Interview rejection, any way to ask for reconsideration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonovox

Coexist, or else...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two programs I was hoping/praying for an interview offer from, and instead received rejections. I was wondering if it is acceptable to contact the Program Director by email and/or phone to ask for reconsideration of an interview rejection? The Chairman of Medicine, one of my LOR writers, is also world-reknowned in Medicine and Cardiology, with multiple NEJM publications, and I am publishing an article with him next year. He was also a big wig at one of the universities that rejected me. Is it appropriate to ask him to intervene on my behalf?

Come January, my application will be much stronger (my Step 2 score will be back by then, my cards article will be completed, as well as a case report I have been working on). More importantly, I think if I got my foot in the door with an interview, I could show them that I would be a valuable addition to their team indeed, much more than what's on paper.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have two programs I was hoping/praying for an interview offer from, and instead received rejections. I was wondering if it is acceptable to contact the Program Director by email and/or phone to ask for reconsideration of an interview rejection? The Chairman of Medicine, one of my LOR writers, is also world-reknowned in Medicine and Cardiology, with multiple NEJM publications, and I am publishing an article with him next year. He was also a big wig at one of the universities that rejected me. Is it appropriate to ask him to intervene on my behalf?

Come January, my application will be much stronger (my Step 2 score will be back by then, my cards article will be completed, as well as a case report I have been working on). More importantly, I think if I got my foot in the door with an interview, I could show them that I would be a valuable addition to their team indeed, much more than what's on paper.

Thanks.

Sure...I would prefer to have the faculty member call on your behalf, but you could try it yourself, although its probably less likely to be successful. You might couch it in terms of asking what you could do to improve your application since it didn't seem to meet their standards and then you could tell them the above and see if they will reconsider.