Interview Question: Tell me about yourself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNoCavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some insight/recommendations on how to proceed with answering the "tell me about yourself" question during dental school interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone give me some insight/recommendations on how to proceed with answering the "tell me about yourself" question during dental school interview?
Past, Present, Future model. Give examples of experiences that made you want to be a dentist and initiatives you took to find out more about the profession. Information about what you are currently doing and how you see yourself as a dentist in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe start with a joke... During my interview I told them... well, everything started im 1989.. and then I was like: just kidding..
But that kind of broke the ice and made me feel more confident.
I just then started to talk about when I moved to the states and just don't remember anything else lol.!!
Just BE YOURSELF..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Talked about high school when I started shadowing dentistry with the same dentist I grew up seeing
  • Talked about college and my major and how that separates me from the rest of the typical applicants that apply to dental school
  • Talked about my family and my siblings and what they're doing and what my parents professions are (tied in the fact that nobody has ever been in the dental field so I will be the first in my family)
  • Talked about other shadowing experiences and dental volunteering and how that led to where I am today (interviewing)
Basically, I answered this the same way as "Why dentistry?" Depending on the temperament of the interviewer, I either made my answer short and concise or elaborated and talked for about 5 minutes. It's important to be able to read their emotions and cues on whether to continue talking or get to the point quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't talk about dentistry a ton when I answered this question, but rather more so about my hobbies and things might show a little bit of my personality

Tell them you're a legend.

If that's too direct, you could mention your current situation (major, job, family, etc.), and how it connects to your goal of getting into dental school. Add an interesting fact about yourself maybe.