Interview Offer Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENT101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MSIV planning to apply for ENT, but had a quick question. Can any recent applicants comment on how early the offers start coming in and if there's any truth to the stories I'm hearing concerning the need to respond to the offers almost immediately to secure a spot?

I'm mainly asking because I want to know when I should transition to a cell phone with email capabilities. Was going to wait for the iPhone 5, but may need to take the plunge earlier =(

Members don't see this ad.

Current MSIV planning to apply for ENT, but had a quick question. Can any recent applicants comment on how early the offers start coming in and if there's any truth to the stories I'm hearing concerning the need to respond to the offers almost immediately to secure a spot?

I'm mainly asking because I want to know when I should transition to a cell phone with email capabilities. Was going to wait for the iPhone 5, but may need to take the plunge earlier =(

I applied on 9/1 to a ton of places and got my first interview on 9/22. Most rolled in later, with some not coming until January. There was a week or 2 in November where I got a bunch at once.

Yes, you need to respond quickly because it is true that SOME programs offer more interviews than spots. Definitely set up a notification system, like get your phone to beep whenever something from NMRP or that says "noreply" or "otolaryngology" in it...that's what I did, and didn't miss one.

Not all programs offer more than available. Some will tell you "first come first serve" in the email, some will say "respond by."

Be smart with what dates you pick if you are given a choice. Look back at last years calendar and you will see that the first weekends in Dec and before Christmas week, as well as the first weekend after New Years, are the most popular. Early on, if given the choice between a weekend and a weekday, pick the weekday. They are much less popular dates, and you will likely have interviews on every weekend, so you can try to string some interviews together to save money.

Good luck,
G

Agree with above. It is 100% true that some programs give more offers than spots. You don't know who they are and you don't want to find out so just be wise and respond the same day. Don't think it is so crazy that you have to respond within the hour or anything but you shouldn't leave an offer hanging in the breeze for days.