Interview invite without completed secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a med school that (according to their website) requires a secondary for the application to be reviewed just informed me that I was being invited to interview. Only strange thing is that I haven't submitted the secondary (I chose not to submit the secondary since I decided against completing my app after submitting to AMCAS).

Thought now that I have the II, I kind of feel like it might be worthwhile to go.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

So, in the last 2 days we've had a thread asking:

- Interview invite without secondary
- Acceptance without interview
- Interview while attending other med school

When will the madness end?!?

I've been on this site (mostly lurking) for a while so I totally understand the madness (which is what motivated me to make the post).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been on this site (mostly lurking) for a while so I totally understand the madness (which is what motivated me to make the post).

Oh, thank goodness you were kidding... in this case, yes you need only submit your primary application and fill out your FAFSA and your freshly printed MD degree should arrive on your doorstep in 7-12 business days.

no no I'm not kidding. I mean I understand the madness behind this strange occurrence. I'm not trolling

no no I'm not kidding. I mean I understand the madness behind this strange occurrence. I'm not trolling

:eyebrow: Ok I'll bite. There are a handful of schools that only send out secondary applications once you've been invited to interview (such as SUNY Upstate and U of North Carolina for out-of-staters...among others). Therefore, yes there are schools where you might receive an interview without filling out a secondary.

...and actually scratch SUNY Upstate from that list. They make you pay for a secondary up front, but only send out an application (with essays and stuff) post interview invite.

University of Michigan also does interview invites before secondaries are returned for applicants with high stats (called auto-invites)

:eyebrow: Ok I'll bite. There are a handful of schools that only send out secondary applications once you've been invited to interview (such as SUNY Upstate and U of North Carolina for out-of-staters...among others). Therefore, yes there are schools where you might receive an interview without filling out a secondary.

UNC does automatic interview invites for in-staters, not OOSers. I don't know if the situation the OP describes has ever actually happened, but theoretically I think it would be possible.

UTSW commonly sends out interview invites without having filled out the secondary. Some auto invite thing.

UNC does automatic interview invites for in-staters, not OOSers.

Oh, then they must do automatics for in-state and out-of-state. When I applied last year the admissions staff told me (as an OOS applicant) that only those invited for interview would receive a secondary. I wasn't sure what the policy for in-state applicants was.

Oh, then they must do automatics for in-state and out-of-state. When I applied last year the admissions staff told me (as an OOS applicant) that only those invited for interview would receive a secondary. I wasn't sure what the policy for in-state applicants was.

Hmm, it seems like it is automatic for anyone who gets a secondary then! I had only heard the in-state thing before, but honestly it makes sense if it's a global policy.

So there ya go, OP. It could happen. :)

the school is a state school and I'm an OOS applicant, but it might be the stats thing someone mentioned

From the UNC admissions website:

In-state Applicants
Between June and January we will review your application materials. We will email supplemental application materials to those students who will be considered for an interview. Because the majority of each class must be filled by North Carolina residents, the criterion for supplemental applications is more competitive for out-of-state applicants.
Out-of-State Applicants
Supplemental applications will be sent to all qualified out-of-state applicants who meet our criteria. Once we receive the supplemental application and the required fee, all materials will be reviewed and the applicant will then be considered for an interview. Those applicants selected will be contacted via email for scheduling their interviews.

So never mind that last post of mine. :D