1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

interview @ nova, sco, pco....

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by eye_candie, Nov 16, 2005.

1. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i have my interview for nova on nov 30th (my very first one), sco dec 2 and pco all the way in jan 11th (a day after my bday:)) waiting to hear from ico. the committee is suppose to meet next week so i hope to hear from them soon. i've never been to chicago and i would love to go see what it's like. Does anybody else have interviews the same day as mine?? i want to make friends a head of time...hehe im also debating whether i should send in my application to scco. my transcript, oat score and letters of rec is already there, but it's just that i haven't written my essays yet. 3 essays is kinda a pain, plus i feel like it's kinda late to send in my app in november? i'm from florida & originally thailand so i'm not really fond of cold weather ( ok, let's just say that i'm a wimp when it comes to cold), but i guess i gotta do what i gotta do to go to a good school even if it means i'll freeze my butt off everyday...haha does anybody know when's the latest we can accept/decline the school's acceptance letter? 30 days? i'm sorry i know i ask a lot of questions, but if you can answer me it would be a great help.

thanx a lot!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JC1984

JC1984 ICO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi eyecandie,

When was your ICO interview? They met last friday (nov 11) as well.. if you had your interview before then you could always call them and find out if you're anxious :) that's what I did. My PCO interview is on Jan 20th and SCCO is on Jan 14th, but I might cancel them. My parents want me to go check out those schools, but I'm pretty much set on going to ICO... :rolleyes:

4. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    well i didn't have an interview at ico yet. i called ico this past monday and they said that the last time the committee met they haven't receive my OAT score yet so they had a note saying that they're waiting for that. i took my OAT on oct 26th (damn i should've faxed ico right away) i didn't realize that it was going to take them this long to get it since other schools seem to have gotten it quick (esp nova, they called me a week after to schedule an interview) sigh...i guess it was my fault for not faxing the score out so that they atleast see what i got before they receive the actual one from prometric. i'm really looking forward to going to chicago. i like chinatown...lol but i'm not too thrill about how cold it is up there though. wish me luck for an interview at ico* you should go check out other schools. i know ur mind is set on ico, but u should give other school a chance too:)

5. Opt4life

Opt4life Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    I had my interview at Nova two weeks ago and it was very laid back and they are very nice. I also have a interview at SCO but not unitl dec 9th a week after yours. After my interview at Nova they told me I could call in three days and find out if I got accepted and then you have three weeks to tell them if you want to accept your acceptance, if you do you have to send them a 250$ deposit. So you can still not go there, you would just be out 250$. Hope this helps

6. Dr.Perfect

Dr.Perfect Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    I had interview at IU & UAB 2 weeks ago and i haven't heard anything from them....
    So worried!!!

7. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    what kind of questions did they ask at nova? what do u think was the hardest question? i heard nova likes to ask what was the last book u read.....lol r u from florida opt4life?

8. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    where is IU and UAB? have u tried calling them Dr. Perfect?

9. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    IU = Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.
    UAB = University of Alabama at Birmingham

10. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    thanx prettygreeneyes...now i feel dumb :laugh:

11. prettygreeneyes

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Don't feel dumb at all... consider it your initiation in a medical field FULL of abbreviations and acronyms! It took me a while to figure out all the schools abbreviations too. :D

12. Opt4life

Opt4life Junior Member

Pre-Optometry

The interview was really easy, it lasted about 20 minutes and they asked me basic question llike what are my strengths and weekness and why I want to be an optometrist. The hardest question they asked me was probably "once you become an Opmetrist how do you plan on giving back to the field of Optometry?", and they asked me a situational question like if I had a patient that was going blind and they didn't know, how would I tell them. yeah I'm from Florida

13. Dr.Perfect

Dr.Perfect Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    Yeah, actually i have. Indiana Univ admission committe will meet on the 30th of this month..... and UAB i think is still waiting on state residency certification. I am trying to get a contract position there (Univ. of AL)...and they only accept like 2 or 3 students from my state so.....the competition is pretty stiff. Good luck to me. :oops:

14. Dr.Perfect

Dr.Perfect Junior Member

Pre-Optometry

Well, i interviewed at SCO. The people there were extremely nice and friendly. The interview was one on one and really laid back. Memphis was great too. Don't know anything about chicago though, sorry. Too cold for me. :D

15. 3eb4me

3eb4me Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

How many of you used rental cars versus taxi's from the airport? I am only 21, so they are going to add on the 'maturity' fee :mad: to my car rental in Memphis. I don't know if it's worth it to rent a car or just take a cab. I would like to explore the city with freedom, so I might just pay the fee.

16. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    hi,

well, i'm not really sure. my family and i are going up to memphis nov 30th, but we're driving there. if you're planning to go to many places and don't mind driving (or your not always lost like me :D ) it might be worth it to rent a car so that you can go wherever and whenever you want. i hope someone else can be more help than me. sorry

17. TPMOH

TPMOH Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious, how did NOVA fare from the destruction of hurricane Wilma? Did the campus get much damage?

18. eye_candie

eye_candie eye_candie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i went for an interview there last week and they seemed fine.

19. gsinccom

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    my brother goes to dental school at Nova and lives a mile from campus and me and my wife were there last week for her work and visited them. there are a lot of trees uprooted still around the campus and some business signs around the area are still down or missing letters. the campus facilities themselves are doing fine! best wishes