Lacking Publication/Presentation Effect on Residency Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okaytran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interest: PGY1 Acute Care

I've had bad luck with my research. I was in a wetlab and also am a part of a clinical project right now. But due to the pitfalls of research (data coming out bad, project aims changing), I won't have any publications and will not be able to present any information at conferences. How much does this hurt me?

Otherwise decent stats for application: Fine GPA, Wet lab research, Clinical Research, Student Leadership, LORs lined up. Lacking in publication/presentation and an internship.

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine. Just apply broadly (i.e. not just the top hospitals).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have data you should be able to pull together some kind of abstract and poster for ASHP. The standards to present at this conference are extremely low. Even if the data shows nothing useful scientifically (which is most posters at mid year), it will at least be something on your CV.

Last edited:
Also just read your other qualifications. The thing that will actually hurt you more is not that you don't have a publication, but that you didn't have a job during pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 users
it's called REsearch for a reason, not every project goes perfectly well. If anything this may be a more positive thing for you to speak to, as your ability to handle the problems with your project may come in handy during residency. best of luck!