DeeDebussey

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
I'm in the process of preparing for a vet school interview @ UIUC (behavioral-style). anyone have any suggestions for good websites that give preparation tips, etc.?
thanks!

CoffeeCrazy

Wide awake and jittery
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Champaign, IL
Status
I just did a search for behavior style interviews... and I came up with this link, which is pretty good. There were some other reports through AVMA? that I remember looking at when I was applying... lost the link but if you search the web for info on schools that changed their admissions policy (Minnesota, IL, etc.) then you might be able to find it. The article described the qualities that the schools were looking for.

http://www.mcmcse.com/articles/behavior.shtml

chris03333

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
CoffeeCrazy said:
I just did a search for behavior style interviews... and I came up with this link, which is pretty good. There were some other reports through AVMA? that I remember looking at when I was applying... lost the link but if you search the web for info on schools that changed their admissions policy (Minnesota, IL, etc.) then you might be able to find it. The article described the qualities that the schools were looking for.

http://www.mcmcse.com/articles/behavior.shtml
That website has pretty good description of behavioral interview questions. There honestly is no way to prepare for a behavioral interview. They will ask a lot of "tell me about a time in your life when(situation) happened. What did you learn from that, what if anything would you change?" These questions get pretty specific to you so there is really no way to "prepare" for them.

Julia22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
chris03333 said:
That website has pretty good description of behavioral interview questions. There honestly is no way to prepare for a behavioral interview. They will ask a lot of "tell me about a time in your life when(situation) happened. What did you learn from that, what if anything would you change?" These questions get pretty specific to you so there is really no way to "prepare" for them.
speaking of prepping for interviews - i have mine at tufts next week and am wondering what questions i should ask them!!!!! does anyone have suggestions, ideas, advice??? please tell me!
thanks a bunch!

2quick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Status
Veterinarian
Julia22 said:
speaking of prepping for interviews - i have mine at tufts next week and am wondering what questions i should ask them!!!!! does anyone have suggestions, ideas, advice??? please tell me!
thanks a bunch!
I think a good generic question to ask the interviewers is what it is they feel the greatest weakness of the school is, or if there's a reason they would not come there if they were applying and subsequently accepted. Some interviewers will answer more honestly than others, but regardless, I feel it helps make you seem engaged in the interview/application process. Now, obviously you don't want to come off as too sure of yourself :), but if you ask humbly, you might be surprised by your answer.

Asking about the surrounding area in terms of student life is also an easy one.

It would certainly be a good idea to ask about a specific fact(s) regarding the school (i.e. hospital caseload, success of graduates with the boards, etc...) to show that you're interested enough in the place to have put in some research time. Most of that sort of info. should be on the school's website.

Hope this helps a bit,
Andrew

OP
D

DeeDebussey

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Thanks everybody! That helps a lot! any other suggestions are certainly welcome!

chris03333

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
One thing to remember is to say thank you to the interviewers when all is said and done. You would be amazed how much a simple thank you for your time is appreciated.

2quick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Status
Veterinarian
chris03333 said:
One thing to remember is to say thank you to the interviewers when all is said and done. You would be amazed how much a simple thank you for your time is appreciated.
Yup, very important. How about handshakes with panel interviews? I mean, if it's only one or two intervierwers it's a no brainer, but what if there are a few of them already sitting down when you enter a room? My feeling is that if they stand to greet you, go for the handshakes, but if they remain seated, just sit down also with a nice greeting. How about just a handshake at the end?
Andrew

Julia22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
2quick said:
Yup, very important. How about handshakes with panel interviews? I mean, if it's only one or two intervierwers it's a no brainer, but what if there are a few of them already sitting down when you enter a room? My feeling is that if they stand to greet you, go for the handshakes, but if they remain seated, just sit down also with a nice greeting. How about just a handshake at the end?
Andrew
do the handshake!!! even if theyre seated - go up to them at the end - - its appropriate for you to extend your hand - - i was a lawyer for 10+ years and did a lot of firing squads (panel interviews), on both sides of the table - - and if you take the handshake initiative, without hesitation, it looks good.

2quick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Status
Veterinarian
Julia22 said:
do the handshake!!! even if theyre seated - go up to them at the end - - its appropriate for you to extend your hand - - i was a lawyer for 10+ years and did a lot of firing squads (panel interviews), on both sides of the table - - and if you take the handshake initiative, without hesitation, it looks good.
Thanks for the advice! So you would go for a handshake at the beginning and the end, or just the end? I'm a big handshaker, so I don't mind, I just don't want to be over-the-top, if that's even possible.
Andrew

Darla3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
2quick said:
Thanks for the advice! So you would go for a handshake at the beginning and the end, or just the end? I'm a big handshaker, so I don't mind, I just don't want to be over-the-top, if that's even possible.
Andrew

Haha, you guys are silly. :p Congrats to everyone getting acceptances and interviews :) By the way....the Tufts interview is NOT behavioral, right?

Julia22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
2quick said:
Andrew
I Would go for both - but if its awkward b/c of seating, then just save it till the end - - but make the effort at the end, regardless!