Interview no-shows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rivoli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - hope that interview season is going well. I've noticed that on my last few interviews there have consistently been 1-2 people who didn't bother letting the program coordinator know that that they didn't plan to attend. I know that its January and that things are wrapping up. If you don't wish to attend an interview anymore, please be courteous enough to contact the PC, so that someone on the waitlist has the possibility of interviewing.

Its really annoying to see interview spots being wasted when I'm sure there are so many people who would have loved the opportunity to interview but can't - because someone couldn't be bothered to spend 30 seconds on the phone to let the PC know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel the same way for people who dual applied IM and Uro/Optho. Once they find out if they matched, they should let the categorical programs know they do not wish to be considered anymore, hopefully giving programs an incentive to send a few more last minute IVs. Wishful thinking.

If you don't wish to attend an interview anymore, please be courteous enough to contact the PC, so that someone on the waitlist has the possibility of interviewing

Good luck with getting people to do that

Members don't see this ad :)
this is more a reflection of the med school than anything else and will hurt all future applicants. unfortunately one rotten apple can spoil the bunch, and i have heard that some programs will not invite people from XYZ med school because of such poor etiquette.

To be fair, there have been many interviews I cancelled (and received confirmation replies back)...then on the interview day at around 11am, I get a phone call saying "We missed you this morning...everything okay?"

went on my final interview today. there were supposed to be eight applicants. only three of us showed up (and this was a program that repeatedly sent out emails begging people to cancel early if they didn't plan to keep the IV date)