interview invitation timing and rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgonnabe

your royal travesty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is when you get invited for an interview an indication of how the program will most likely rank you?

i've been getting some invites rolling in lately, i'm guessing due to some cancellations and whatnot. i'm wondering if i'm basically going to be the bottom of the barrel for some of these places based on how late i'm getting these invites. i really do like some of these programs a lot, though, and wholeheartedly intend to make that known when i get to the interviews themselves.

also, thanks for the match thread in this forum. it was quite helpful. much :luck: to all the other ms4's!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are only just now getting an interview ... you are screwed!

So, really, I think that you may not be their #1 pre-interview choice. But that doesn't mean you cannot become their #1 post-interview choice. Get me?

not necessarily. i was told of someone last year who really wanted to go to UW madison badly. he had very high board scores, junior AOA, the works. he had all the other interviews he wanted but still hadnt heard from UW. as time went by, he started getting upset about the fact that he still hadnt recieved an interview from them. as it turns out, he ended up getting an interview there and matching there, and they really wanted him there as well. it turned out that UW reviews applications alphabetically, and that was why his invitation came so late.

dont lose hope. good luck.

Some programs havent even sent out invitations yet. Others go through the apps in various orders that have nothing to do with how desirable they find you. If a program invites you to interview you generally have a pretty good shot at ending up there unless they are one of the interview mills that interview >10 people per slot.

I wouldnt hesitate to accept interviews until after december, at that point the programs might indeed be getting nervous and interviewing safety candidates.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm jam packed with interviews (date wise to be able to FLY to all of them and come back and attend rotations) and had to cancel some just to fit them in! I've been declining offers now since a. I have all the invites from places I really want to go and b. I've run out of money :oops:

and I'm not being snotty - I'm just saying I"ve heard from my top choices which isn't that many - its just that I've run outta money before I could hear from all the programs that I applied to.

Poety said:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm jam packed with interviews and had to cancel some just to fit them in! I've been declining offers now since a. I have all the invites from places I really want to go and b. I've run out of money :oops:

Good for you buddy...

Now on to the actual topic of this thread, hey if you got an interview then you got an interview; you may trully be at the bottom of the barrel for that program and they just want you as a safety or they send invites alphabetically/reverse alphabetically/according to your star sign ?????

There is no point to second guess the inner working of a program just go and show them that you'll be the greatest resident ever. :thumbup:

Methyldopa said:
Good for you buddy...Now on to the actual topic of this thread

:rolleyes: exactly!!!! it cracks me up when folks try to not-so-slyly bring stuff like this up. good for you, buddy.

I wasn't being snotty -
And MDGONNABE IS my buddy - she knows shes the bomb anywho ;) shes gunna get whatever residency she wants :)

Poety said:
And MDGONNABE IS my buddy - she knows shes the bomb anywho ;) shes gunna get whatever residency she wants :)

i just want the program that wants me, the program where i'll "fit in," residency :love: at first sight... so in a way i'm using my question as a gauge. if a program doesn't think i'll be a "good fit" and they're waiting relatively longer to interview me, then maybe they're right. no sense in trying to make myself go somewhere where i don't belong. but then i've read a few cases here where the applicants took matters into their own hands and matched at their programs via communication with the pd's... so who knows? thankfully, my career goals seem to be solidifying lately, and i have a better feel for which schools i'd be happiest at out of all the invites i've gotten.

MD, Ramona and Poety. You're not halfway through the season. It's gonna get longer and older. I suspect you're all mad at the process, not at each other.

You're gonna have great lives and careers. Loosen up, kumbaya,can't we all get along, etc.

BKN PD

Sorry BKN, I let methyl get the best of me because I really WASN'T being snotty - and I know MDGONNABE and she knows I'm not snotty - <sigh> I just freaked out - I'll erase my post now :) <embarrassed>

Poety said:
Sorry BKN, I let methyl get the best of me because I really WASN'T being snotty - and I know MDGONNABE and she knows I'm not snotty - <sigh> I just freaked out - I'll erase my post now :) <embarrassed>

well i know you're snotty cuz it's been so friggin' COLD outside!!! :scared: ;)

ps to poety: my next one will be at your school on friday.

Poety said:
I wasn't being snotty -

Fair enough

MDgonnabe said:
well i know you're snotty cuz it's been so friggin' COLD outside!!! :scared: ;)

ps to poety: my next one will be at your school on friday.

ARRRGHH AND I'm not there hon! I'll put in a good word for you though anyway, not that you need it :p

Poety said:
I wasn't being snotty -

Ughh, get a room, you two.

You do know this website has a PM (private message) function, don't you?

:barf: