interview preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so im totally clueless about what im supposed to be doing to prepare for interviews. i have an interview at umich on saturday! :eek: and ive been so bogged down with classes that i havent prepared for it at all! how long are ppl preparing for their interviews? is like 3 days enough? and what am i supposed to even do besides looking at my app and their website?? help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I assume this is your first. Just go through the michigan interview feedback on SDN so you have some idea of what to expect. Make sure you have some idea about answers to common question: Why medicine? Greatest Weakness? Biggest problem in healthcare? etc.
Don't have to have a rehearsed word for word deal, but at least know what your ideas are.

Other than that just relax as much as you can. Most interviews have an easygoing feel to them.

I dont prepare for them. Look nice. Be courteous and respectful. Show that you want to learn. Read up on your app and on their school and prepare a couple of questions to ask the interviewers at the end. I am going into mine basically clueless (my last one went well and it was a pretty high stress one) except reading about the school and reviewing my apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 day is definetly enough. What I did was go through their website and type out notes on what they overall mission is, what kind of students they look for, and any aspects of the school unique to it. So when they ask you what you know about UMich, you can tell them authoratively. Also, I looked at last 30-40 entries on Interview Feedback on SDN, and I copied questions that were usually asked. Not that his would help too much, but its a start. Also, i typed out (lol, i loike to type) a list of questions that i would like to ask my interview. And I styled my questions like this 4th medical school student suggested in the following thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=104541&page=1&pp=25

Good luck!!!

I dont prepare for them. Look nice. Be courteous and respectful. Show that you want to learn. Read up on your app and on their school and prepare a couple of questions to ask the interviewers at the end. I am going into mine basically clueless (my last one went well and it was a pretty high stress one) except reading about the school and reviewing my apps.

The battle is won before it is ever fought - Sun Tzu

PREPARE!!!

I would suggest knowing something about the curriculum. Secondly, all my interviews have asked in one way or another what qualities would I bring to the school. Lastly, if you have some weak points to your academic record, practice telling a concise explanation that is followed up with a positive outcome...

ok so im totally clueless about what im supposed to be doing to prepare for interviews. i have an interview at umich on saturday! :eek: and ive been so bogged down with classes that i havent prepared for it at all! how long are ppl preparing for their interviews? is like 3 days enough? and what am i supposed to even do besides looking at my app and their website?? help!!!

I just posted a brand new Student Doctor Network Podcast on Preparing for Your Medical School Interview and Some Things to Anticipate on Interview Day. You can listen to this 18-minute presentation here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=322019
Just click on "Listen to it here". This is the Main Topic of SDN Podcast #2 which is discussed after the Quick Tip.

Student Doctor Network Podcast #1 (also under the same forum) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=194 gives a Quick Tip on how to Organize for your Medical School Interview in addition to outlining some of the new changes in the MCAT.

You can download them and listen on your MP3 player while you are working out or on the plane.

Hope these are helpful as more Podcasts are coming up weekly.

I just posted a brand new Student Doctor Network Podcast on Preparing for Your Medical School Interview and Some Things to Anticipate on Interview Day. You can listen to this 18-minute presentation here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=322019
Just click on "Listen to it here". This is the Main Topic of SDN Podcast #2 which is discussed after the Quick Tip.

Student Doctor Network Podcast #1 (also under the same forum) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=194 gives a Quick Tip on how to Organize for your Medical School Interview in addition to outlining some of the new changes in the MCAT.

You can download them and listen on your MP3 player while you are working out or on the plane.

Hope these are helpful as more Podcasts are coming up weekly.

:thumbup:

also, check out qofquiminica's recent post in the nontraditional forum. she gives her approach to preparing.