Interview Question

Started by Laplace
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Laplace

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Up until now, I've had the hardest time answering "What do you do for fun?" I mean, I enjoy reading, playing basketball, working out, watching movies, partying etc. but is this how most of you all answer the question? When I respond this way (with the exception of partying), their response usually indicates they want something more than my 10 second answer but I really don't know what else to say. I mean I do things everyone else does. I don't know if they mean personally or if this is when you bring up ECs such as tutoring or research. Any tips would be appreciated.
 
Up until now, I've had the hardest time answering "What do you do for fun?" I mean, I enjoy reading, playing basketball, working out, watching movies, partying etc. but is this how most of you all answer the question? When I respond this way (with the exception of partying), their response usually indicates they want something more than my 10 second answer but I really don't know what else to say. I mean I do things everyone else does. I don't know if they mean personally or if this is when you bring up ECs such as tutoring or research. Any tips would be appreciated.

Just include an anecdote with it. Instead of saying "I like movies", talk about your favorite director, the most recent film you saw, etc. Find a way to answer this question and sound interesting, not like you are making a list.
 
Up until now, I've had the hardest time answering "What do you do for fun?" I mean, I enjoy reading, playing basketball, working out, watching movies, partying etc. but is this how most of you all answer the question? When I respond this way (with the exception of partying), their response usually indicates they want something more than my 10 second answer but I really don't know what else to say. I mean I do things everyone else does. I don't know if they mean personally or if this is when you bring up ECs such as tutoring or research. Any tips would be appreciated.

Answer the question in the same way you will if a girl was the one asking it.

Impress. Don't sound boring.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are making a fundamental mistake in communication. People dont care what you do, they care why you do it. This is a great video if you have 18 min

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4[/YOUTUBE]
 
You are making a fundamental mistake in communication. People dont care what you do, they care why you do it. This is a great video if you have 18 min

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0HIF3SfI4[/YOUTUBE]

Wow, definitely seen this video more than once before but never thought to apply it to an interview, thanks