Interview prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie.teacher

Baylor 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through possible interview questions and my least favorite is "So, tell me about yourself." :thumbdown: How do you answer this question? Do I give a brief bio, a character sketch, what I'm up to right now? I mean, come on, most people can go on an on about themselves. Where do I begin and where do I end? Do I just hope we start a bit of conversation as I go? :confused: Such a silly question. I told them about myself on my application and personal statement. I guess this is my chance to fill in the gaps? Geez. Any help is appreciated from those who have had to answer this stupid question before :)

Members don't see this ad.

I completely agree with you. During my first mock interview, I was asked that question. I completely bombed on it because I really was unprepared and ended up repeating things that were already mentioned in my portfolio. Also the dreaded, "how would your friends describe you?" is apparently a common question.

My advisor gave me some decent advice. Don't repeat your resume or anything that is already mentioned in your PS. Chances are, you couldn't fit your entire persona on that one piece of paper, so make that known.

Elaborate on things you couldn't touch on in the PS or things that you wanted to explain deeper. Try to emphasize the big things that make you unique - or will make you stand out. Mention important qualities as opposed to hobbies/academic achievements (eg. organized, even-tempered, good people skills, ectera). Mention why you think you have those qualities.

I think the biggest help is practice interviews. I have done a few already, but plan on doing one extra per every real interview I hopefully receive. If you can't find a professional to do it, just give a friend the list of questions and try it out. Or even have that friend get someone you don't know to interview you. Take it seriously, dress like you would for the real deal, meet somewhere unfamiliar. Anything to take you out of your comfort zone.

Just like anything else, practice really pays off.

Good luck!

Thanks, Chrono, that was really helpful! BTW, my cats are EXACTLY like yours in you avatar. Color, fighting, everything :)

Members don't see this ad :)
With a question like this, you can't tell what the interviewer wants to know. Is the interviewer asking about what makes you unique? Is he or she asking about your background, your hobbies, or your scholastic scores and community service? who knows.

I err on the side of making myself out to be a human being with more interests in life than organic chemistry grades and crown prep angles. I tell them about my hobbies and interests. I tell them a little about my family. I tell them about where I've lived, what I did in school besides study science, and all that good stuff. If I'm wrong and all they want is me to list my dental related volunteer experiences and grades for them, then they have plenty of time to ask me those specific questions again. If I'm wrong and they wanted me to explain why I was interested in dentistry, then they will probably ask that later too. By the time I figure I'm at an interview...they will have already selected me out of several hundred other applicants because my stats were good enough to them, so I figure they want to know about the person beyond that.

I had this question and the "How would friends describe you?" question.

I just gave a bio of myself...the interviewer asked me some follow up questions on some of the stuff I said. I actually thought I rambled on for a bit but the interviewer didn't seem to mind. :D

But as mentioned, don't repeat stuff that is on your application unless it is important and you want to give more detail into it.

I would say don't even prepare. Walk in with it in your heart that you are determined to get this spot. When they start asking you questions, simply let your mind roll off your tongue. I guess if it was to be, then you will do alright. If it wasn't, then your fake prepared answers will show that it wasn't your spot.

This question is very open ended. You can pretty much talk about anything you want, although keep in mind, you are at a dental school interview. I don't think they want to hear about your pets or your family (unless you have family members who are dentists). This question gives you the opportunity to steer the conversation towards an area of your application that is your strongest. Say a few phrases, and then ask if the interviewer would like for you to continue. If they say yes, keep going, otherwise stop because you'll probably end up boring them if you ramble on too much. :)

aggie.teacher...r u the first one to get interview for 2007 cycle??? wow...congrats btw for interview...

Thanks!! I know of at least one other on SDN with a Texas interview....Texas starts early!!! San Antonio sent out letters first and now Baylor...haven't heard from them yet, though.... ;)

1FutureDDS said:
I would say don't even prepare. Walk in with it in your heart that you are determined to get this spot. When they start asking you questions, simply let your mind roll off your tongue. I guess if it was to be, then you will do alright. If it wasn't, then your fake prepared answers will show that it wasn't your spot.

I agree, you will probably be pretty nervous so just try and retain your composure and keep your confidence up at all times. I wouldn't prepare and I certainly did not when I interviewed last year, just do a little research on the school you have applied to, if you haven't already done so. You should know why you want to be a dentist, and if your reasons are strictly monetary, don't let them know this. They will always ask you why you chose dentistry. I think it is pretty lame for an interviewer to ask someone about themselves after you've submitted a lengthy application detailing the entire past four years of your life - and then some (personal statement). Just try and be yourself, if you've made the interview, than you can bet you are in for the picking, so try your best to relax and just enjoy the experience. Cheesey as it is, that is the best advice I can give.

Take a negative trait in a positive manner, for instance take stubborn well use it with a positive twist, determined, eager, motivated...

No one is perfect but to understand your flaws and use them to your advantage is everything in an interview even for a real job.

Always know something about the places you are going to apply. History of the location, the school and the culture. These guys are looking to see if you are well prepared for the interview and never underestimate positive small talk. Never give them too much but, be prepared.

I think the "tell me about yourself question" is just an opener to try and get you to relax and start talking.

When I interviewed, I used the SDN Interview feedback site. Before each interview I made a list of all the questions asked in the last 3 years at that school. I then thought about my answers and made bullet points to highlight the different points of my response.

Example: Tell me about yourself?
-Graduated x and studied z
-Changing life experience
-Decided on dentistry due to
+Experience A
+Experience B
-Hobbies and interests
+ How they relate to dentistry (manuel dexterity, running a small buisness, working/leading team)

I felt like this gave me a chance to think about what I wanted to tell them without creating a rehearsed speech. Also by looking at the past questions I got a general feel for what the basic questions are: Tell me about yourself? Why dentistry? Why this school? as well as school specific questions that might have caught me off guard. One school asked if I was making a radio ad for my dental practice how would I want it to sound. I have to say that when they asked that question, I was very excited to have some prep time thinking about my answer so I did not sit there and say "aahh" and "uhhmm" for two minutes.

Also when they ask the tell my about yourself questions, don't expect that they have your PS memorized. I think several of my interviews had only looked at my file for a few minutes before interviewing me so I really did have to reiterate a lot of what my PS said.

Most important, remember that the interviews are just trying to get to know you and for the most part are not trying to stress you out. Relax, smile, and enjoy the conversation. Good luck!!