interview questions for osteopathic TCOM UNT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowboard8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if you or anyone you know has had an interview at UNTHSC in ft. worth, tx. If so, do you recall any interview questions easy or hard and your responses to them. I truly appreciate your time,
thank you
sanober
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

The interview is usually pretty straight forward. They want to know about you, your interests in medicine, etc. In the past, the interviewers have been known to ask a lot of ethical/health care related policy related questions so bone up on those aspects. Also, TCOM will ask why you want to be a D.O.---so bone up on your osteopathic history, the whole MD vs DO issue, etc. TCOM has a strong primary care interest---so be sure to emphasize that if it is indeed your interest too.

I had an interview in August. I had one ethical type question. "What would you do if your best freind was a doctor and did ......" I heard a lot of those type of questions were asked to my interview group. The rest of the questions were pretty straight forward except that I was asked if I was picking medicine for the money do to the downturn in the economy. The rest of the questions were what are you interests, why DO, etc... The whole day is very relaxed. They try to make each interviewer feel at home.

Good Luck and have fun

Members don't see this ad :)
I too, interviewed in August. I had lots of ethical scenarios from one of my interviewers. Another asked if DO's I knew practiced any differently than MD's I knew. I really liked that the admissions office reviews your file with you. At some other schools, there were mistakes/discrepancies in the summary files that interviewers had, and we only discovered them accidently.

Go to
<a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">www.interviewfeedback.com</a>
You should be able to find what you are looking for.

Originally posted by snowboard8:
•Hi all,
I was wondering if you or anyone you know has had an interview at UNTHSC in ft. worth, tx. If so, do you recall any interview questions easy or hard and your responses to them. I truly appreciate your time,
thank you
sanober
[email protected]•••

Just know your stuff when it comes to osteopathic medicine and its history.

I'm a 4th year at tcom, only 5 months left. If you have had offers from other schools you should take them. Tcom is a highly political school where the students come last. Your orientation week is the best, once they get your check they treat you as though your being there is imposing on them.
The teaching is horrible, they have cut lectures and added a large amount of "self study", too bad they raised the tuition instead of lowered it. I have had numerous classes where the instructors basically gave us the test questions. And we wonder why the allopathic docs look down on us.
As for rotations, they are mostly very poor.
Family practice: good
pediatrics at tcom: HORRIBLE NO TEACHING AT ALL!!!!
surgery at OMCT: learn very little, do less
ob/gyn: too few patients. No business, if your lucky you stay at school. If not they send you to Cleburne so you can watch an ob/gyn doc for a month and do nothing, why pay tuition?????
Psychiatry at JPS: good, fun
Manipulative medicine :oops: k
Internal Medicine at OMCT: OMCT for one smells like mold... Second the interns and residents make it like high school. Politics once again. The nurses and staff are very rude and unfriendly. If you want to get a good medicine rotation go to Brook Army Medical Center(BAMC) for an elective.
Specialty Medicine: I asked for cardiology, they sent me to Tyler for Pulmonology.

Proof of Tcom's problems: There Alumni fund is almost obsolete. Nobody donates after they graduate. Some docs have told me that if they get a letter with the school emblem the trash it right away. I hope you get in somewhere else.

I'm a second year student at TCOM, and while I haven't done my core clinical rotations yet, I can tell you that from my experience, most of what the above poster wrote is unfounded. I'm also a class officer, which sometimes involves working with our alumni affairs department, and most alumni are more than happy to do things for the students. We recently had a specialty round table dinner, and alumni who had pursued a variety of fields came and shared their experiences with us so that we could begin to make career choices. Earlier in the spring, they had a murder-mystery dinner for the alumni, and my class held a silent auction in conjunction with it so that we could raise money for our class and for charity, and their support was overwhelming. I've gone to alumni reunions, and the friendship and support of the school always inspire me. I've contacted alumni to come and speak at club meetings, and they've been surprisingly willing to take time out of their schedules, or show up on campus on their day off. That sounds like a very supportive body of alumni to me.

As for the curriculum, I appreciate the time for self-study. I don't learn much in lecture, and neither do most other people. It's a passive way to learn. It takes a great deal of time to sit down and learn the vast amount of material required in the first two years. I feel fortunate to go to a school that doesn't force its students to sit through hours and hours of lecture. They give us the opportunity to learn in the most effective ways possible--through self-study and interactive sessions with the faculty. We have a great deal of support in doing self-study, from incredibly accessible faculty (who sometimes give us their pager number or home phone number) to a variety of published resources like textbooks and journals to a concise packet of notes that contain essential information. I have no complaints there. I actually wish more of med school were self-study.

While I can't directly address the complaints about the clinical rotations because I don't have any experience there, I can tell you that many of the professors that run our courses now will be our attendings next year when we start rotations, and I'm really looking forward to that. In most cases, a slightly lower volume of patients means that there's more time to learn if you take advantage of it. And at TCOM, instead of being the 3rd year medical student in line behind the 4th year students, the interns, the residents, the fellows, and finally the attending, you often have one-on-one contact with the attending. Again, an incredible resource if you know how to take advantage of it and learn as much as you can.

After almost two years of medical school, I can tell you that your education is what you make of it. If you sit back and wait for people to fill your head with information, it won't happen. If you go on clinical rotations and expect things to perfectly match your expectations, you might be disappointed. A great deal of what I have learned is because I took the time and made the effort myself, and I think my clinical rotations will follow the same trend. What I based my medical school choice on were two things: I was comfortable with the "feel" of the school and I also wanted to be an osteopathic physician. I believe I made an excellent choice.

Any further questions or comments are certainly welcome.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with all that you say Kristi. Hey Sun Tzu, I see you removed the old 75% crap you kept posting. You still up for the old challenge. :p