Interview Question About Healthcare Reform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splendanator

ForSparta
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up soon, and I was wondering what types of questions to expect about healthcare reform. Additionally, it seems that too many news agencies present a biased view of the topic. Does anyone know of any place where I can get a better, unbiased feel for 1) The issues 2) What that huge bill contained 3) Current state of healthcare reform?

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview coming up soon, and I was wondering what types of questions to expect about healthcare reform. Additionally, it seems that too many news agencies present a biased view of the topic. Does anyone know of any place where I can get a better, unbiased feel for 1) The issues 2) What that huge bill contained 3) Current state of healthcare reform?

Thanks very much!

I haven't found any information that is unbiased, but even the law makers don't know the effect that the bill will have since so much of the policy changes will be decided by the numerous boards and panels that were formed.

I think it is extremely important for medical students to study the relevant issues and form well-reasoned opinions on the various issues. It is more than a little unsettling to be in the training process and listen to people who have no ties to the industry to dictate how medicine should be conducted.

Regarding interview questions. I expected tons of questions on medical ethics issues and political topics. 8 interviews and I didn't have a single question. After talking to multiple people who conduct interviews, I get the feeling that hot button issues like that are generally avoided. If they do ask, it will be a more general question.

"What do you feel a doctor's duties to society are" verses "How do you think the new health care law will affect your practice"?

Nevertheless, always be prepared. Whatever your opinion. Make sure you can articulate it clearly and reasonably. Never criticize or use derogatory comments toward the opposing side because you never know what side of the issue your interviewer is on. Remember that the goal is for you to demonstrate that you have thought about the issues, not to think the "right" (or left) things.

As stated above, it is probably impossible to find an unbiased source (and we'll avoid getting into the philosophical argument whether a truly unbiased account is possible or not). In any event, its good enough to know the basics of the PPACA (finding out what the "PPACA" is would be a good place to start...) and Wikipedia does a great job of breaking it down.

I think the best way to deal with these questions is to talk about the pros and cons about each aspect presented. Again, as seelee suggested, it is unlikely that an applicant can really comment on what ought to be done in a truly confident manner, as honestly, no one really can know right now how things will turn out. It might be useful to suggest one side, while explaining you understand the argument presented on the other side and can weigh both.

In summary, understand the basics of the healthcare bill, two or three of the biggest problems in healthcare today, and a couple arguments for or against a certain provision and that's reasonable enough for just about anyone IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will let you pick what you think the "problem" is with the current healthcare system. When you given your answer, please be specific: what is the issue, why is the current system unable to address the issue, what is your proposed solution, how would you fund/implement this solution? The most annoying applicant answers are the ones about "universal coverage" without a good answer for why it is superior or how it can be implemented

Thank you so much for all of your replies! You all have been very helpful!