Interview Questions: Bioethics related

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be good to get together one thread that lists bioethics questions that have been asked in interviews and get a discussion going about different ways to handle them. I know that some are listed in the interview forum, but i think it would be helpful to have them all in one thread (just related to bioethical issues).

To start, I have heard this one:

1. If you were in a village in Ghana and a person that was hiv + collapsed in front of you and was bleeding all over the place, what would you do? You have no gloves.

What do you all think? Its the responsibility and duty of any doctor to help but....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would I ever be in Ghana?
Exactly what I was thinking.....but my response would be go find help (or a pair of gloves)....always remember the first rule of (emergency) medicine- your ass before the patient's. Basically if I had no chance of protecting myself, I'm sorry but the person would just have to bleed out. Our responsibility is to provide appropriate care while not sacrificing our lives for our patients.

Exactly what I was thinking.....but my response would be go find help (or a pair of gloves)....always remember the first rule of (emergency) medicine- your ass before the patient's. Basically if I had no chance of protecting myself, I'm sorry but the person would just have to bleed out. Our responsibility is to provide appropriate care while not sacrificing our lives for our patients.

I agree, but i'd have trouble saying this in an interview.

I agree, but i'd have trouble saying this in an interview.

Possibly saving one life and dying vs. Possibly saving a hundred more lives throughout the remainder of your career.

:

1. If you were in a village in Ghana and a person that was hiv + collapsed in front of you and was bleeding all over the place, what would you do? You have no gloves.

Oh yeah. Like I'd touch him even if I had gloves. Besides, in this scenario I'd probably have a Dead African Baby in each arm.

Absolutely stupid question. Suppose homey had Ebola? then what would all of you compassion junkies do?

Correct answer: Call in an airstrike. Incinerate the village.

Oh wait...we're talking about if we're doctors? Sorry. I thought you meant if we were mercenaries which is the only reason I could ever picture myself going to Africa.

Possibly saving one life and dying vs. Possibly saving a hundred more lives throughout the remainder of your career.

Why would you have trouble saying that? It's the correct answer. And you'll get points for saying it because most of the pre-meds will probably say they'd immediately start mouth-to-mouth on the guy which would be incredibly stupid.

Or they'd say they would convene a meeting with the village elders to discuss ways to educate the villagers about HIV. Then they'd talk about how they'd help the villagers dig a well so they can have access to clean drinking water.

How about somebody being original and saying, "You know, some problems have no solutions. This guy is going to die. Maybe not in the next ten minutes but soon and there's not a goddamn thing I can do about it at this point but find some protective gear and then put him on a cot so he doesn't have to die in the dirt like most people in this part of the world."

Oh yeah. Like I'd touch him even if I had gloves. Besides, in this scenario I'd probably have a Dead African Baby in each arm.

Absolutely stupid question. Suppose homey had Ebola? then what would all of you compassion junkies do?

Correct answer: Call in an airstrike. Incinerate the village.

Oh wait...we're talking about if we're doctors? Sorry. I thought you meant if we were mercenaries which is the only reason I could ever picture myself going to Africa.

That is a pretty unlucky day for that person. Aside from being from Ghana he/she would be bleeding out, have HIV, and have Ebola.....if that is the case the bastard is dying and I am bathing in bleach and also wondering why I am in Ghana.

Here's a good ethics question:

2. Your patient has a history of positive pap smears and is due for her annual exam. She can't pay for the visit, something which she tells your receptionist. While she was in the waiting room she was constantly talking on her cell phone to several of her many friends. Your receptionist overheard that she paid $180 for "corn-rows." A pack of cigarettes can be seen in her purse. She insists that you see her because every body knows that, "All doctors are rich and only work a couple of hours a day."

What is your obligation to this patient?

Here's a good ethics question:

2. Your patient has a history of positive pap smears and is due for her annual exam. She can't pay for the visit, something which she tells your receptionist. While she was in the waiting room she was constantly talking on her cell phone to several of her many friends. Your receptionist overheard that she paid $180 for "corn-rows." A pack of cigarettes can be seen in her purse. She insists that you see her because every body knows that, "All doctors are rich and only work a couple of hours a day."

What is your obligation to this patient?

Sigh, because it is another day at the office....especially if you are in an emergency room. Oh and the obligation...uh guess it is another day for medicaid however it is spelled.