Interview = One foot in the door?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfizerguyy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not really a "Do I have my foot in the door if I have an interview already?!" thread..it's more of a "discussion" if you would between us fellow SDN members about this whole assumption that you have one foot in the door if you get an interview.

I personally believe that you do NOT have one foot in the door if you get an interview, but I do think it helps quite a bit. You obviously received the interview because your grades/pcat/extra-cir. activities met the schools requirements. But now what?

Do you think that if you wow them they will accept us without looking back over our grades/pcat/extra-cir.? Or do they look over your grades/pcat/extra-cir over again AND add your interview into the mix then decide on your acceptance or rejection.

Basically, some believe that since you got your interview, your grades now do not matter anymore. And I just don't really see that as being plausible.

What is everyone's view on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Er...I think it is fair to assume that they look at the whole package, so to speak. Getting an interview means you didn't totally suck and gives you the opportunity to talk about additional strengths, traits, etc that you have that would make you a good "fit" for the school. So, I guess, in a way, (at least IMO) it is like having one foot in the door. NOT getting an interview = door slammed in face or not answered at all. Interview = door answered but kept ajar with the little chain thing. lol sort of

This is not really a "Do I have my foot in the door if I have an interview already?!" thread..it's more of a "discussion" if you would between us fellow SDN members about this whole assumption that you have one foot in the door if you get an interview.

I personally believe that you do NOT have one foot in the door if you get an interview, but I do think it helps quite a bit. You obviously received the interview because your grades/pcat/extra-cir. activities met the schools requirements. But now what?

Do you think that if you wow them they will accept us without looking back over our grades/pcat/extra-cir.? Or do they look over your grades/pcat/extra-cir over again AND add your interview into the mix then decide on your acceptance or rejection.

Basically, some believe that since you got your interview, your grades now do not matter anymore. And I just don't really see that as being plausible.

What is everyone's view on this?

I believe it really depends on the school, some schools interview a lot of people (400 or so) for about a 100 seats so 1:4 chance, where as some other schools like the one I got accepted into only interviews about 160 or so people for 90 seats so better an 1:2 chance to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of my interviews stated it was everything on my application that got me to the interview and it would be the interview that decided who made it and who didn't.

Three of my interviews stated they would look at everything collectively and make a decision from that.

Two of my interviews stated it was everything on my application that got me to the interview and it would be the interview that decided who made it and who didn't.

Three of my interviews stated they would look at everything collectively and make a decision from that.
QFT.

Some of my interviews were open file and some closed file. I've also heard from an adcom that even before an interview, depending on a person's stats, they already know who is "very likely" to get in as long as they don't completely blow their interview and how another person's status of getting in or waitlisted hinges on their interview.

Over 100,000 people took the PCAT last year. Assume they all want interviews. You are half-way there with an interview. Anything they are concerned about you can speak to in person.

I just like to think of it this way.

If 5,000 apply and 200 get interviews, then for applying, you have half a toe in the door for just applying.

Once you receive an interview invitation 200 out of the 105 seats, then you have a foot in the door. You just have to drop kick one other person to get that other foot in.

as the other poster mentioned, it will probably vary greatly by school

Interesting question - maybe there are a few schools out there that can afford the time and effort to interview everyone. But that is costly.

So I think you do have your foot in the door AND you need to keep up the hard work. From the feedback I got from Madison, for the past two years they have begun pre-screening applicants for the interview phase. In other words, they check application for the academics/ essays/ volunteer/ extra circ/ work experience and then decided whether or not to interview you. Previously they did not have this extra screening step, so it's gotten a bit more competitive. So yes, that interview means something.

But at the interview you have to perform reasonably well on the in-person essay (did you really write all application essays or did you get so much help it is no longer in your own voice?) and can you articulate why you want this profession.

Then when that is over they review all aspects of your applicaton again. Offer letters usually have a requirement that you finish your pre-reqs with a minimum gpa.
But really, if you've worked this hard already is it really in your nature to slack off?

My school goes by a point system. There are 60 points in total and 40 of them come from the interview. So yes, they do look at your stats but when 2/3rds of your points come from the interview, it really is a make or break situation.

I am currently 3 for 3 in getting accepted when I have an interview. I do not have gaudy stats on my application, so I'd like to think it plays an important role. :thumbup: