Osteopathic Medical Student Opportunity-OMS1/OMS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am the Dean of a proposed new Osteopathic school in a major metropolitan area of the US. We are working on design elements of the new program and I'm very interested in convening a group of CURRENT Osteopathic students to be selected to be on an official committee to provide advice/insight into things you would recommend/find important/recommend against in many of these areas. I want to have a strong element of student design into the school and now is the time to seek out the help! We will provide official recognition for participants selected, that you can use in your CV/MSPE and other goodies as thanks for the time and input. Thinking a monthly zoom meeting and perhaps an in-person experience at something like AACOM/OMED. I'm curious to see what this group would think of that opportunity, and what else might be a way to recognize/thank those who participate?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I genuinely like the enthusiasm you have to create a curriculum and program that is based on feedback from medical students. But on a side note, what is with this massive expansion in DO schools. There are multiple popping up every single year now.

Reactions: 1 users
Would potentially be interested - I love giving opinions, ha.

Recognition/thanks-wise: Honestly, anything that buffs my CV/ERAS is great, and any connections that may be helpful in future.

Please PM me if you'd like to chat about this!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am the Dean of a proposed new Osteopathic school in a major metropolitan area of the US. We are working on design elements of the new program and I'm very interested in convening a group of CURRENT Osteopathic students to be selected to be on an official committee to provide advice/insight into things you would recommend/find important/recommend against in many of these areas. I want to have a strong element of student design into the school and now is the time to seek out the help! We will provide official recognition for participants selected, that you can use in your CV/MSPE and other goodies as thanks for the time and input. Thinking a monthly zoom meeting and perhaps an in-person experience at something like AACOM/OMED. I'm curious to see what this group would think of that opportunity, and what else might be a way to recognize/thank those who participate?
I am also very interested in participating in this project. I am currently a second year in the midwest. Where can I sign up officially?

Reactions: 1 user
I genuinely like the enthusiasm you have to create a curriculum and program that is based on feedback from medical students. But on a side note, what is with this massive expansion in DO schools. There are multiple popping up every single year now.
Many answers to this depending on what your perspective is. The US needs more physicians in the pipeline—every major public health agency in the country is predicting a shortage in the coming decade numbering over 100k. Mostly the projected shortage is in primary care, and traditionally way more DOs enter traditional primary care than do MDs (certainly by percentage of graduates, anyway). DO schools do not require a traditionally large teaching hospital to base the school from, using a more decentralized training model for clinical rotations, which gives DO schools a bit more flexibility.
There are other reasons too.

Reactions: 1 users
✋I'd be potentially interested as well. I'm a current OMS-II student on the east coast.

Hello future doctors. I'm the Associate Dean for Clinical Simulation serving to build an innovative new medical school under Dean Lucas' leadership. Your perspectives as future physicians will help shape key areas, from the curriculum and facilities to the culture and vision.

Please click here [link] to sign up for the Council if interested. Feel free to reach out with any other questions! I look forward to your participation.

Best,
James Colquitt, PhD
Associate Dean for Clinical Simulation
Illinois College of Osteopathic Medicine (proposed) at the Chicago School

Would potentially be interested - I love giving opinions, ha.

Recognition/thanks-wise: Honestly, anything that buffs my CV/ERAS is great, and any connections that may be helpful in future.

Please PM me if you'd like to chat about this!
Here’s a link if you’d like to sign up. We’d love to have you be a part of the Council!