Interview Money Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryazn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've heard back from 5 schools and have been invited to interview at each of them. My problem is with getting money to go to these interviews and plus, I haven't even heard back from most of them yet (I applied to 13 schools). How are you guys dealing with this because it is very expensive and right now I'm thinking of interviewing only at the schools that I put high priority on.

Members don't see this ad.

there's no garuntee you're going to interview where you want to. priortizie the interviews you have at this point and go from there.

So far I've heard back from 5 schools and have been invited to interview at each of them. My problem is with getting money to go to these interviews and plus, I haven't even heard back from most of them yet (I applied to 13 schools). How are you guys dealing with this because it is very expensive and right now I'm thinking of interviewing only at the schools that I put high priority on.

I know how you feel ... it sucks to be under pressure because of money. Personally, I saved up money from my current job. If possible, don't let money be an issue, unless you're sure you're going to get in. I think it's better to maximize your chances of getting in, and that might mean taking all 5 interviews. Four years from now, when you're deep in hundreds of thousands of debt, these few thousands won't mean much. :p

Members don't see this ad :)

If the schools are close by, you can call them and let them know you are going to be in the area so you can maybe get your interviews together. I did this with DMU and KCOM so that I only had to fly out once. The schools realize that it costs a lot of money and most are willing to work with you.

You should attend all interviews until you are accepted, then you can limit interviews to only those you would attend before the one you were accepted at.

Good Luck

if you're currently in school, you could also possibly increase your student loan for the semester/year, or get a private loan. another, yet less appealing option, is to use a credit card, rock the interviews, and pay it off when you get your medical student loans. another issue you'll run into is paying the hefty deposits at DO schools, which you usually can't pay using a credit card. all in all, i suggest using family resources or getting a loan. in the scheme of how much you will go in debt to become a physician, taking out a $5K loan this year won't make a huge difference, and if it's private, you can pay it back with federal loan $ (lower interest rate) once you matriculate. hope this helps!

Don't turn down interviews until you're holding a <decent> acceptance. In the grand scheme of things, "hurting" yourself with a little bit of debt is worth it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am planning on going to all of my interviews that I have been invited to so far (LECOM, LECOM-B, ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, CCOM).

One more question, is there a place to leave your bags at the school if your planning to take a flight home right after your interviews?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am planning on going to all of my interviews that I have been invited to so far (LECOM, LECOM-B, ATSU-SOMA, ATSU-KCOM, CCOM).

One more question, is there a place to leave your bags at the school if your planning to take a flight home right after your interviews?

Yes! Just talk to someone at the front desks. I've done it. I'm sure it happens all the time.

Other than loans or CC debt, you can always beg your family... I know I will if I have to, as this is so important to me that I will not let finances stand in my way, if I have to beg money on the street, I will... Get it done! I am thankful that I have some resources, but at the same time, it gets expensive to fly here/there/everywhere.... Don't limit yourself, as my friend once said, so you choose not to go to place B, but that was the place that would have accepted you... it would have been worth the xxx$$$....

To the OP: congrats on your interviews!

If you have family (or even a friend!) that travels a lot...see if they signed up for a hotel's rewards program. I received an interview invite yesterday asking me to come next Tuesday so, naturally, the airfare killed me...but then I found out my dad had enough points for a free night at the school's recommended hotel and that will definitely help keep costs down.

I've also seen plenty of interviewees leave their suitcase either with security or even in the admissions office.

Definitely checkout CCOM, KCOM, and LECOM, and perhaps even LECOM-B, unless you get interviews at DMU and KCUMB, in which case I'd drop LECOM-B.

Definitely checkout CCOM, KCOM, and LECOM, and perhaps even LECOM-B, unless you get interviews at DMU and KCUMB, in which case I'd drop LECOM-B.
nah i didn't apply to those. I haven't heard back from NYCOM, UMDNJ, PCOM, PCOM-GA, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, PCSOM, and NSUCOM. My top school is NYCOM because I want to stay close to home, its like a 30 minute drive from my house. If not that, then probably PCOM.