Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Interview Question Response

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TPBC, Apr 9, 2007.

1. TPBC

TPBC Member

Hi,
    I have an interview coming up. What are some good responses to the frequently asked question, "What would you like us to pass on to the admissions committee on your behalf?"
    Thanks for you comments.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member

Medical Student
    You sure this is frequently asked?

4. Lorienne7

Lorienne7 Austenophile

Pre-Medical
    I actually did get this question quite a few times. Essentially, I would sum up my strengths and sort of expand on why those personal qualities/experiences/interests would make me a great future med student at this particular school. After all, your ultimate goal is to give the adcom a compelling reason to accept you out of all the thousands of great applicants they get, so reminding them of your unique strengths is a way to distinguish yourself from the crowd in a positive way.

5. jsnuka

jsnuka Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Post Doc
    I would look at the "Interview Feedback" section here on SDN (click on "I.F." at the top of the page, and try to get a feel for the types of questions typically asked at that particular school.

6. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    This question is a good opportunity to leave the interviewer with a short synopsis of your application and/or mention anything that you think is important but that was not covered earlier in the interviewer. If there's anything you need to spin, this is the time to do it.

7. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    Tell them you will kick their butt if they don't accept you. Somewhere along these lines:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMbww-nCVQg&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

Who am I kidding, I was just looking for an excuse to post that video.

8. Tired Pigeon

Resident [Any Field]
    I would use it to emphasize your positive feelings about the school. Show some enthusiasm about what a great fit you would be with the school in question.

Also, it doesn't hurt to say something like, "I'd like you to tell them how much I appreciated the opportunity to come here and interview today. I really enjoyed my experience here and have such a great feeling about ___."

Or something like that.

9. foxycleop

Please pass on that I am the best candidate for admission in their school. (I truly would have said that.)

10. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    go with your gut.

edit: baylormed, that video is awesome. i didn't even know the word ass until i was 8.

11. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member

Pre-Medical
    That was funny. My little sister, when she was 5, was looking through a drawer for a pair of scissors, and when she couldn't find them she slammed the drawer and yelled "God damn it!" I stared at her for like 5 seconds then started laughing my a++ off. :laugh:

12. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    I know! It's so hard to discipline kids when they're being funny.

13. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California

Attending Physician
    I think in general folks try to outgame interview questions too much. Most of the questions they ask can be asked honestly. What would you like the interviewer to say about you to the committee? That you're a research whiz? That you past as a teacher will be helpful to others? That you think you'd be a great addition to the student-run clinics?

Answers that are consciously instructed to sound impressive usually ring phony with experienced interviewers. Be yourself and be honest.

14. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Tell them: "A shiny new donkey to whomever brings me the head of General Montoia"