via anonymous PM - Some of this year's applicants were looking for some impressions/program info for Minnesota and/or Loyola. I didn't personally interview at either last year - would anyone be willing to chip in their few cents?

As a resident at the U of Minnesota I can give my (clearly biased) opinion. I think our biggest strength is our caseload - a very sold range of cases with really no area that we don't see enough of. We have lots of gyn and peds. We have lots of brachytherapy and SBRT. We currently still do some gyn LDR in fact though we are transitioning away from that. Not really any breast brachy or prostate HDR, but lots of prostate seeds. Gamma knife. Just saw my second eye plaque today.

Workload is enough to keep busy but not so much there is no time to read. Attendings are essentially all laid back and easy to work with, though of course there are a couple quirky personalities like anywhere. We have a VA and a more community-based satellite we rotate at as well, so really we see a very broad range of patients.

Weaknesses? Obviously not a huge name research powerhouse. That isn't to say you can't do research though. Most of us do clinical reviews and physics projects, not so much bench research. I have written a phase 2 protocol, but not sure if that will happen. In the end it depends on how much initiative you want to take, but there isn't a lot of support in place for research. The medical oncologists do a lot in the lab, and it would probably be feasible to join up with one of those groups if you really wanted to do bench research, but none of us has.

Some have complained about not enough didactics in the past, but I don't see that as a problem. We have generally 2 hours of formal teaching/case discussion a week in addition to new patient presentations and physics & radiobiology, both of which are fairly good courses. Educational meetings are usually fairly good and well attended by staff because they get CME for it.

Minneapolis is an awesome place to live if you aren't afraid of a little snow. We have 2 residents from the south right now actually and they seem to be doing fine. Minneapolis is more of a happening place for the singles whereas most of us married ones live in St. Paul or the suburbs. There is really a good place for just about anyone. As long as you aren't afraid of a little snow. Actually I came from Milwaukee for med school and though the temperature gets lower here I think it snowed a lot more there.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Does anyone know anything about North Shore-LIJ's program? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Does anyone know anything about North Shore-LIJ's program? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
I think the reason you (and I) don't know much about LIJ is that 2012 is their first year recruiting residents (correct me if I am wrong). Their med school is also only a year or two old.

I think the reason you (and I) don't know much about LIJ is that 2012 is their first year recruiting residents (correct me if I am wrong). Their med school is also only a year or two old.

Oh. I knew their med school was new, but I thought the residency may have been around longer (just throught the LIJ hospital system). Any guesses as to how it might be? lol.

Oh. I knew their med school was new, but I thought the residency may have been around longer (just throught the LIJ hospital system). Any guesses as to how it might be? lol.
Pretty sure the residency prog is new. Until very recently, LIJ used to be Albert Einstein COM's (in the Bronx) training hospital before it (LIJ) went off to the new med school. Einstein ppl can correct me

I just wanted to squash a rumor that has been going around about grumblings of a Saturday clinic. For those who are still wondering...pure urban legend. Not sure where it came from, but not going to happen. Any questions can PM me.

Hey Thaiger - are you guys crankin' up the cyclotron on Saturdays? Does a resident have to be there for that? That was the only rumor I had heard - that the hours have been a bit long and that patients are treated on Saturdays since protons went live.

Proton treatments will only occur on Saturday if the machines are down for a day or two during the week. All weekend proton treatments are covered by attendings only with no requirement for resident coverage.

Hey Thaiger - are you guys crankin' up the cyclotron on Saturdays? Does a resident have to be there for that? That was the only rumor I had heard - that the hours have been a bit long and that patients are treated on Saturdays since protons went live.

Good clarification. As a fellow Philly resident I had heard some of those apparently unfounded rumors as well.

Although I gotta say if anyone had any doubts about Penn as a program they are high. Very solid place IMO and if you are lucky enough to have it as an option you should rank it way high on the list, it is clearly the top program in Philly, and top 5 nationwide.

The rank list deadline has passed! Let the 2011-2012 interview impressions flow!

To start everyone off, here are impressions from an anonymous user:

MDACC:

Details: Fantastic combination of international reputation, impressive faculty, supportive culture, clinical training, basic and clinical research opportunities, every technology under the sun, and beautiful facilities. The focus here is squarely on education, since when you have 24 residents and 60+ faculty with 1-to-1 resident-to-attending coverage (on 2-month rotations), most faculty/services know how to function independently of residents, since they also employ a ton of NPs/PAs. Thus the attendings are very actively involved and you only have to do the educational stuff for the most part, and non-doctorly scutwork is very minimal (though I've heard not all services are as smooth as others). About 60% of the patients come outside Houston, which is good because you see the coolest cases around the world, but could be bad since you're being seen often as a second/third/tenth opinion, and you may be actually treating/simming fewer patients than you actually do H&Ps for (since they'll often go home to get treated when they realize that RT techniques don't vary too much among major academic centers around the country). This would also happen at big-name cancer centers like MSKCC/DFCI/Mayo/Hopkins, etc. Hands down most impressive hospital and medical center… absolutely gorgeous and HUGE (like everything else in Texas), including a fully equipped gym for staff members. Call is one week out of every 5 for your first year, with no call at all after that (could be good or bad depending on your preferences), and you'll often get called in a couple nights and one weekend day per week, as well as having to be present from 6 am til 10 pm for the on-treatment patients (yes they treat for 16 hours a day). Luckily you're not covering the proton center on call (attendings are), otherwise it'd be a lot worse. All in all, seems like workload is more than most programs, but not overwhelming. Research is only 8 months protected but can get up to 12 months if you want. Morning conference can also be pretty intense, as residents present often and get picked on a lot, but at least there's a lot of attending buy-in and the room is packed with 40+ people every day. Other didactics in radbio and physics tend to be in two-week protected blocks and not longitudinal, as far as I understand. If you get an interview here, definitely go, since they put you up for THREE nights in a very nice one-bedroom suite near the medical center, giving you a full extra Saturday to explore the city and see that Houston isn't all that awful (especially in the winter and if you have a car), since it has a ton of sports/arts/restaurants/etc, and cost of living is great. 6 residents/year.

Perfect if: looking for unparalleled clinical and academic exposure; willing to work hard but with minimal scutwork, value excellent mentorship and teaching; wanting a lot of space to rent/buy on a resident's salary, especially if you're living with partner/family

MSKCC:

Details: From day 1, you will get an incredible load of responsibility and patient numbers. This is phenomenal for some people and awful for other people. Though these patients will teach you a lot, some may argue that you go well beyond the point of diminishing returns, many residents say they learn much more from their co-residents than their attendings, since there's very little time for 1-on-1 teaching. Seems like the reason for such high volume is that there really aren't that many faculty members for the amount of patients come through the cancer center, so each faculty member (and by extension the residents) has to handle a load much heavier than MD Anderson or Harvard. More important than the actual number of hours is the intensity of the hours, since you're constantly getting paged with new consults left and right (more on some services than others). You learn to be efficient, but at the cost of reading and doing research during your clinical rotations unless you're willing to do work way beyond 80 hours a week (which most of their residents seem very willing to do). Full year of research during third year, though the chair expects that you outline your work very carefully beforehand and justify yourself often especially if you choose to do clinical research during that time, which he frowns upon but will begrudgingly support in the end. Though most attendings seem pretty cool overall, there are apparently a few that routinely beat up (verbally) on their residents and can really ruin morale throughout a 2-3 month rotation. Residents seem to bond pretty well, and are generally a pretty young and energetic group that enjoys working hard and playing hard. This is probably the most polarizing program, where some residents couldn't imagine life/training any other way, and others could seriously drown in misery (similar to the distribution in general surgery programs, though to a lesser degree). New York has its obvious perks and downsides, as there's so much fun/cultural stuff going on there, but is also high-paced, fairly impersonal, and very expensive, though the subsidized housing makes things much more reasonable (plus the salary is probably the highest in the country). 5 residents/year.

Perfect if: looking for the most clinical volume and autonomy/responsibility of any program; are OK with minimal 1-on-1 teaching, dealing with the occasional adversarial attending, and living in a constantly high-paced and occasional frenetic work environment; want to be actively recruited by every top-notched private practice in the East Coast; are single or at least without kids, love big and exciting cities, and value camaraderie with your generally young and energetic co-residents.

HARVARD:

Details: Incredible exposure to 4 sites (MGH, BWH/DFCI/Children's, BIDMC, and BMC) with attendings as famous as those at MD Anderson. You cover full services rather than individual attendings here (3-month blocks), but the workload still doesn't seem to be overwhelming. Each site seems to have a fairly different personality. MGH is very busy clinically, as the resident gets a lot of autonomy/responsibility and somewhat minimal one-on-one teaching (since the focus is very much on getting work done, kind of like MSKCC), while BWH/DFCI/Children's has a much more academic feel, with very intense daily morning conferences where a full command of the literature is emphasized, more one-on-one teaching, but a little less volume and autonomy/responsibility, since services there are much more attending-driven. Attendings at BIDMC usually treat multiple sites (so it won't just be one site for the full 3 months) and are typically less busy, while BMC has a patient population that tends to have a lot poorer access to healthcare, with more advanced disease presentations and often unreliable treatment compliance, and everything there is generally more disorganized (kind of like the real world). Full 12 months protected research time during third year to do anything you want in the entire Harvard community (which if you don't know, is ridiculously huge), including the possibility of going to the School of Public Health 6-week program on clinical effectiveness ($13k, entirely paid for by the rad onc program, and good foundation on statistics, etc.) or continuing to get your full MPH (an additional $30k that's out of your own pocket unless you have a fellowship). That leaves you with 12 three-month blocks to split among all these sites, with 1 block at BMC during second year, 2-3 blocks at BIDMC, 4-5 blocks at BWH/DFCI/Children's, and 4-5 blocks at MGH. Since you're spending so little time at each site, there are a couple disadvantages. One is that one site might be unquestionably the strongest in one particular area (i.e. gynecology at BWH/DFCI/Children's, CNS/peds at MGH with their protons), and you might not be assigned to work there at all during your residency, especially since you only have time to do each subspecialty once (with a couple exceptions). Another is that you won't really know the faculty as well as you might at a smaller program like Yale/Penn/MSKCC, since you won't have rotated with all of them (like at MD Anderson, attendings are assigned somewhat randomly) and since you'll disappear off their radar for 6-12 months at a time if you're not going to be assigned to their hospital for a while. New mentorship program formed to address this fragmentation, though this probably won't solve all their problems. There's also somewhat less resident camaraderie, since you don't see half your class for all of first year after the first two weeks of orientation (since you do 6 months at MGH then 6 months at Longwood, or vice versa, then second year and fourth year they're more mixed up). Boston seems like a fantastic place to live, with lots of options for living environments from downtown to nearby suburbs, though it is pretty uniformly expensive on all fronts and tends to get quite cold. 7-8 residents/year.

Perfect if: looking for broadest perspectives on clinical matters with fantastic faculty and broadest variety of research opportunities; want the opportunity to get first dibs on any academic or private practice job in the country; are truly a self-starter since no one will ever know if you're falling through the cracks, despite mentorship program; are OK with not meeting most of the faculty or being as much on their radars since you're rotating so much; prefer a very nice but expensive city with lots of suburban-like areas within walking distance or 10-15 minute drive.

YALE:

Details: Fantastic, smaller training program led by one of the most supportive PDs in the business. Like MD Anderson, a huge focus on scut-less education, so that you have more time to spend with your patients, simming, planning treatments, reading, and doing research. Brand new Smilow cancer hospital is beautiful, and even the rad onc facilities in the basement feel very bright and soothing. Covering two or three attendings of different sites at a time (3-month blocks), so each rotation is a little less focused, though this can be good so that you'll likely end up seeing each subsite multiple times. The workload isn't too intense, though, because Yale owns tons of satellites (residents only rotate at two of them), and nearly every attending spends at least 1-2 clinic days outside of YNHH, and only 1 clinic day per week at YNHH that you're responsible for. The two satellites you'll go to (Lawrence and Memorial in New London and Backus in Norwich) are about an hour away from YNHH, but are against traffic. Residents say they really like it there, since it's more of a generalist experience where they get a ton of autonomy/responsibility, but still get taught well by the Yale faculty who attend there. 12 full months of research/elective to do whatever you want (including aways), luckily doesn't have to be 12 consecutive months though it can be if you want. Downside of a smaller program like this is that you don't get as many perspectives as you would at Harvard/MSKCC, since most subsites only have one or two faculty. Parts of New Haven, especially around the medical area, are pretty ghetto, but the college campus area is only a couple blocks away and is beautiful (with tons of fantastic restaurants), and almost all the residents live in suburbs about 15-20 minutes away, which are really nice and where you can get quite a bit of space on a resident salary (plus they pay you on par with Boston despite lower cost of living). 3 residents/year.

Perfect if: looking for excellent clinical and academic training in a relatively laid-back, flexible, family-like environment; prefer having a fair amount of time available to read, do research, and have a life during clinical months; are OK with spending 9 months driving an hour each way to the satellites and OK with driving in general, since most of the nice places to live are about 15-20 minutes away; want a smallish, college-town city with good restaurants downtown and nice/inexpensive suburban-areas nearby that is within 1.5-2 hours to either NYC or Boston by car/bus/train, ideal if you have a partner/family

PENN:

Details: Rapidly expanding department led by one of the most genuine, humanistic chairs in the country. Brand new building with several floors dedicated to rad onc, including proton center, and have hired like crazy to handle the tripling in clinical volume that has occurred within just a few years. Very clinically focused department, and residents have been working quite hard to accommodate all the new attendings. Quite a bit of scut, which residents were very willing to admit, but still seems like a very positive environment with good 1-on-1 teaching, as many of the attendings are young and friendly. Though they admit that some kinks still need to be worked out, it appears the hardest part of the expansion has passed. Located right on the UPenn campus, with all the advantages of the university environment, and most residents live in Center City (lots of great restaurants and only a 15-20 walk or short drive/bus away), with some living in some nice suburbs not too far away. Research is 10 months (five 2-month blocks), which can be scheduled consecutively if you really needed. Required intern year at HUP can be a real bummer if you really want to stay where you did med school or if you want a cushy transitional year, so take that into account because you can't get around it. So-so salary for so-so cost-of-living. 4 residents/year

Perfect if: looking for great clinical exposure in a friendly environment with younger, up-and-coming attendings and phenomenal chair; are OK with a fair amount of scut in exchange while seeing lots of patients; like a city with a good mix of niceness and grit with excellent food and interesting history within 1-2 hours to NYC/Baltimore/DC by train (longer by car for some reason); not bothered by required medicine internship at Penn

Last edited:
Oh, thank God! It seemed like we were never going to get a review of MSKCC, MDACC, Penn, and Yale. If we could only get UCSF, Stanford, and Michigan, we'd finally get some perspective on the lesser known programs... :rolleyes:

Thanks for getting it started with such thorough reviews anonymous! I'd love to hear more of your impressions. Congrats everyone on making it to this point!

Here are two more, thank you!

Georgetown Radiation Oncology

Split up between three sites: Georgetown downtown, Clinton, MD (30 minutes away, one linac, lots of different patients), and Washington Hospital. Facility is kind of run down, although they are putting in a new Cyberknife/upgrading a linac. Very Cyberknife heavy, especially at g-town. Get to rotate at two other sites in the vicinity, one small with one linac, the other sounds very large with linacs, gammaknife, HDR. Rotate at each site for total of four 3 month blocks during your 3 clinical years, or 1/3 of your time. Sounds like you need to rotate there in order to get more even exposure/get away from cyberknife. This seems partly due to the fact that coming to DC for treatment is a tough sell for many patients from the 'burbs, and they'll often come there for a consult/get treated closer to home. Very nice from the standpoint that unlike many other places you'll get exposure to a wide variety of practice settings. 11 months of research time. Some residents do clinical, some do bench. Lots of unique opportunities to the DC area, especially in policy stuff, and it sounds like if you were motivated you could get the opportunity to do things you simply couldn't elsewhere. There's also the NIH, NCI, etc. Sounds like it'd be possible to do almost anything but you have to be a self-starter to get some stuff off the ground. They'll pay for pretty much anything as far as books/conferences as long as you're presenting. Chairman seemed extremely nice/hilarious. No problems with board pass rate. Most residents are married/live off in the suburbs with family. Small program, 50/50 mix of academics/PP over the past few years, but it sounds like a lot of people stay close-ish. More or less need a car here.

Pros:
Dedicated 11 months research, very flexible
Great variety of practice type
Small program

Cons:
Cyberknife heavy
Facilities older (but being renovated)
Small program

Fox Chase Radiation Oncology

Mainly at Fox Chase. Also has Cyberknife at Buckingham, kind of like a quasi-PP setup. Residents do Peds at CHOP, also have opportunity to see Protons there. Facility is insanely nice, recently renovated. 6 linacs, MRI sim. Support staff excellent according to the resident. Although Medonc/Surgonc fellows rotate through here, I got the impression that since you're the only residents there you get more autonomy than at many other programs. Chair is former president of brachy society, you'll get lots of brachy experience, and the residents all raved about it. Rotate on each service for 3 month rotations. Apparently residents have no problem getting their numbers in, all 450 cases in 18 months in or so? Residents say their hours are still fairly chill, 8-5/6 or so. 6-12 months of dedicated research time. Awesome databases in house, especially breast/prostate. They'll pay for conferences/ASTRO, especially if you're presenting. Residents say PD/Chair are extremely supportive of them. Most residents are married, live in suburbs. Commute from Philly would be about 30 minutes in AM, 45-60 minutes in PM. 50/50 mix of academics/PP. Overall an absolutely amazing program and if you're married/open to living in the suburbs (or commuting) keep this at the very top of your list.

Pros:
Dedicated research time
Facilities Extremely New
High Volume/No scut
Easy to do research

Cons:
Longish commute if you live in Philly

Last edited:
Here's another fantastic set of reviews:

Case Western Reserve University
Overall, I was rather impressed by CWRU. Their new cancer center is finally completed and looks fantastic, although for radiation oncology it would primarily be used for consults. Regardless, the actual department was quite nice as well. Great variety of technology including gamma knife, cyber knife, tomotherapy, brachy with LDR more commonly utilized than HDR. Money down for proton facility in 2014. Residents are split between University Hospital, VA Hospital, and Chagrin Highlands. First three months each year are attending run didactics on core topics, followed by resident presentations for the remainder of the year. The staff seemed very interested in teaching and were non-malignant and generally the residents were extremely positive about their program. Wealth of research opportunities with CWRU, although most of the residents don't take advantage of this. They were applying for an additional residency spot which rumor has they didn't get before the match, so they interviewed 30 people for one spot…

Ranking: Middle 1/3. Positives being diverse technology, staff dedicated to resident education, reasonable research opportunities with CWRU. Negative being Cleveland.

Cleveland Clinic
Overall, fantastic program. Excellent clinical training. Much has been said about their aggressive teaching style, and they don't shy away from telling students about this. It's what they believe in. But, having met the staff, whom are all extremely dedicated to their patients and resident education, I would classify the teaching as extremely direct but not necessarily malignant. There is no doubt about the effectiveness though, as residents clearly know their stuff. Included PGY1 is a bit of a bummer, with hours running closer to 80/week, although the rotations are geared heavily towards oncology and considerably more useful then one would get elsewhere. All the residents work at CCF with an occasional trip to Beechwood to do prostate seed implants. Little to no pediatrics at CCF, with a required rotation at St. Jude's. Research is primarily clinical, although they recently brought in a new physician-scientist staff (who also teaches radiobiology, an area they were also a little weaker at), which might open some new opportunities.

Ranking: Middle 1/3. Positives being databases for clinical research, reputation, lots of prostate brachy. Negatives being Cleveland, required St. Jude's rotation (which is obviously a great place to learn, so mixed blessing), direct teaching method (depends on the person, I just knew this didn't fit well with me and would lead to 5 years of stress).

Indiana University
Overall, decent program. 9 total residents, approximately half at IU Hospital, 1-2 at the VA, 1-2 at Methodist (large private hospital), and 0-1 residents at the Proton Facility (Bloomington, ~45-50min south of Indy). The PD, Dr. Johnstone, is fantastic and one of the more engaging PDs on the interview trail. The residents really seemed to enjoy their program and generally had very few complaints/concerns. The didactics are strong, with resident led case conferences, an extremely rigorous physics course (the physics professor warned us that it was quite challenging), and excellent radiobiology (taught by two professors who used to write board questions). A lot of the didactics are at 4:30pm, which is a little frustrating as it can interrupt the workday, keep you there until 5:30pm, and at least for me my energy level is pretty low at the end of the day… Not the widest array of technology with no tomotherapy or image-guided systems.

Ranking: Middle 1/3. Pros being protons/peds (they have three pediatric radiation oncologists on staff), physics/radiobiology didactics, great staff. Cons being Indy, and limited technology.

Medical College of Wisconsin
Top notch program with some all-star staff. Excellent facilities being one of the few departments with windows. Rotations mostly at MCW, with some time at the VA, Community Memorial, and Children's. In PGY2 required surgical pathology, oncologic radiology, heme/onc, and peds heme/onc. During PGY3 required physics rotation, which is supposed to be excellent. During PGY4 6 months at the VA where you basically run the shop. Excellent didactics, mock boards PGY3/4/5, prep courses for radiobiology and physics with UW. Only concerns would be that you cover multiple attendings, although they usually are not both in at MCW on the same days. This does mean covering multiple site areas at the same time and also very little protected time for reading/research.

Ranking: Top 1/3. Pros being well-known staff, excellent didactics and board prep, excellent physics rotations. Cons being covering multiple attendings and limited protected time.

Ohio State University
Program very much on the rise. Historically, a weaker program with few residents, little teaching or research, and a huge clinical burden. With new leadership from Harvard and MD Anderson along with a 200 million dollar grant, the program is expanding from 4 to an eventual goal of 10-12 residents. They are a significant number of new staff physicians, changes to didactics, and they are moving to their new department in 2014, so there will definitely be some major changes during our residency years. Case load seems rather high, with most residents working until 6pm, although this should decrease with increased staff/residents. Huge push for basic science research with 12 months of elective/research allowed.

Ranking: Bottom 1/3. They have a lot of things going for them, and I believe they will be a top Midwestern program in a few years, but there are a lot of changes going on during what would be our PGY2/3 years, and I really just wanted to avoid that.

University of Cincinnati
Great program with the residents being the most entertaining and happy of any on the interview trail. Residents primarily at the University, with some at the VA and Westchester (30 minutes north of Cincy). Didactics are excellent with staff driven case conferences every day. Reasonable strong physics course and weaker radiobiology course. Research primarily clinical. Wealth of pediatric exposure given strength of Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Ranking: Top 1/3. Pros include location (at least compared to other places I interviewed), staff that wants to teach, strong pediatric exposure.

University of Kentucky
Smaller program that I enjoyed more than I expected… Residents work in 3 month rotations nearly exclusively at UK Hospital. The staff were excellent, probably the nicest group of people I met along the interview trail. The chair is a very down to earth Midwesterner, but just an FYI, he is strongly against protons… so I would recommend steering clear of that topic on interview day. Didactics are resident led, 12-14x lectures per resident per year with existing power points already made. Research is primarily clinical, and you have to carve out your own time to complete. Included PGY1 didn't seem nearly as bad as I expected according to residents.

Ranking: Bottom 1/3. I actually love Lexington (and Red River Gorge) and the staff, but for my long-term goals (Academic Peds) I just couldn't see this place setting me up for the future.

University of Louisville
First off, completely write-off the old SDN opinions on this place. The residents and staff are much happier and positive then what was previously written. Rumor has it there were a couple bad residents which made life miserable for everyone. But "new" department has a number of younger staff that is both dedicated to teaching and new research opportunities. A number of well-known staff, particularly in references to Peds Rad Onc with the chair Dr. Wu being boarded in peds heme/onc and Dr. Halperin who wrote one of the books on Peds Rad Onc both at UL. Didactics are average, although the younger staff are trying to improve upon them.

Ranking: Top 1/3. For me due to location (family near) and strength in Peds Rad/Onc.

University of Minnesota
Overall, I was a little disappointed by this program. Currently with 6 residents, 4 at University of Minnesota, 1 at Twin Lakes, and 1 at the VA Hospital. The teaching/learning is primarily self-driven, with little in the way of organized didactics, which some of the staff were quite proud of. Obviously everyone learns in different ways, but this just didn't fit will with me. Very little going on in terms of research, with most of the residents in private practice in nearby areas after residency. Most of the residents seem happy and most of the staff were fine as well… but I just didn't get a great feeling after interviewing. A couple of the residents were pretty fixated on how few their hours were and many of the staff seemed to have little interest on resident education.

Ranking: Bottom 1/3 due to location, limited research opportunities, extremely limited didactics.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that CWRU's cancer center is not just for consults. They have an old department, a new department in the fancy cancer center, as well as multidisciplinary clinics upstairs in the new center. Depending on which attending you are with / if you are doing gamma knife, you will be in one of those three places. If I remember correctly they see most of the VA patients at Case main campus, although there is a large VA right across the park.

More reviews! Keep it up you guys!

NYU

Split your time between the Cancer Center and Tisch which are only a couple blocks apart. Residents follow one attending for three month blocks and will essentially follow them to the location they are treating/seeing patients at. Residents are strongly encouraged to get involved in research (up to 1 year) and also have strong clinical training. They have excellent breast and CNS exposure and I believe they end up going to MSK in order to get their brachy experience. Obviously the location is awesome (if you prefer a city) although the residents did mention that even the subsidized housing is very expensive. Residents didn't seem too pleased with their physics teaching but loved the Radiobio course which most NY residents end up going to at Mt. Sinai. The program director seemed very open to listening and making changes to the program, although the chair was less hands on and seemed very busy even on the interview day. Residents were all actively involved in various research projects although in talking to the chair it seems that she is more interested in lab research than clinical research. Historically more residents seemed to do clinical work but that appeared to be shifting.

Overall: Obviously pales in comparison to MSK but definitely one of the best programs in the region. Heavy clinical and research load.

Cornell

I was a little wary of this program after hearing mixed things about this and Columbia. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The new PD seems to have really improved the program and the residents openly stated how things were terrible before but are great now. Residents split their time between Weill Cornell in Manhattan as well as a satellite location in Flushing (there's a shuttle available between facilities). They do a lot of brachy procedures and residents have been more actively involved in research then previous years. Most of the residents end up presenting at ASTRO and receive funding if they are presenting at other conferences as well. I believe they are also getting a few new treatment machines although I can't recall exactly what's being instituted. One of the benefits is the fact that this and Columbia are affiliated which results in double the grand rounds and visiting speakers. The residents go to Columbia for their Physics course and Mt. Sinai for Radiobio.

Overall: Up and coming program with a lot of potential. Good clinical load with research opportunities available if interested. Would probably be more highly regarded if it wasn't in an area with so many great programs/departments.

Emory

I think Emory is a perfect example of why you shouldn't take other people's opinions too seriously. I had heard from residents at other sites that this program is extremely malignant and just not a great place to train. Again, as with Cornell I was pleasantly surprised. The department/program are incredible, the department has gone through a rapid expansion and the number of residents has expanded as well. The residents are worked hard but have tremendous clinical exposure as well as ample research opportunities. The residents split their time between four different locations (Emory University Hospital, Mid-Town, VA, and Grady). I think the variety of hospitals is a mixed blessing. The residents have to run around a little bit depending on the site they're at but they get a wide variety of exposure to all types of pathology, facilities, and faculty. I think these things really help prepare them for whatever they decide to do after residency. There are also plans to add a proton therapy center in the next few years which would add to the already incredible exposure for residents. I also can't say enough about their leadership. Obviously being in a department where a radiation oncologist is the head of the Cancer Center means a lot (Curran is also RTOG Chair which means residents have a lot of resources at their disposal). Residents do their chief year as a PGY-4 and get 6 months research time. Required to do intern year at Emory which residents hinted was rigorous but educational.

Overall: One of the best programs in the country with incredible clinical/research experience. Not many flaws. Personally think it's one of the best in the country.

More impressions, you guys are the best!

HROP: Hands down, the best program I saw on the trail. It's got everything: all the technology, multiple sites for different training experiences, super duper cool and very happy residents, world famous faculty, a year of research, great QOL, and tons of money for research. All the resources of Harvard at your fingertips. Boston is a great city (as far as East Coast cities go). The best job placement record in the country, IMO. Incredible place. The only con: it's the most grueling interview experience of all. Two days jam-packed with interviews, including two lunches and a dinner. Fun, but grueling.

MSKCC: One of the meccas for radiation oncology. Lack of research time has been mentioned as a weakness of this program in the past, but the relatively new chair has instituted a contiguous year of research as part of the program, with a preference for basic science projects. PD is awesome and super nice. Residents are busy, but not as fearsomely busy as is reputed; attendings are busy, too, so you're all busy together anyway. Really cool residents, with only mild gunnery flavorings. Nice subsidized housing,

NYU: I was just a little bit underwhelmed with this program, though I can't say exactly why--probably just interview fatigue. They have great technology, 12 months of research (not sure if it's contiguous time), and impressive job placement record in NYC and beyond. Great location in the city. Residents seemed happy enough.

Penn: Okay: I was floored and amazed. GORGEOUS facilities. Explosive growth in RO attendings, physicists, patient volumes, and everything else. Technologically incredible. Protons have been going for a while. The very-youthful chair is an incredible humanitarian, and his energy/advocacy alone is worth giving the program a good look. Fairly junior but very, very nice PD who seems to really fight for her residents. The major issue here seems to be balancing the huge volume increases with resident's QOL and hours, though they are taking work hours very seriously. This is a categorical program, and the Penn prelim year is reputedly grueling, though residents on interview day said it wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be. Top-tier program, IMO.

UCSF: The premier West Coast program. The faculty is very nice and well-published, and the PD is the best on the trail. Resident didactics seem a little loose. Technologically good: Cyber and Gamma knives, many LinAcs, lots and lots of brachy. Parnassus facilities need renovation (this part of the department will be moving to a new Mission Bay hospital anyway, according to interview day info.), but Mount Olive is nice and new. Job placement unmatched on the West Coast, as has been mentioned on this forum. SF sells itself.

University of Michigan: Incredible group of residents! Facilities are very nice and new—best resident room on the trail so far. Most of the residents are married, with young children. Very high pay + great perks + very low cost of living in Ann Arbor = awesome bang for residency buck. Ann Arbor is cold and dark in the winter, but is really a very nice place to live, with great bars, restaurants, and shops. Very quaint. Both old and new PDs seem to be strong resident advocates (even if mildly, um…standoff-ish in person). Great chair! Research opportunities are top-tier. Program in general, with the great training, is also top-tier (in my estimation).

University of Washington: The word on the street is that recent changes in program leadership have dramatically changed the residency for the better: better didactics, more resident support and advocacy, and improvements in coverage policies. Technologically incredible: protons (online in 2013, according to interview day information), Gamma Knife, LinAcs willy-nilly, tons of brachy, and even neutrons. Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (joint venture of Children's Hospital Seattle, UW, and Fred Hutchinson) is beautiful and state-of-the-art. Coolest residents on the trail so far. Seattle speaks for itself. Fun interview day, with a few one-on-ones and two panels.

Arizona: This is a nice, quiet, small, quasi-community program. The people were all super-friendly, and Ted Phillips is going to be in the department in some capacity. Facilities are so-so, though I think they're moving/expanding to a new building soon. Great Chair and really amazing, energetic new PD who will bring welcome new energy into the program, IMO. Really nice, down-to-earth residents—probably the greatest strength (in addition to the PD). Tucson is a beautiful desert city, with seemingly decent restaurant, bar, and cultural scene.

City of Hope: Very new, small program outside of LA. Rotations are 4 months long and repeat each clinical year (attendings all do everything, mostly—no disease site specificity). Very low key and enjoyable morning conferences. Beautiful facilities and very nice people. Year of research.

CPMC: Very solid community program in an incredible city. Great training and clinical volume, and great resident QOL, from what I could tell. Great chair. Needs more research time, which is a weakness. Otherwise, a small, solid program.

Rush: Another nice, small program with academic aspirations. The people were all friendly, except the PD was pretty intense during the interview—not mean-spirited or anything, just intense. Major pimping during chart rounds, but no malignant vibe. Very cool residents. Great perks/benefits (free parking, even overnight, in downtown Chicago!). Technologically pretty good, and there will be a dedicated SRS/SBRT room in the near future. Residents work hard but seem very happy. Beautiful facilities (except academic offices are a little run-down and in need of renovation); gorgeous new hospital opening soon. Grueling interview day, but the lunch alone is worth the trip.

USC: New chair is taking this department in great directions. 5 rotations/year. Seems to have a good feedback mechanism, both for residents and for attendings—strange thing to pick up on, I know, but important. 9-12 months of elective (including research time), but not contiguous at this point. Everyone was very, very nice—especially the residents, chair, and PD. An up-and-coming program, with good academic aspirations. Double panel interview: one of rad oncs, and one of physics folks.

UCSD: I wasn't prepared to be as impressed by this program as I was—it's an amazing place! It's new, but the faculty are all very experienced, there's tons of really incredible research going on there, and UCSD is a very avant garde academic center. Great international relationships and opportunities. Research year in PGY-5. I was blown away. Plus, as the in-flight magazine ad says, "Remember that birthday when you got everything you wanted? Welcome to San Diego."

And the impressions keep on coming . . .

I just about died laughing at Pointless's post above, so I'll skip a few of the programs that get mentioned a lot other than to say that among the top tier...

1. If you want to have a family, a home with a white picket fence, and 2.5 kids as a resident, Michigan and MDACC are the places for you.
2. Unless Gossip Girl was loosely based on your life story, MSKCC is going to be your only chance in life to live on the upper east side and work/party (but mostly work) like a rock star.
3. Harvard is one of the most friendly and welcoming programs I visited, and while its true you could probably slip through the cracks because of the department's size, it has to be the most comprehensive training program in the country (in terms of clinical diversity, technology, basic/translational/clinical research, work/life balance, great city, relative affordability, mentorship/support, and anything else you could imagine).

UCSD
Impression: First year in the match, and this place really pulled out all the stops on their interview days. To quote Dr. Mundt: "We're new; we have to try harder." Well Dr. Mundt, you knocked this one out of the park. Every interviewer had already taken the time to know names, backgrounds, publications, etc, and so the interviews ended up being very conversational. The tour was well-organized, the faculty was welcoming and enthusiastic, and the residents were very friendly and open about the program. The after-interview gathering at Dr. Mundt's house was fantastic as well (so often these things are awkward when the faculty are invited, but in this case, the get-together was great in part because faculty members were invited). Honestly, after going to UCSD, I have to wonder how impressive some of the more established programs would have looked if they had put in the recruitment effort that the department did in San Diego.
Pros: Friendly, rapidly-expanding program which really seems to value resident education; lots of new faculty hiring (Stanford and Harvard most recently); really exciting physics and clinical/translational research; and a diverse clinical education, both in terms of patients and treatment modalities (protons are coming soon). UCSD is up and coming, and quickly. Finally, SD is beautiful... but you already knew that.
Cons: The newness of the program is probably going to be a hang-up for a lot of people, but many of the faculty are from big-name academic programs and have lots of administrative/residency program experience. The radiobiology department is small, but UCSD is huge and you could work outside of the department. There is no Holman pathway, but the 4th year is completely set aside for research. Lastly, several of the faculty spent time outside of academia before coming to UCSD, but its rare to find a heavily academic program that will also teach you something about private practice.

UCSF
Impression: I have to agree with the previous contributor that this is the premier west coast program. The attendings and residents are very collegial with one another, the research opportunities at UCSF are endless, and the diversity of the clinical training and exposure is almost unparalleled (gamma knife, cyberknife, tomotherapy, many linacs, LDR, HDR, and potentially protons). I would disagree, however, with the position that the didactics are a little lose. I had a long conversation with the assistant PD about the structure of the lectures during my interview, and I was very impressed with the amount of foresight that has gone into the re-vamped didactic curriculum (which is almost entirely run by attendings). Furthermore, the residents get a lot of protected time for lectures, and I was told no one gets paged out to cover clinic. The interview day itself was comparatively light (8 one-on-one interviews, 20 minutes each), and the faculty were very welcoming and enthusiastic about the residency program. Almost all the residents are MD-PhDs, but everyone was super friendly and down to earth. Overall, its the complete package.
Pros: Phenomenally personable/supportive/enthusiastic PD, all the clinical and research opportunities you could ever ask for, and SF is a tremendous both within the city and in terms of the surrounding area.
Cons: Paper charts (changing soonish?) and the high cost of living in the Bay Area (definitely not changing anytime soon) might be a tough pill for some to swallow.

University of Colorado
Impression: The University of Colorado got the land for their medical center in Aurora from the army at a cut rate, and so they spent all their money building one of the most beautiful cancer centers west of the Mississippi. The department is small, but very close-nit and friendly. The residents seem to have a great relationship with the attendings, and Dr. Liu is one of the more compassionate PDs I met on the interview trail. The faculty seem very committed to enriching the residency program, and by doing so, bettering the reputation of the department as a whole (which is already very good). Thanks in large part to Kavanaugh, the stereotactic program here is phenominal, and there are several ongoing phase I clinical trials combining molecular agents with stereotactic radiation.
Pros: The residents here seem to be very happy with the quality of their training, but also have a great work-life balance that is shared by the faculty (... which, in case you didn't already feel bad about yourself, is populated with iron man triathletes and ultramarathoners). The clinical research is excellent, and a number of residents have been involved in the design and implementation of prospective trials. Also, the University of Colorado is the only Comprehensive Cancer Center within I-don't-know-how-many-hundreds-of-miles, so you get to see a tremendous diversity of cases as a resident.
Cons: The program is predominately clinical, so if your idea of success is tied to running a basic science laboratory, Colorado might not be the place for you. That being said, there was some grumbling that they might hire a new clinical researcher this year, so this might not be true for much longer.

University of Chicago
Impression: Far and away the premier Mid-West program. Forget what you've heard about the Monday morning conference, because it's completely friendly and even funny. Furthermore, the attendings and residents are on a first-name basis, and everyone seems happy to come to work. The department has a good history of protecting the resident's time, and as a result, they all seem to know every trial under the sun. The senior who did the Monday morning conference was quoting numbers from trials off the top of her head like it was nothing! Sam Hellman talked to the applicants because the chair was away, and hearing his perspective on the field had to be one of the most memorable experiences of the entire interview season. Overall, the faculty is very young and engaging, and everyone seems to value the residency program and learning in general. Plus, the PD (who is among the most supportive I met on the interview trail) mentioned that the Holman pathway is a possibility in the coming years, which has not been the case in the past.
Pros: Thorough clinical training and among the best didactic programs in the country. Also, phenomenal radiobiology department and a chair who is super supportive of resident research. But if basic science isn't your thing, some of the residents have spent their research time (which has moved to the PGY4 year) taking courses in medical statistics and focusing on clinical research. Finally, Chicago is a great combination of enjoyable and affordable.
Cons: Slim brachytherapy experience, and there is no denying that winter in Chicago is cold.

University of Washington
Impression: The faculty ranges from very new, to very senior, but everyone seems to be on friendly terms with the residents. The residents themselves are largely split between the UW campus and the SCCA (you are shuttled there for a tour, and it is gorgeous), but they also spend a little time at the VA. The interview day alternates back and forth between 5-person panels and one-on-one interviews, which is actually a really nice way to break up the monotony of interviews. Also, instead of a group tour at UW, each applicant gets a private walk and talk session with one of the residents (why don't more programs do this?). The PD, Dr. King, has a PhD in education, and it really shows in terms of the pedagogy and organization of the residency program. Related to that, the assistant PD, Dr. Rockhill, seems to be a tremendous advocate for the residents and often invites people to his house on the weekend to enjoy his speed boat. The work load was a little difficult to assess, but all the residents were very happy and talked freely about their hobbies at the after-interview dinner so I guess it can't be too bad. Speaking of which, UW is another place that invites their faculty to the interview dinner, but everyone was extremely friendly and there were no "Crap! Can I have a glass of wine in front of this person?" moments.
Pros: Diversity of technology (gamma knife, protons coming soon, neutrons, and world-class prostate brachytherapy experience), friendly residents, and a program that is extremely committed to its trainees. Finally, Seattle is beautiful, and as I understand it, fairly affordable as well.
Cons: The Chair is on his way out after a long and very distinguished career, and I imagine there could be a little anxiety about the transition. UW doesn't have much of history for producing physician scientists, but there is a big push to change that. Finally, there is a lot of precipitation in Seattle, but as one of the residents put it to me, "It doesn't really rain here, but its often rainy."

Last edited:
Seriously, I was wondering the same thing. Not every program and person is awesome. What's the point of interview impressions if every program ever made is amazing? Yes I know I could post my own impressions but I rather criticize and judge

-R

Keep in mind that most of these reviewed programs are considered top tiered programs, so naturally, they will have favorable reviews. I actually think the reviews are relatively well-balanced and relatively fair. The cons are written in there for each one...

Considering I never interviewed at many of those places, I can not comment on all but I guess all I'm really asking is for some juicy gossip... Like housewives of Atlanta type stuff. I know MD Anderson is Tim Tebow and Harvard is Jeremy Lin (literally) but I know for a fact that one of these other places has malignant characteristics.

-R

Last edited:
Yeah - Dirt! Dirt! Dirt!
I know at least one of those programs continues to be malignant, as well ...
-Simul

More reviews to mull over the weekend, thanks!

North Shore- Long Island Jewish
- Taking two this year I believe (they were really excited about being the only new program taking two, so I didnt have the heart to tell them that Texas A&M was as well). This was an interesting interview. The facilities / department were pretty average, tech seemed fine. They are in the process of building a new department, but I am unsure of the date it will open. Resident curriculum/rotations seemed up in the air. I felt like I left the interview with more questions than answers in terms of their educational goals and departmental focus. They seem really interested in changing the way residents are educated, but a lot of their ideas seem 'meh" ( If you are reading this- PD - NO candidates want to have regularly scheduled videotaped patient encounters in a sim lab as residents-- we all did this in medical school and it probably made us dumber -- ). They have a very informative website. They have taken a lot of faculty from big centers, and all are very nice and down to earth. In the words of one of my interviewers they are "elevating the standard of cancer care" in the NSLIJ system, which is one of the largest in America. I feel like this may be a great program in 10 years, but right now the lack of a true cancer center/true curriculum/well trained senior residents, and the multiple rotation sites all over long island/ NYC make this place a hard sell unless you absolutely have to stay in the NYC area.

New York Methodist Hospital
- Agree with post # 417 completely. Thought about not ranking at all but park slope is awesome and i figured if I end up here I will do a fellowship or attempt to transfer.

SUNY Downstate
- Seemed like the faculty were really nice. I really enjoyed meeting Dr. Rotman, just because he is such a great figure in Rad Onc. If you interview here DO NOT offer to shake his hand, he doesnt do that. Residents were very nice, most of them came from downstate if I remember correctly. Go to Memorial for peds, Beth Isreal, Downstate, Kings County, and another community hospital. The departments at Downstate and Kings County were old and tech seemed old as well, but they are doing SBRT if I remember correctly. Patient population in this area is more indigent, a lot of Afro-Caribbean patients with advanced pathology (this is a plus for me). I think it would be fine to train here, between all the sites, but this place is stuck in a time warp. I dont really feel any energy/positive change here, but nothing really negative either.

University of Nebraska
- Details are a little hazy of this interview, another new program. PC was super nice and took us on brief tour of Omaha on the way to satellite. I will say the city exceeded my expectations in every way, much more urban/interesting than I imagined. They seemed super interested in their residency. PD and Chair were very nice. Department seemed nice too. They have a radiolabeling facility and a faculty member who is doing some cool things in that arena. I can see this being a really good smaller program, especially if you are from this area.

Minnesota
- agree with a mix of what post 418 and post 433 said. I was excited to interview here, but after interviewing with the 8000 other applicants I thought it wasn't really worth the effort to get up there.

Texas A&M
- This is a new program, approved for 8 spots total. The faculty are almost all from Albert Einstein, except one from UTSA who seemed like a big deal in GU. 1 resident so far. Curriculum / rotations well laid out. Department average, with average tech. They are building 2-3 new satellite facilities in addition to the ones they have right now, numbers dont seem to be an issue. All rotations will be in house ( they seem to have a good peds volume). Taking their old CT sim to use for a CT guided brachy suite which is cool to me. Cancer Center headed by Radonc Chair so that should be good I guess. Faculty are all very young which is a mixed blessing. Chair played with his iPhone when he was interviewing me, which was insulting given I had flown across the country to have a 15 minute convo with him. Located in the middle of nowhere, Tx about an hour if you speed from downtown Austin, and a couple of hours from Dallas. Interviewed here bc it gave me an excuse to spend the weekend in Austin, but another prog that would be fine if you need to be in this area for any reason.

Allegheny General
- Small program with 4 residents, all very cool- best group of residents I have met so far. Odd behavioral interview style had some of the hardest interview questions this season, but not bad. They interview a very small number of people. Department itself has average tech, but they seem to have really good numbers for everything except peds/protons, which you spend a month at CHOP for, and another month at UPMC. The hospital has a newish cancer center but the radonc dept is in the sub basement of the old building. They do a lot of the multidisciplinary stuff over in the new center. Have some multidisciplinary clinics if that is important to you. Just opened a new satellite, about to reopen West Penn Hospital and add 2-3 new faculty. Started their own medical school , the second campus for temple, which hasnt graduated a class yet, but they were previously a rotation site for temple and drexel. Treat a wide socioeconomic range, but is in pittsburgh so maybe not the most "diverse." Faculty are good teachers / down to earth. Research opportunities are good for a small dept, their EMR allows you to pull a lot of data quickly, and they pay 100% for any conferences you present at I am pretty sure. Every resident gets their own office, which was unique compared to other programs I have seen. Ended up ranking this place high based on vibe/leisureliness even though I hate the steelers.

Now this is what I'm talking about! I feel like I got a full course meal with this review, very very useful!

-R

Great reviews! Thank you to all those who have contributed!

Thanks to an anonymous contributor for these post-Match impressions.

Harvard

Of course they have all the big names, research ops, technology, etc that other posters have commented on; what really impressed me on interview day was the warm, friendly and generally un-Harvard atmosphere that pervaded the department. I heard from several sources that residents play a big role in the selection process, which seems to screen out any gunner types and yield a really friendly, interesting and cohesive group. Residents were uniformly happy, and seemed to have reasonable schedules. Having the diversity of rotating at the many Harvard hospitals seems like a real strength that is not replicated at other institutions. Their job placement record is unparalleled; primarily academic and east coast, but folks have landed great PP and west coast jobs in recent years as well. The interview process is indeed grueling, with the two days of interviews and a lot of time with residents who are secretly judging you, but I took it as a sign that they cared about really getting to know the applicants. I will echo other reviewers that telling applicants that they should tell the program they are going to rank them first if they want to be ranked highly violates the spirit, if not the letter, of the match.

Bottom line: Far and away the best program in the country, with a great training environment and unique advantages due to its size.

Award: Highest volume of good food on an interview, with 3 meals at great restaurants.

MSKCC

The fact that these residents work very hard has been amply discussed. While some people seem to thrive in that environment, it was pretty much a dealbreaker for me, as I just don’t see the marginal benefit of handling that extra volume. I will say that the residents seemed surprisingly happy given the workload. The interview day itself was probably the most grueling on the trail, with 8 separate panel interviews with 2-3 faculty members each, many of them quite confrontational. I got asked the ridiculous “why didn’t you rotate here?” question early on in the day, and it just went downhill from there. The PD did seem quite supportive, and appeared to be playing the good cop role in the whole process.

Bottom line: May be a good fit if you learn primarily through experience/adversity or if you just really want to live in Manhattan.

Award: Most asinine question on interview trail (see above).

Chicago

The most salient feature of this program is the Monday didactics, which are intimidating and intense, though I did not find them to be malignant per se. They clearly prepare the residents well and may be a good fit for folks who need a little kick in the tush to study. But the bottom line is that residents have to read papers to prepare for didactics pretty much every Sunday, and I wasn't hot on sacrificing weekend time just to avoid being embarrassed in front of my peers. The interview day itself was oddly structured, with all 26 applicants coming on one day, giving it an impersonal feel. We interviewed mainly with junior faculty and residents; I even had an interview with a PP guy who came once a month to give a lecture to the residents (?). On top of that, the chair happened to be gone on the only interview day. All this gave the impression that either they are trying to hide applicants from faculty members who may not be the most friendly, or the senior faculty just don't care much about resident recruitment. The PD was indeed weird (as folks have remarked before), though I thought in a totally benign way. He seemed like a solid guy and an advocate for the residents.

Bottom line: A strong program if you are into basic science and don’t mind the didactic system.

Award: Best view from applicant dinner (from skyscraper overlooking lake Michigan/Chicago skyline)

MDACC

The best organized interview day, from the gift baskets waiting for us at the hotel room (which was paid for) to the seamlessly organized schedule. Although the single panel interview was terrifying, they ask you to prepare a presentation on a topic not related to radiation oncology and it ended up being really fun to talk about a topic of your choosing for most of the interview. And since we were not spending all day answering the same questions over and over, we had lots of time to tour the giant department and get to know the residents. In addition to the obvious wealth of resources, expertise and research opportunities, the biggest strength appears to be fact that attendings are generally self-sufficient, allowing residents to focus on education with minimal scut. Residents seemed quite happy, with reasonable schedules and a lot of high yield learning. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the relatively cavalier attitude many in the department have towards protons and their future in the field. I know there is controversy over this, but I am not sure I would feel entirely comfortable training in an environment where folks are not more circumspect about the correct application of such hugely expensive treatment.

Bottom line: Top-notch training in warm environment; Houston is a sweltering armpit of a city, but family friendly and affordable I guess.

Award: Best hospitality

University of Colorado

This program is a real gem, providing solid clinical training in a great environment. Residents were some of the happiest on the trail, with a reasonable workload and plenty of time to enjoy Colorado. Attendings were uniformly friendly and engaging, and there appeared to be a good deal of camaraderie between residents and attendings. The department is apparently in the process of hiring their first 80/20 research physician, which may do a lot to help elevate the department above its current reputation of being predominantly clinical. Unfortunately, residents currently only get 3 months of research; enough for some past residents to have been quite productive on clinical projects, but something of a deal breaker for most folks seriously considering an academic career. Finally, they get bonus points for explicitly stating that they do not want applicants to write thank you notes.

Bottom line: A rising star, with the potential to join the likes of Michigan and Wisconsin as top programs at a state institution. Unbeatable quality of life in Colorado.

Award: Most badass faculty/residents (triatheletes, etc)

UW

This was a fun interview day, with a mix of panel and one-on-one interviews with warm and engaging faculty and residents. The PD was really fantastic and seemed to be doing great things for the program. The residents seemed like a happy and cool group, though I wasn’t able to get a sense of how hard they were working. Folks have bemoaned the multiple sites in the past, but with the exception of the VA all were pretty close to the main campus and didn’t seem to be a big issue. The PD also stated that thank you letters were not necessary, winning them some serious bonus points.

Bottom line: A recently improved program in a nice city, with a laid back feel.

Award: Best dressed residents, with their own Seattle-hipster style.

UCSF

On paper this is indeed an elite program, with the big names, research opportunities and job placement record to match. And yet, on interview day, the program gave off a distinctly apathetic vibe. The resident who gave us an intro talk in the morning was 15 minutes late and only one resident bothered to come eat lunch with the applicants. Less than half came to dinner, all were about 45 minutes late, and nobody really seemed that happy about the program or eager to sell it to the applicants. The department chair seemed fairly checked out as well. All of which gave the impression of a department resting on its reputation and not striving to innovate or improve. Residents continue to take primarily PP jobs (though it sounds like 1-2 of the three this year are going into academics). Of course there is nothing wrong with private practice (still undecided myself), but the fact that so many MD/PhDs from this program end up going the PP route makes one wonder if there is something about the training at UCSF that sours residents to academics. On the plus side, the PD is indeed as fantastic as everyone says she is, and a relatively new hire is in a role of assistant PD and seems to be working hard to improve the didactics and other aspects of the program.

Bottom line: If you want a PP job on the west coast this is the place to be, but I was left with the impression that its reputation exceeds the actual richness of the training experience here.

Award: Most comprehensive campus tour (including an ICU floor, library, gym and two cafeterias)

Stanford

Previous reviewers have described the atmosphere here as “cold”, which was pretty much the opposite of what I experienced on interview day. We were greeted with nice welcomes from both the PD and the new chair, and most interviews (especially those with senior faculty) were quite warm and engaging. All the residents were given the day off of clinic and basically hung around all day to talk with applicants between interviews, which was a nice touch. The big news in the department is the appointment of a new chair, who has fairly ambitious goals for moving the department forward and seemed to have everyone pretty energized. This program has a reputation for being fairly scut heavy; talking to residents this seemed to still be a bit of an issue although the department is in the process of hiring more support staff to help with this, so it may be improved in the future.

Bottom Line: A historically strong department that seems to be stepping up their game, and may soon rival their northern neighbor for west coast dominance.

Award: Best interview dinner (Amazing sushi in Palo Alto)

UCSD

Like everyone else, I didn’t know what to expect from this new department, but came away very pleasantly surprised. Dr. Mundt is fantastic, and has clearly put a tremendous amount of thought and work into building a strong department from the ground up. Clinically, they have a huge referral base and recently doubled their patient load by acquiring the Kaiser San Diego contract. This means they are expanding their faculty like crazy and there will be plenty of volume for residents in the coming years. They also are planning on getting a single vault proton machine soon. Research in the department is surprisingly active given its young age, but appears to be mainly in the technology/imaging realm with only a couple clinical trials and not much basic science. But its affiliation with the larger UCSD/Salk research behemoth means there are probably plenty of opportunities for residents. Perks of the program include a full protected 4th year for research, a relevant sounding “Business of Medicine” component of the curriculum (recognizing that many residents will go into private practice), and a fully funded month-long international rotation. The two existing residents seemed happy with their training and of course loved San Diego. The facilities were new and gorgeous, but did feel a bit sterile. Really, the only downside of the program is its inherent newness and the fact that it doesn’t yet have a track record of producing well trained physicians who land good jobs; there may well be kinks to work out in the coming years.

Bottom line: Think of this program as a great new pair of shoes: it is shiny, beautiful, has all the features you want, and fits right when you try it on. But there is a good chance you will get a blister or two before it gets worn in. In five years this could easily be the top SoCal program.

Award: Best prepared interviewers (everyone knew everything about me!)

Here's another set of great, detailed and diverse impressions, thank you!

University of Minnesota - COLD! Visited the twin cities early in interview season and it was easily the coldest. Twin cities have a wonderful reputation and I have visited before; very nice in the summer, brutal in the winter. The medical center is right on the university campus so lots of students around. Nice large hospital with a an attached dedicated cancer center. Clinic facilities average. All major tech present. There is also a linac at the nearby children's hospital but I think I remember being told that this wasn't staffed by the residents. One thing that sticks out about this program is that it is a division of the radiology department rather than a stand-alone department. Small-medium program approved for 6, taking 2 this year. I don't exactly know what this means to prospective residents. Residents were very nice and seemed happy. I was happy to see 2 other southerners who seemed to have adjusted well to the frozen tundra. I would like to echo some previous comments that the "cush" livestyle of the program was stressed slightly too much, as was the difficulty of doing research projects. Wonderful pre-interview dinner at a tapas restaurant! Unfortunately it was all downhill from there for me. Interview day was brutal. My schedule had ~6 hours of downtime in the middle with nothing to do but sit. Most of my interviews were strained with the exception of the chair and PD. Most interviewers seemed preoccupied with whether or not I could tolerate the cold... I thought spending $800 to come to the interview was a show of good faith on my part. Also there was a negative vibe whenever the talk of research came up (even clinical projects). It would go something like "well, we don't really do that here but it would be possible..." I was very disappointed overall in the interview day. Also, interviewing wtih 40 other people is a bit much. On the whole this probably isn't a bad place, but no one tried to sell it to me.

Rank: Bottom 1/3 based on negative impression. Twin cities are nice but cold, program seems stalled, faculty were nice but passive. I'm sure the pediatricts experience here is wonderful but got completely brushed over on interview day.

University of Kentucky - Lexington is a great small city. Trip started off great by meeting a friend and going out for pizza and beer (high recommend Pazzo's for future interviewers). I think this would be a great place to raise a family. Walking into the hospital was a pleasant shock... brand new and shiny. Unfortunately this didn't carry over to the department which was aging. All necessary tech present. Small program, 4 total, taking 1 this year. Required prelim year, primarily surgical but with some oncology-specific rotations. Residents were very happy and seemed productive; all had projects going on. Clinic load seems heavy with possibility of having to cover multiple attendings. Little dedicated research time. Interviews were very laid back and I got along well with all of the faculty. I did get the impression that there was a bit of the "residents are here to work" rather than learn attitude, but it definitely wasn't malignant. Overall I was surprised at how much I did like it, but had to temper this objectively with the lack of academic opportunities. Oh, and easily the best interview lunch at a local steakhouse.

Rank: Bottom 1/3 based primarily on lack of academic opportunity. Lexington is a great smaller city, facilities were acceptable but maybe lacking, faculty were nice but resident focus is almost solely clinic oriented.

University of Arizona - First off, walking off the plane in Tucson is like walking into a postcard... beautiful! The medical center is nice and appears to be easily accessible by car (not downtown). Department similar to the vast majority of radiation oncology centers, not inspiring but not depressing either. All major tech present except protons but all from different manufacturers, meaning 4 different planning systems to learn. Residents seemed genuinely happy and described the program as laid back and clinically oriented, but clinical research definitely encouraged and basic research possible. Clinic load is about average with 6 months research time. I think they are approved for 7 total as of right now, taking 2 this year so small-medium sized program. Interviews were small panels but very laid back. Every attending was very pleasant and I felt very welcomed. The chair and future PD were particularly nice. I definitely got the feeling that the faculty are very supportive of the residents whatever their goals are, research or private practice. I think it would be incredibly easy to be happy here but to be productive with research you would have to be self-motivated.

Rank: Middle 1/3 mainly due to lack of opportunities for spouse in Tucson. Otherwise I liked the program, loved the faculty, and had a positive impression of Tucson.

Thomas Jefferson - Jefferson is located in the center city district of Philadelphia which was very nice. The city itself is large and has a lot to offer. Living in town is feasible but expensive. Some of the residents live in the suburbs for a more family-friendly atmosphere and commute in via public transportation. Driving would be a nightmare and parking is very expensive. The hospital itself is medium-sized but nice. The department was undergoing substantial renovations during the interview with a clinic update and new tech going in. Medium size program with 8 total residents, taking 2 this year. Clinic load is average with 1 year guaranteed for research. Residents all seemed happy and had been very productive. Good split of residents going into academics and private practice. Obviously the ties with RTOG are strong which would be a great resource for residents wanting to do clinical research. Don't know about basic science here. Lots of interviews but they were all fun and the day flew by. Very well organized. I got along well with all of the faculty. Everyone seemed excited to have me there and were focused on how I could be successful should I match with them. PD extremely nice. Chair interview was a bit intense but well-intentioned I believe. They are pushing academics here but still seem to have residents' best interests at heart.

Rank: Middle 1/3, almost top. Faculty super nice, ample opportunities for acadmically oriented residents, RTOG connection. Philly is awesome but expensive and seemingly not family friendly.

Cincinnati - Spent a little time in Cinci during undergraduate and not a huge fan of the city, though I probably saw worse areas of it then than I would now care to visit. Cost of living relatively low in the suburbs and would be reasonable to commute by car. Residents not super happy but not unhappy. Small-medium program with 6 total, taking 2 this year. Clinic load is average with not much dedicated research time. Most residents going into private practice. Clinical research possible. Obviously pediatrics experience here would be fantastic. Facilities average with all the usual tech. Interview day started off with the PD who is very charismatic and I got a great vibe from her. The other interviews were strained for me unfortunately. Really wanted to like this place more than I did since my spouse is in a pediatric field. That said, I think this place has a lot to offer the right person and whoever matches here will be super happy.

Rank: Middle 1/3 due to funky vibe though I wouldn't have been sad to have matched here. Faculty seemed nice despite stained interviews. Great peds experience. Decent place to live.

Ohio State - Never been to Columbus before and didn't realize how large of a city it was. Lots to offer but plenty of suburbs to choose from with a reasonable commute. Had dinner the night before at the PDs house which I thought was going to be weird but was actually very nice; got to meet many of the faculty members in a relaxed atmosphere. Large, well respected medical center and is a top tier program in many specialties. Department is old but construction already started on a massive self-contained cancer center. This place obviously has a lot of money and they are throwing it towards the department. Rapidly expanding program looking to be at 12 total in the next few years and taking 3 this year. They also seem to be growing particularly in the basic science direction (chair and PD are both physician scientists). If I were an MD/PhD looking to do some basic research during my residency then I would strongly consider this program. Full year of research time for every resident. Lots of motivated new attendings. Probably the most charismatic PD of any program I interviewed at, tried hard to sell the program on my interview day and I totally bought it. Chair is very approachable and nice and had my application memorized at the interview. Interview day was busy with some interviews one-on-one and some small panels. Got along well with everyone. The only weird thing was that one of the attendings had their applicant rating sheet out in the open and I could clearly see this one person was very unimpressed. Heard a similar story from every other applicant as well, so I didn't let it get to me. This place historically does not have a reputation (good or bad) but seems to be in very capable and motivated hands. I think whoever ignores the fact that this is not a "top 10" program and matches here will have ample opportunities to be successful. Also Nationwide is next door to provide a top pediatrics experience.

Rank: Top 1/3 based entirely on the interview day. They sold it and I bought it.

Rush Medical - Chicago is a large city with a lot going on. Rush is located just outside of downtown in a nice area. Would be expensive to live and definitely not possible to have a house with a yard. There are some perks here though with free parking, etc. Hospital itself is very nice and they have almost completed a huge addition. However the department is old and dreary. Residents were very happy. Small-medium program with 6 total, taking 2 this year (one advanced and one categorical). Tech is so-so, just now getting 3T MRI. Sat through morning report which was mainly attending-driven; read earlier posts about this being a major pimp session but that's now how it was when I was there. Everyone was friendly and I didn't get any negative vibes. They also have a new full time basic science faculty member with a new lab. Interviews were varied. Some were very laid back. Others had some stock interview questions that were pretty weird, i.e. "tell me about a time when..." PD is super nice. Chair interview was odd but not in a bad way. Overall nothing negative here, but nothing really wowed me either. Oh, we went to the faculty restaurant for lunch... this is defintiely a private hospital (super nice, almost obsene).

Rank: Bottom 1/3 only because I couldn't find a reason to rank it higher. I just liked other places better, there weren't any negatives against it.

Alabama Medical Center - Birmingham is a mediocre city in the deep south. May be a difficult adjustment for some but relatively low cost of living. Large medical center located just outside of downtown. Hospital is currently expanding with a new children's hospital almost being completed. Hospital is top tier in many medical and surgical subspecialties. Radiation oncology facility is brand new and one of the nicest on the trail. Residents seem very happy. One currently starting Holman pathway. Recent expansion towards basic science with 4 on-site labs up and running. Most residents go into private practice but seemingly lots of opportunity for basic science or clinical research. Again, if I were looking to do some basic research outside of a "top 10" place, this program would definitely be on my radar. 6 months dedicated time. All tech available. They have a research contract with Varian to assure keeping equipment up to date. Clinical load average to heavy depending on service. All of the faculty very nice. Interview day was well-organized but fast (no dedicated bathroom break time), knocked it out by noon. Chair seems very approachable. Serious but nice PD. Overall another program that doesn't get mentioned on this forum but has a strong reputation in the field and made a great impression on interview day.

Rank: Top 1/3 based on great facilities, seemingly good opportunity for clinical research, and agreeable faculty. Also location is a relative positive for me hear since it is near family.

University of Miami / Jackson Memorial - Miami is a bit of a culture shock for me, but is pretty near to paradise. Wonderful weather all year round. Program is based out of the Sylvester cancer center which is not at Jackson Memorial. Facilities are on the nicer side with improvements underway (MRI sim being installed currently). Residents seem rather happy and successful. The few negatives I heard were based on how the department is changing and becoming more academically oriented. Residents currently rotate at the cancer center and also staff Jackson Memorial, though only go over with attendings and are never based out of here. Lots of small perks at this program including lots of free food, free dry cleaning, free parking, stipends, etc. Currently 6 months of dedicated research time recently added to the program. Chair is very motivated and seems to be very involved with the residency. PD seems to be one of the nicest people I have ever met. Faculty is expanding. Basic science labs available (chair is a physician scientist). Currently not an NCI designated cancer center, but should be soon. Large volume center since is the only academic center for around 5 million people. Program currently approved for 8 but in the process of expanding. Taking 2 during the match but PD stated that they will hopefully have another spot approved just after the match and will be looking to take a third. Interview was one large panel session that was very relaxed, no ridiculous questions, no pimping. Overall I was super impressed with this place. Obviously with the recent change in department chair this program was expected to improve, but I still wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much. Also, the dinner the night before was fantastic.

Rank: Top 1/3. This place seems to be a rising star and I would love to be along for the ride.

Baylor - Houston is an enormous, sprawling city. Lots of suburbs around and cost of living is super low. Relatively easy commute to the hospital district which is located a few miles outside of downtown. Heard and read a lot of negative things about this program so went in pretty skeptical. This program staffs Taub (free hospital), St. Lukes (private), and the monstrosity that is the Houston VA. Facilities are what you would expect - terrible at Taub, relatively nice at St. Lukes, and the VA is the VA. I find it a bit disturbing that this program does not have its own hospital, though hopefully construction will be resumed and completed within a few years. Obviously the break with Methodist hurt this program both by the loss of facilities and the loss of attendings. ZERO dedicated reasearch time built in. Evidently this is due to a funding issue, so if you can find funding then the research is possible and the current residents seem to be successful at this. MD Anderson is right next door, and if you can get over the inferiority complex that goes with this then I think it would actually work to your advantage because it would be an endless supply of research opportunity. That said, I think the research opportunities here are lacking and would be a lot more work to get started than other places. Medium size program with 8 total, taking 2 this year. Faculty didn't really do a great job of presenting themselves, but I did miss the pre-interview shindig. 3 small panel interviews, one pleasant, one so-so, and one borderline malignant. One interviewer asked me a question that made me uncomfortable and then pressed it a little bit more. Not a brutal match violation or anything, but a bit nosey. I can't really comment on the chair or PD because they didn't stand out. I think they could have sold the program more and I might have ranked them higher if they did, but I guess with 8+ home applicants this year they didn't have to.

Rank: Bottom 1/3 based on interview day, lack of a main hospital, no research time, and being in the (literal) shadow of MD Anderson.

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill is great. Wonderful place to have a family. The negative is that there really isn't a downtown anywhere... Raleigh is ~30 minutes away and is also rather small. Hospital is nice and well known for being strong in a number of areas. Note that UNC manages the indigent care in the area and Duke has the contract with the VA. Homegrown treatment planning software was touted as being fertile ground for research projects. Apparently a very productive physics group and plenty of basic science opportunities. 6 months dedicated research time. I had really high hopes coming here, and the first half of my interview day was awesome. Met with a couple of junior attendings, physics faculty, and radiobiology faculty and got along very well. Lunch was nice... and then my day tanked. Interview with the chair consisted of watching him look at my application for the first time. Multiple attendings made snide remarks about my research experience. [Rant edited out]. By the end of the afternoon I was left wondering why I was invited. Luckily met with the PD towards the end who was super nice, but very reserved making me wonder if they would stand by the residents against the other attendings if required. Residents, with the exception of one, kept very quiet about things, both at dinner and at the interview day. Interviewed 33 applicants for 1 spot (6 total residents).

Rank: Middle 1/3 based on great location, strong reputation of the medical center as a whole, and good research opportunities in my area. Also lots of great opportunities within a 30 mile radius for my spouse. In hindsight my negative experience was based really on 2-3 interviews of like 12 so ended up ranking it higher than expected.

William Beaumont - Deteroit is... not as bad as I thought! Beaumont is located in a nice suburb about half an hour from downtown. Cost of living is reasonable. Beaumont itself is a massive hospital and the department is very nice. Lots of work space for the residents. 12 residents total, taking 3 this year. Residents staff the main hospital as well as one satellite. Shout out for the best breakfast with ham and egg sandwiches and good coffee. Full year of dedicated research time. Obviously the loss of attendings here is a bit concerning, but I was assured that this would have no effect on the residents. Interviews here were a bit bizarre. Multiple faculty only wanted to talk about what research I would do there with no concern for who I was and how I could help take care of the patients. Also some strange stock interview questions here. Also had a full half hour interview with a radiation biology faculty member who was telling me all about their lab facilities which I had no clue about since I have never worked in a lab before. Overall, seems like there are lots of opportunities to be successful here with the current chiefs getting GREAT offers. I just don't feel like I fit in as well as I did at other places.

Rank: Middle 1/3 based on poor location, odd vibe at interviews, but good reputation, full year of research, and great research opportunities.

University of Louisville - Louisville is a great city. Reminds me a lot of my hometown but nicer. Inexpensive to live but still a nice downtown and nightlife area. Could get lost on the bourbon trail... Anyways, hospital is an intermediate size with a stand alone cancer center. Department looks a bit dated but all the usual tech. Currently installing 2 new linacs. There was a big hospital merger with U of L and local private hospitals which has apparently fallen through. Don't know how this would affect the department. Program is medium sized with 8 total residents, taking 2 this year. Probably the funniest group of residents I met. Adequate clinical research opportunities and 1 resident is spearheading a protocol. No apparent basic science opportunities. Chair is super nice and seems involved with the residents. New PD this year seems motivated and very academically oriented. Young attendings also seem motivated. This program doesn't typically send residents to academics, but plenty of opportunities to be successful here.

Rank: Middle 1/3 just because I liked other programs more. No screaming negatives for me.

Emory - Not a huge fan of Atlanta, but its alright I guess. Cost of living is pretty low, but to be able to afford a house you would have to commute >30 minutes. Program staffs 4 sites: Emory University hospital, Emory Midtown hospital, Atlanta VA, and Grady (free hospital). Approved for 16, but only taking 2 this year due to funding issues. Sites are relatively close to one another geographically but takes forever to get anywhere in Atlanta. Lots of resources here and protons on the way. Great Velocity software suite being developed here. Beautiful cancer center chaired by a radiation oncologist. Plenty of basic science opportunities for those so inclined. Residents seem happy, but are an intense group. 2 of 3 chief residents are going into academics with multiple offers each. 6 months dedicated research time with the possibility of extending to 9 months in special cases of pursuing a MS in clinical research (PD made it very clear however that this was NOT the norm). Clinical load here is very heavy, particularly at Grady with loads of variety. Multiple sites is a hassle in my opinion but teleconferencing is in place to help with grand rounds, etc. Interview day was luke warm. PD is very dry but seems nice enough. Chair is very charismatic but seems very busy and is often away (even more than most chairs) and therefore doesn't seem very approachable. Otherwise faculty seems fantastic and dedicated to teaching. Overall, my feeling is that this place is almost just like MSKCC but split over 4 sites. No idea why this program isn't mentioned more on SDN.

Rank: Top 1/3 because of amazing clinical training and clinical research opportunities. Obviously a strong connection with RTOG here as well.

MSKCC - Located in a very nice area of Manhattan. Felt very safe walking around at night. Cost of living somewhat offset by subsidized housing. Large program of 25, taking 5 this year. I thought the facilities and clinic was a bit dreary personally. Also, this is a cancer only hospital so your interaction with other residents is minimal. Loads of clinical research opportunities. Clinical experience should be top notch but apparently a bit of trial by fire. Residents seemed happy enough, but there was a clearly an element of pride masking any grievances (not that this is a bad thing). LOVED my interaction with the faculty here; this is definitely the strong point of this program. Interview day was very relaxed. Chair interview was a bit intense, but not in a negative way. I definitely got the feeling you are going to be pushed if you match at this program. Overall I really liked this program and I definitely understand why it is always considered a top 3 program. However, I think that this visit illustrated how the gap between good programs in this field is small and once you start making your rank list all of the rankings go out the window.

Rank: Top 1/3 because of clinical opportunities and reputation. Having lots of co-residents in my program would be fun, but no residents from other specialties.

I really appreciate all of the feedback this year!

Beaumont - There has been a lot of speculation about Beaumont's 'fall from grace' in recent months. I would like to dispel any notion that this is not an elite program (and no I did not match there). The training has changed very little as a result of the changes occurring in the past few months. I am sure others that interviewed this year at Beaumont would second my opinion. The clinical training is beyond fantastic. However, one thing that is underrated about this program is the basic science research. The radiobiology dept is off the hook with cutting edge research. Physics research is also very strong. The transitional year is cancer specific with a very reasonable schedule. Residents graduating from this program are landing incredible academic positions (I do not see this changing).

The Ohio State University - This department is exploding and dripping with incredible potential. OSU is currently building a billion dollar cancer center (which will be finished in the next year and a half or so). The chair is amazing as well as the program director. The clinical training in this program has been strong for years. The research side of the program is really picking up. Columbus is a happening place. The one downside (potential upside depending on our views) is the cumbersome workload for the residents, which makes for longer hours than most programs.

Penn - Way too much about this program has already been written. One interesting tid bit is that prostate brachytherapy is non-existent here. You will need to do an away rotation in order to gain experience (which shouldn't be hard with all the quality rad onc programs in Philly.

Duke - Amazing program that has been about which much has already been said. Again, hardly any prostate brachytherapy. Would need to do an away rotation. Building a beautiful new cancer center.

UNC - Great program. Great cost of living. Could work with some of rad onc's biggest names here. This program might have the best didactics around. The schedule is great. The workload is average. The one downside is the residents have to give an insane amount of presentations for the department. In my mind, this would become cumbersome and irritating while trying to keep up with your clinical duties.

Mayo Rochester - The training here is fantastic. You are exposed to essentially every modality you can imagine. The research CVs of graduating residents are very impressive. Incredible schedule. The attendings are some of the nicest people on the planet. If you have a family, this might possibly be the best place in the country for you. The moonlighting opportunities (if you need the extra cash) are second to none.

Cleveland Clinc - Fantastic program. Every morning there is an hour long pimp session for the residents. However, it is done in a very non-confrontational manner. I had heard about these sessions before attending my interview and thought it might be a turn off, but it actually was not bad at all. Very collegial. The training here would be great. Great cost of living. The residents are very happy.

Utah - Amazing facilities and great training. This might be the most beautiful cancer center in the states as it is nestled at the base of a mountain range. The attendings all seemed very nice on interview day. The residents all seemed to love the program, one of which just landed a sweet CNS job at MDACC. In addition to the fantastic training, the outdoors in Utah are incredible. Cheap season ski passes are available for residents and your are literally within 30 minutes from some of the best ski resorts in the world.

MDACC - Way too much said about MDACC. Incredible training, but you have to live in Houston, which in my mind is a huge downside.

UAB - This is an incredible department. The training is fantastic, and the attendings seem incredibly nice and genuine. The residents are a very happy bunch. The schedule here is great. There are great moonlighting opportunities here. The cost of living is incredible. Most of the residents could afford to purchase a home very comfortably.

With this set of impressions come the return of teh funny . . .

Harvard: Everyone seems to want to match here and it's pretty easy to see why. Big program, stellar faculty, endless research opps during a a 12-month protected research year, all those sites/hospitals, amazing cancer center etc. There are no shortage of mentors here. I will add that, particularly at the Brigham side, there is a true intellectual environment that has been cultivated and faculty appear to be really invested in teaching residents. It seems like residents are always being educated through the myriad of morning conferences, chart rounds, m&m etc. As a result, the residents are unbelievably well-versed in the literature. I do think there is a price to pay for this. People talk ad nauseum about Chicago's morning conference, which was essentially modeled after Harvard when Weichselbaum arrived there. While Harvard's morning conferences are not as formal as Chicago's are today, they are still pretty rigorous, socratic method driven, and very frequent. The result is, you will spend a huge amount of time preparing for morning conference when not at work. Like Chicago, you will go Bruce Lee on the oral boards. Another down side I've hard about HROP is all those hospitals (BWI/BIDMC/MGH/BMC) are a logistical nightmare, and it kinda sucks at times to not have a single "home." One resident also told me that some attendings are particularly protective over their cases and as a result things can be a little more "hands off" here. The majority of recent grads got hired as profs in the Harvard system. And the Yankees suck.

Accolade: best Tae Kwon Do metaphors by Master D'Amico

UChicago:The morning conference. It was coming. It would be formal. There would be a podium. Residents would be pimped on who Broca was. Then the dogs would be released. Or the bees. Or the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you. Yeesh. Come on folks it's not malignant. Yeah, it was a formal conference and you have to prepare for it. That translates into Jedi mastery of patient management and literature. Lots of fantastic research going on here (indeed mostly basic but new opportunities for clinically-oriented people) and the opportunity to do "away electives" (many residents go abroad) is a cool, unique perk. I got the impression that the residents work hard but are really motivated and value what they get out the program. Chicago rocks.

Accolade: Driest sense of humor in a PD

UPenn: It seems that about a quarter of the incoming class of 2013 rotated here at some point. And all people talk about are the work hours/scut as a result of the recent Nutty Professor-like expansion. Bottom line is, yeah, it's true - you will work hard here as a resident. It's a busy department, and during my time here the junior faculty seemed to be just as overwhelmed as the residents - kind of a frenetic environment. The lack of research time is being addressed, although it is still fragmented (that's a bummer, man). That being said, the people here are phenomenal. Penn probably had my favorite group of residents of any program, and the faculty are friendly, approachable as well as obviously driven. The facilities are radonculous. The volume, while high, is diverse: bread & butter + complex/esoteric cases as this is the major tertiary care center in the area. Ultimately, I think Penn residents get some of the best clinical training in the country (exception: travel for prostate brachy). This is certainly emphasized by Penn's charismatic chair, Hahn Solo, who famously once said, "hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good linac at your side, kid." Seriously though Hahn is an amazing human being who is truly committed to patient care and an inspiring guy to be around. Philadelphia is only second to NYC on the east coast IMO. Oh right, and protons. I personally have mixed feelings about the goal of getting >50% of patients on protons, but hey, if you're into Bragg's peak, this is the place for you. Finally, I gotta say it, what the deuce was up with those bizzaro interview questions?? PD I guess is legendary for this, but come on this is not a corporate interview.

Accolade: most entertaining "interview- Glatstein behind his edifice of papers eating a muffin

Yale: Break out the sheepskin rug and start an open fire, it's Yale rad onc! This program has a gotten a lot of love in recent years and I think it's well deserved. Since taking over, Lynn Wilson has worked hard to create a collegial, supportive environment and hire administrative hands to decrease resident scut. A resident told me they all regularly have lunch with him to troubleshoot any issues. Wilson's presentation highlighted resident productivity and it was impressive. Seemed like in response to perhaps some concerns over work load, he also went over the case numbers, which are all well over ACGME minimum requirements except peds, which was close. In addition to your academic days and downtime, there's 12 months of continuous protected research, Holman, and RWJ = great opportunities for the aspiring academic. There is some real quality research coming out of here too - just check out the faculty pages. As has been said before, satellites require commuting, but residents seem to really like their experiences. New facilities are pristine. Get the feeling that rad onc >> med/surg onc at Smilow, but that the institution as a whole is undergoing significant expansion/recruitment under Thomas Lynch. Didn't get to meet a ton of faculty as we only had two interviews (and the cocktail event the night before), but the ones I did meet were really personable. I think this place requires significant self-motivation to learn rad onc: didactics seemed light and some are resident-resident, which other programs discussed trying to move away from. Seems like the perfect program if you're motivated but want time for your family. New Haven has some of the best pizza in the country and NYC is easy to get to.

Accolade: Freeist iPad

Michigan: Oh, if only this program weren't located in Ann Arbor. Not that I didn't like Ann Arbor, it's dainty, but it's too isolated from the rest of my life. This program has it all. It's got intellectual spark and a truly educative environment. I mean even the physics folk are in the clinic teaching residents. Pretty didactic heavy with a socratic method conference that residents claim isn't too rigorous (as long as you "know things you should know"). Clinical volume is high (most finish all of their reqs by end of PGY-3) meaning residents work pretty hard and I got the impression clinic hours can get intense. Michigan is obviously the dominant referral center in the area so plenty of variety comes through the clinic. So much research goes on here, from molecular imaging to outcomes there's bound to be something that tickles your fancy. You get a full protected year. Faculty are really impressive. Really what's not to like?

Accolade: Chair that gives Bruce Springsteen competition for nickname, "The Boss."

Johns Hopkins: Like Steve Hahn, Ted DeWeese is an unbelievably devoted, thoughtful, charismatic, patient-oriented physician. He's the kind of doctor you'd want to send a family member to. I got the feeling Hopkins is really trying to upgrade its reputation in the rad onc community. PD is new, nice, a little intense. Most research that goes on here is basic science (and very strong), however one resident is getting a master's in clinical research. I mean, it's Hopkins, so you're at a stellar cancer center working with outstanding colleagues. You'll get a mix of local underserved patients as well as patients who traveled thousands of miles fording rivers and hunting oxen to get here. That said, there was a little, "we're Hopkins" attitude that rubbed me the wrong way (even more so than Harvard). We devoted a big chunk of the day touring the fancy-pants new hospital that, as rad onc residents, we would spend very little time in. Baltimore.... has crabs and Camden yards.

Accolade: Our statue is better than yours" (says JHU to Rio)

UCSF: I mean, it's clearly got one the best locations in the country. Everyone wants to make pilgrimage to the bay area (mountains, ocean, food/wine, mild weather), which means there will never be a shortage of talent here. Although make sure you get a Prius, eat organic, and start composting, or you'll be cursed. I do feel like if this program were located anywhere else, it would be forced to impress in other domains. Some have noted a lack of pizzazz and I kind of agree. Everyone was very very nice, but other than a few individuals, there wasn't the same sort of passion for this field I saw at other departments. Could just be west coast culture - as a quick pubmed search shows plenty of UCSF faculty are doing great work. Also, PD seems really committed to resident education and injecting roids into the program in general. Facilities are split between Mount Zion (decent facilities and ground floor means office light) and Parnassus (holy view; rad onc facilities dated though). They say job placement on the west coast is money. I was warned Roach would make very little eye contact during my interview and it was true.

Accolade:Only place in America where MJ is legal but plastic bags aren't

Last edited: