interview prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people that have been on interviews - how did you prepare if you even did? I was totally going to wing it but now I am afraid that I might should think about it a little more. Also am I expected to go on hour long campus tours in heels???

Members don't see this ad.

GTchick,

Bring some other shoes for the tour -- and they typically won't last an hour either.

I winged my interview for the most part, although I always tend to keep myself current with events in the profession as well as world and national news events (when worse comes to worse, these are great conversation pieces).

Spend an hour looking at the school's webpage and reading any literature they might have sent you. Research the city you are going to also. In the interview, be proactive and ask some questions that you have though of beforehand (and don't feel that you have to rely on the typical questions. Interviewers probably are sick of hearing about board scores, etc.).

Ask how the school is involved in the community, what feedback the community has given to the school, what life experiences are unique to the dental school, and how these experiences are woven into the curriculum, etc. etc.

Good luck!

to GTChick:

What I did before my dental school interviews:

1) get a GOOD night's sleep. Nothing makes you edgier in the morning than lack of sleep.

2) dress well to impress, but dress light-- Don't wear something heavy like an expensive sweater or tailored wool suit. Choose good-looking, professional clothing made of light material. Got to compensate for that "is it hot in here or what?" syndrome in the interview room. :D Comes in handy for the campus tour too. Never let them see you sweat.

3) As Gavin said, don't squander the opportunity to impress the interviewer when they ask you, "any questions?" Be proactive.

4) Be prepared to answer some of the more obvious questions.

Worked for me, obviously.. :laugh:

Good luck!

Dress appropriately. First impressions are a HUGE deal.

Appear confident....but RELAXED. Remember, they are looking for people skills. As important as your DAT and GPA!

A faculty member at a dental school once told me that it's OK to hesitate a *little* when asked a tough question, or one that you don't know the answer to. It's better to take a deep breath, and think calmly about your answer. The alternative would be to rattle on and on incoherently......although no matter how hard I tried to relax in my interview, I DID chatter nervously a couple of times!

Also......give yourself a break. Get some sleep, take deep breaths....you can do it.