Interview presentation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrspharmd2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview for a PGY1 residency program and they want a 10 minute presentations about myself. What are some essential things that should be included in this presentation ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview for a PGY1 residency program and they want a 10 minute presentations about myself. What are some essential things that should be included in this presentation ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Think of this as a way to express your answer to "Tell me about yourself" or "Give me your elevator pitch" in slide format.

My strategy for this is always the same although keep in mind this is only what I have found works for me. Stay in your time limit (whether its 30 seconds or 10 minutes in this case). The time frame only allows you to say less or more (AKA expand/provide more examples). Template for me is always the same.

1. Use their directions
What do they want you to say? If they have given you instructions, follow it. Now go to 2
If no instructions were given, skip to 2.

2. Introduction
**Who are you? First name, last name, where are you from, where you did your pharmacy training. Do you have relevant certifications or other degrees? For example, master in business admin, MPH, etc etc. I wouldn't go in special with yeah got that BS in chemistry.

**3-4 points you are going to cover (My 3 examples are A. Pharmacy Interest, B. A Pharmacy Experience, C. What I want them to know about me outside of pharmacy

3. Body (This is specific to my intro, adapt to fit your 3-4 points)
** Point 1 - Why are you interested in [pharmacy interest]
** Point 2 - Sometimes integrated with point 1. What about your [pharmacy experience] brought you here to this residency or made you interested in [pharmacy interest]
** Point 3 - What's unique about you - includes [what I want them to know about me outside of pharmacy]

4. Conclude
** Summarize (briefly) Points 1-3 or a combination of 2 of them AND
** How does it apply to the residency you are going for AND
** What your long/short term goals are AND
** Thank you for the consideration AND
** What questions do you have for me?

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
My last job required a non Pharmacy-related presentation.

We used it to get to know you as a person, and hopefully you will be less nervous

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Think of this as a way to express your answer to "Tell me about yourself" or "Give me your elevator pitch" in slide format.

My strategy for this is always the same although keep in mind this is only what I have found works for me. Stay in your time limit (whether its 30 seconds or 10 minutes in this case). The time frame only allows you to say less or more (AKA expand/provide more examples). Template for me is always the same.

1. Use their directions
What do they want you to say? If they have given you instructions, follow it. Now go to 2
If no instructions were given, skip to 2.

2. Introduction
**Who are you? First name, last name, where are you from, where you did your pharmacy training. Do you have relevant certifications or other degrees? For example, master in business admin, MPH, etc etc. I wouldn't go in special with yeah got that BS in chemistry.

**3-4 points you are going to cover (My 3 examples are A. Pharmacy Interest, B. A Pharmacy Experience, C. What I want them to know about me outside of pharmacy

3. Body (This is specific to my intro, adapt to fit your 3-4 points)
** Point 1 - Why are you interested in [pharmacy interest]
** Point 2 - Sometimes integrated with point 1. What about your [pharmacy experience] brought you here to this residency or made you interested in [pharmacy interest]
** Point 3 - What's unique about you - includes [what I want them to know about me outside of pharmacy]

4. Conclude
** Summarize (briefly) Points 1-3 or a combination of 2 of them AND
** How does it apply to the residency you are going for AND
** What your long/short term goals are AND
** Thank you for the consideration AND
** What questions do you have for me?

Good luck

My last job required a non Pharmacy-related presentation.

We used it to get to know you as a person, and hopefully you will be less

Thank you guys for the help. Really appreciate it