Interview Q's: If not dentistry then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stacker

n = 1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been contemplating my recent interview and I recall this one particular question: If you couldn't get into dental school, then what profession would you pursue? It was something along these lines. I said "PhD." The interviewer sort of hinted that that was a bad answer and remarked that that was the first time anyone ever said that. Now I'm wondering if what I said was wrong. Is there even a right answer to this? Are they thinking of a profession that is clinically related like medicine where you directly interact with patients?
I would have said medicine but I figured that if I couldn't get into dental school, what chance would I have for medical school so I logically narrowed the choice down to PhD.
Is there an answer that they are expecting for from paradigm applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Who knows what the interviewer was looking for. You answered honestly and I think that is a good way to answer. Plus, there is nothing wrong with getting a PhD, especially if that is what you're truly interested in. I have yet to be asked this question, but I would honestly say that I would pursue a medical profession. Ya, if you can't get into dental school then it's going to be hard to get into medical school, but I would still try anyways :)l

Maybe because getting a Ph.D isn't a profession? If not that then I think it's a perfectl legitimate answer. Not sure what the interviewer could've been looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
You said you 'narrowed the choice down to PhD', but if you didn't say PhD in ....... then you didn't narrow anything down. You can get a PhD in about any field you can imagine, so you didn't answer the question.

Maybe interviewees typically respond with another dental-related profession.

A PhD in what? Leading to a career as what? I'm guessing you're not giving us your full answer.

If you want to be remembered, you could always just say that Channing Tatum inspired you in his latest film to pursue a career as a male stripper. :D

I'm sure your answer was perfectly fine. Sometimes with interviewers, you can't ever really know what they wanted!

I probably would have answered something like...

"If there was some circumstance that prevented me from being a dentist, or if dentistry didn't exist as a profession, I would turn to my next favorite interest. This would probably be an airline pilot. I think I would enjoy seeing the world from this unique perspective and helping others get to where they need to be in their lives. I think it's important to do what we love, and aviation has always interested me. That said, dentistry is still my number one desired career choice."

But that's just me. Who knows. The interviewer might give me bad marks on that question. Maybe they're looking for "I can't see myself doing anything else other than dentistry". I, however, prefer honesty. If I had missing fingers or dentistry didn't exist, I seriously would probably be looking to become a pilot, haha. But that's not the case, so...

So I've been contemplating my recent interview and I recall this one particular question: If you couldn't get into dental school, then what profession would you pursue? It was something along these lines. I said "PhD." The interviewer sort of hinted that that was a bad answer and remarked that that was the first time anyone ever said that. Now I'm wondering if what I said was wrong. Is there even a right answer to this? Are they thinking of a profession that is clinically related like medicine where you directly interact with patients?
I would have said medicine but I figured that if I couldn't get into dental school, what chance would I have for medical school so I logically narrowed the choice down to PhD.

In my opinion, the point of this question is to test your persistence and conviction.
Even after they say what other profession ? Come back with Dentistry as your
answer; which means; if you don't let me in this year, you'll be seeing my application again next year. If they press you for another answer you could say something like "I'd pursue general surgery, because I love science and working with my hands." Note, loving science
and working w/ your hands works well in dentistry too.
Hindsight's always 20/20, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Hope this helps.....Good luck! :woot:

Its anybodies guess on what the adcom was looking for... however, like most interview questions, it's not your answer that matters most, but rather, how you say it.

Were you confident, articulate, detailed and passionate about your response? Or did the interviewer catch you off guard and you just rambled out the first thing that came to your mind?

Any answer is good if you are honest and confident about it... the confidence sells the answer to any interview question... not the answer itself.

I personally want to go into dentistry to help children and adults with special needs, so I would say that I still would want to work with this population and maybe do something like occupational therapy. That would combine helping people and also working with my hands.

I personally want to go into dentistry to help children and adults with special needs, so I would say that I still would want to work with this population and maybe do something like occupational therapy. That would combine helping people and also working with my hands.

get ready to defend your answer since some interviewers may argue back that being in medicine could also help ppl in need. substantiate your claim a bit or elaborate on why. I haven't had an interviewer counter my answer but its good to be ready for this particular moment.

you can be anything to help ppl but particular why dentistry? Out of all the health professions, why dentistry? See what i Mean?

my friend said that every time you make a claim, be ready to tell a story or else our stories will never be credible. Sorry if im bashing on your story but I want to help you be EXTRA ready if you were being attacked

Hey thanks for the advice, The second part of my answer involves my brother (with special needs) experience with dentistry, and that's basically all of my personal statement as well.

I answer interview questions in my sleep :x

I think we all dream about the interview questions. We blame SDN for that

I don't honestly believe there is a correct answer to such a question.

Perhaps they are looking to see how you would answer the question instead rather than what the answer is. Do you fumble through it or not.

I mean, at some point reality has to set in. Each person has to do what is best themselves and their family. Sometimes that might mean walking away. You can't reapply forever.

The answer they were looking for was "there is no other option, dental school is where I belong, & I won't give up until I get in"

What if the professor who interviewed you was "just a PhD"; if that were the case, then he probably didn't take to kindly to seeing a career in academia as a backup. :laugh:

The answer they were looking for was "there is no other option, dental school is where I belong, & I won't give up until I get in"

You're totally right! I would have liked that answer if I was on the committee.

I said I would teach since I loved my undergrad major so much and I was a 3x TA. they loved that answer.