Interview Invitation Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted401746

Is the interview season (in terms of getting invites, not the actual interviews themselves) still in the early stages, or is it already considered "later", and therefore the chances of getting interviews are reduced considerably?

Just curious.

Good luck to everyone on their pending applications/interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

nope. you got a good 7 months before its late to be getting interviews.

I would imagine that would be the time where the interview invite train ends, though...

Well, still good to hear. As you can tell, this is what neurotic pre-meds do at 1:41am :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say interviews peak around August-November, but many schools (especially non-rolling ones) offer interviews into February or March.

It's not "late" per se, but I would start getting uncomfortable if you haven't heard anything by November or so.

Not late until May? You have to be kidding...the cycle is already in the middle innings in terms of interview invites. Yes, there will be more interview invites to come, depending on the school, but to tell people they have a 'good 7 months' before it is late suggests that there is still time to apply and get secondaries done.

Some schools have already given out 75 percent of all the interview invitations they will offer; at the more selective schools, they will be filling remaining slots with late arriving superstar applications; if you were complete in August and have anything less than the most stellar stats, etc., you have probably already been passed over (edit: passed over at the top schools). Many schools will be completely out of interview slots in the next 60 to 90 days. There will be exceptions, but not many. By February, most schools will signal the obvious, that there are no more interview slots available.

On a related note: a few years ago, there was a Pritzker podcast that fleshed out one's chances at an interview invite depending on when applicants were complete; the contrast between the odds for a midsummer applicant vs the same applicant who was complete nearer to the official deadline was staggering - go find it. The take home message: Interview invitations are done on a first come, first served basis at most schools.

Last edited:
I'd say interviews peak around August-November, but many schools (especially non-rolling ones) offer interviews into February or March.

It's not "late" per se, but I would start getting uncomfortable if you haven't heard anything by November or so.

Thanks for the reply; I've had a few interviews, but it's been more than 6 weeks since my last invite. I haven't heard anything from the other schools I applied to, hence I'm getting a bit nervous.

Thanks for the reply; I've had a few interviews, but it's been more than 6 weeks since my last invite. I haven't heard anything from the other schools I applied to, hence I'm getting a bit nervous.

Then I wouldn't be too worried. Since you got an invite already it's obvious that you don't have a glaring weakness in your app (either that or this was a "charity" interview). The reason for the delays could be literally anything.

Good luck!

Not late until May? You have to be kidding...the cycle is already in the middle innings in terms of interview invites. Yes, there will be more interview invites to come, depending on the school, but to tell people they have a 'good 7 months' before it is late suggests that there is still time to apply and get secondaries done.

Some schools have already given out 75 percent of all the interview invitations they will offer; at the more selective schools, they will be filling remaining slots with late arriving superstar applications; if you were complete in August and have anything less than the most stellar stats, etc., you have probably already been passed over (edit: passed over at the top schools). Many schools will be completely out of interview slots in the next 60 to 90 days. There will be exceptions, but not many. By February, most schools will signal the obvious, that there are no more interview slots available.

On a related note: a few years ago, there was a Pritzker podcast that fleshed out one's chances at an interview invite depending on when applicants were complete; the contrast between the odds for a midsummer applicant vs the same applicant who was complete nearer to the official deadline was staggering - go find it. The take home message: Interview invitations are done on a first come, first served basis at most schools.

Relax, you missed the point completely. 7 months was an exaggerated approximation because many schools interview through March... so technically 6 months. You spent two paragraphs wasting your time ranting about a non-issue problem. OP has ALREADY SUBMITTED HIS APPS. So at this point explain to me how the tirade about how it is essential to submit AMCAS in a timely fashion is useful. The bottom line intent of my post was: dont freak out, there is nothing you can do about it. If you get them they will come... so why spend your time worrying?

Relax, you missed the point completely. 7 months was an exaggerated approximation because many schools interview through March... so technically 6 months. You spent two paragraphs wasting your time ranting about a non-issue problem. OP has ALREADY SUBMITTED HIS APPS. So at this point explain to me how the tirade about how it is essential to submit AMCAS in a timely fashion is useful. The bottom line intent of my post was: dont freak out, there is nothing you can do about it. If you get them they will come... so why spend your time worrying?

You missed my point completely.

I wasn't responding to the OP. I was responding to your misinformation about how late in the cycle one can expect interview invitations.

And lots of other pre meds are reading these threads, so my advice to them is to apply early and not believe what you wrote.

Funny how the OP questioned your statement, and another poster also gave an answer that directly called into question your statement which you now admit was exaggerated, yet you make me the target of your latest post. Like other current med students, I have actually been through the app process. If you don't find what I and others who have been through it have to say useful, feel free to move along.

But don't expect anybody to give a pass to misinformed posts like yours saying interview invites will still be going out 7 months from October, because what you wrote is very misleading.

Last edited:
Then I wouldn't be too worried. Since you got an invite already it's obvious that you don't have a glaring weakness in your app (either that or this was a "charity" interview). The reason for the delays could be literally anything.

Good luck!

Curious, what do you mean by charity interview?

FALSE!
Interview invites are not completely given out in the next 60-90 days (January). I did not receive my first interview until November and the majority of my interview invites were garnered between January and February. I received multiple acceptances, and I now attend my top choice school. As a side note, I almost did not attend my March 20th interview at UCSD because idiots on this site said that all spots would be filled by that point and I didn't want to waste $1500 flying across the country. Nevertheless, I interviewed and was accepted a week later. My advice is don't stress about what folks say on here because most if it is ill-informed and opinion based. As The Dude in Big Lebowski says:"Well that's just like, you know, your opinion, man."

FALSE!
Interview invites are not completely given out in the next 60-90 days (January). I did not receive my first interview until November and the majority of my interview invites were garnered between January and February. I received multiple acceptances, and I now attend my top choice school. As a side note, I almost did not attend my March 20th interview at UCSD because idiots on this site said that all spots would be filled by that point and I didn't want to waste $1500 flying across the country. Nevertheless, I interviewed and was accepted a week later. My advice is don't stress about what folks say on here because most if it is ill-informed and opinion based. As The Dude in Big Lebowski says:"Well that's just like, you know, your opinion, man."

One exception maketh not the rule.

Reactions: 1 user
FALSE!

Go back and read my post again. I clearly did not say all invites are given out in the next 60 to 90 days, and I did say that by February most schools will signal that they have no more interview spots. Nothing I said in my post contradicts your experience at all.

Question: I just recieved an interview invitation to UTMB. I have visited the campus several times and both of my older sisters have attended UTMB so I know that it is a very friendly enviroment. What i wanted to know is how the interview process is? Is it a relaxed interview or stressed? What questions are asked? and How did people who interviewed at UTMB know who they were interviewing with ahead of time? Because I would like to do some research on my interviewers so that I can have some questions to ask them. Thank you for your answers in advance!!

Question: I just recieved an interview invitation to UTMB. I have visited the campus several times and both of my older sisters have attended UTMB so I know that it is a very friendly enviroment. What i wanted to know is how the interview process is? Is it a relaxed interview or stressed? What questions are asked? and How did people who interviewed at UTMB know who they were interviewing with ahead of time? Because I would like to do some research on my interviewers so that I can have some questions to ask them. Thank you for your answers in advance!!

You have two sisters that went there... wouldn't calling them up and asking them be easier, more direct, and more trustworthy?

One of my best buds got an interview at Stritch in March and was accepted shortly after that. If you aren't getting secondaries, I'd be concerned. As for interviews, just kick back and relax. Don't be a neurotic ******* like me.