is0632894

5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2013
I forgot...but I can tell you how fast I am going!
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
To all the Adcom members out there (@Goro, @gyngyn, and any others I may not know), should I bring a padfolio with my CV or any other information into my interview sessions? Would it be frowned upon if I were to bring in a notepad with questions I wanted to ask at the end of the interview?

Thanks for the help!

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
If the school wants your interviewers to have information about you, the school will provide that to the interviewer. The interviewer is there to talk with you, not to read your CV.
If your memory is so poor that you feel the need to write down the questions you wish to ask, do so but please, don't be like the dolt who asked me if he could ask a few questions and pulled out a 14 inch length of paper with 2 dozen questions written on it. (true story)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The interview is NOT for show and tell.

Having your questions written down on a pad is OK, but pay very careful attention to my sage colleague LizzyM.

To all the Adcom members out there (@Goro, @gyngyn, and any others I may not know), should I bring a padfolio with my CV or any other information into my interview sessions? Would it be frowned upon if I were to bring in a notepad with questions I wanted to ask at the end of the interview?

Thanks for the help!

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
The interview is NOT for show and tell.

Having your questions written down on a pad is OK, but pay very careful attention to my sage colleague LizzyM.
Don't most people just ask a couple questions? Is it likely under stress people would blank out and that's why they write them down?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I wouldn't ding anyone for having the pad with questions, but really, you're considering going to a place when you're going to dump four years of your life, be under a lot of stress, while forking over >$250K the privilege , and you can't remember the questions you'd want to ask?????

Let's put another way: your friends set you up on a date with a really hot person. You need to have questions written down????

Don't most people just ask a couple questions? Is it likely under stress people would blank out and that's why they write them down?

Reactions: oOKawaiiOo

Glazedonutlove

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2015
Status
I wouldn't ding anyone for having the pad with questions, but really, you're considering going to a place when you're going to dump four years of your life, be under a lot of stress, while forking over >$250K the privilege , and you can't remember the questions you'd want to ask?????

Let's put another way: your friends set you up on a date with a really hot person. You need to have questions written down????
...I always bring my notebook of questions I want to ask. How else do people keep track of details??

jokes aside, I get how under the stress one may blank out--but I truly love the schools I'm interviewing at, so I think it's safe to leave the paper at home

strictlyanon

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2015
Status
Should we bring documentation of recent work, pictures, etc? Or just bring nothing?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Also, dont have the questions on your smartphone or tablet, having to fish it out, look them up, then realize you are out of power, fish out your power cords, drop to the ground to find an outlet, plug it in, then ask your question. My guess is that wouldn't make any brownie point with the interviewer but certainly would be memorable.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: strictlyanon

avgn

Lv 30, HP 85
2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2015
Blackthorn City
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net
Status
Medical Student
If the school wants your interviewers to have information about you, the school will provide that to the interviewer. The interviewer is there to talk with you, not to read your CV.
If your memory is so poor that you feel the need to write down the questions you wish to ask, do so but please, don't be like the dolt who asked me if he could ask a few questions and pulled out a 14 inch length of paper with 2 dozen questions written on it. (true story)
How many did you let him ask Miss Lizzy
Story time plz

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
How many did you let him ask Miss Lizzy
Story time plz
Interviews are time limited and I generally allow 15-20% of our allotted time for questions (more if you are really boring and I can't get answers out of you.) Eventually Mr. List Maker ran out of time.