Interview Rejections 2005 - Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jattdoc

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here they come ...

Creighton.....m.f...buttf*CK nebraska of all places..."due to the number of applications we have received, we cannot offer you an interview"...wtf does that mean...

Baylor - hmmm Bastards...i have never seen such arrogrance in a rejection letter..."Review of your application materials by our Level I Selection Committee
indicates that your chances of acceptance into our program appear to be
quite low. An interview is unlikely to be productive in securing a residency
position in our Program."

oh well, the honeymoon wasn't going to last forever..

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure that you didn't expect to get 77 interviews... :D

Peter

Jattdoc said:
Here they come ...

Creighton.....m.f...buttf*CK nebraska of all places..."due to the number of applications we have received, we cannot offer you an interview"...wtf does that mean...

Baylor - hmmm Bastards...i have never seen such arrogrance in a rejection letter..."Review of your application materials by our Level I Selection Committee

Jattdoc,

Interviews ARE regional to a fair degree. I am simply right about this. If you are from Texas, you have a much better chance of getting in-state interviews. Same with NY. Same with California. Why this is for RESIDENCY I have no clue.

So don't feel too bad. Baylor is an unbelievably snobby program. I actually interviewed there, and the rejection letter you got is accurate, sadly, of the tone of the entire place. The program director compares Baylor with Harvard, Hopkins, etc--except it's in Houston, that's the only difference. OK, buddy, stay in your dream world. Trust me, you're not missing anything. I think I could have gotten in to Baylor, but after visiting, didn't even bother ranking it, if that says anything.

Creighton? I have no idea why they would be turning people down. That one just makes no sense to me. Brush it off, pay it no heed.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea how many programs send out rejections vs just not inviting you for an interview and not mentioning it to you? I have yet to get any interview offers, but I got off to a late start so I probably shouldn't expect anything (good or bad) for another week or two.

pufftissue said:
Interviews ARE regional to a fair degree. I am simply right about this. If you are from Texas, you have a much better chance of getting in-state interviews. Same with NY. Same with California. Why this is for RESIDENCY I have no clue.

I'm going to be in some trouble then, since I only applied to TWO Texas programs and EVERYTHING else is out of state. Worse, I went to undergrad and grad in Texas, so I look very local. However, I've made it a point to mention to the east coast programs that I will be staying with friends and family in the area, and that I used to live there and have always wanted to move back. To the CA schools, I mention that my husband is born/raised there and mention other friends/family in the area. It's a shame to have to resort to name dropping like that.

Dobiecka said:
Any idea how many programs send out rejections vs just not inviting you for an interview and not mentioning it to you? I have yet to get any interview offers, but I got off to a late start so I probably shouldn't expect anything (good or bad) for another week or two.

Haven't a clue, but it is a good question. I haven't gotten any rejection letters and just assumed that if I hadn't heard anything by mid-Nov that they weren't planning to invite me...

GeneGoddess said:
I'm going to be in some trouble then, since I only applied to TWO Texas programs and EVERYTHING else is out of state. Worse, I went to undergrad and grad in Texas, so I look very local. However, I've made it a point to mention to the east coast programs that I will be staying with friends and family in the area, and that I used to live there and have always wanted to move back. To the CA schools, I mention that my husband is born/raised there and mention other friends/family in the area. It's a shame to have to resort to name dropping like that.

Haven't a clue, but it is a good question. I haven't gotten any rejection letters and just assumed that if I hadn't heard anything by mid-Nov that they weren't planning to invite me...

GeneGoddess,

I didn't mean to scare you. If you are a quality applicant, then obviously none of what I said applies. You'll get interviews everywhere. But all things being equal, I personally have noticed a trend from myself, friends, general stories. My "facts" are just the experiences I've heard about. I'm no admissions guru or anything like that.

I don't think residency programs care much about your home state. I've gotten 6 invites so far yet none from my home state.

fourthyearmed said:
I don't think residency programs care much about your home state. I've gotten 6 invites so far yet none from my home state.

they do care.

applying to programs is as easy as a mouse-click on a little box. thus, you can apply to as many programs as you can afford. one of the posters applied to 77 programs? these programs cannot extend interviews to everyone who applies. they cannot even extend interviews to all the qualified candidates. they have to fill their limited interview dates with candidates who are likely to rank them if chosen. they have to be as efficient as possible.

i am originally from chicago and did undergrad and med school in illinois. every time that i interviewed outside of illinois, the first question that i was asked was would i be willing to move from illinois.

I, too, have been extended out of state residency interviews. However, I've had several PDs or PCs ask me "why X?" and I have to let them know about the geograpahical benefits as well as the program's benefits. One school was VERY curious as the why I'd chosen them (state school) until I said, yeah, I used to live an hour away. Another asked a similar question and I dropped the "I was a patient at your children's hospital once" (weird, but true). I don't think that someone is going to look at my CAF and sniff "Texas?" and trash it (or, at least, I hope not!). But some of them may be curious as to why I chose THEIR program when there are many good ones closer.

GeneGoddess said:
Another asked a similar question and I dropped the "I was a patient at your children's hospital once" (weird, but true).

LOL - that's going to be a *major* emphasis when I apply to McGill pediatrics in Montreal (where I was born and raised, and would like to return). It's probably my best chance at standing out in my personal statement. :)

Of course I'll apply all over the US as well - sadly the only places I can claim family is NYC and Chicago. I guess for Seattle I can say my grandparents used to live there and I loved the area (which is true), and for Vermont I can cite the proximity to Montreal...that's about it.

Lara said:
LOL - that's going to be a *major* emphasis when I apply to McGill pediatrics in Montreal (where I was born and raised, and would like to return). It's probably my best chance at standing out in my personal statement. :)

Of course I'll apply all over the US as well - sadly the only places I can claim family is NYC and Chicago. I guess for Seattle I can say my grandparents used to live there and I loved the area (which is true), and for Vermont I can cite the proximity to Montreal...that's about it.

The fact that you attend medical school in Philadelphia makes the entire Northeast your back yard when applying.

Peter

Jattdoc said:
Here they come ...

Got my first rejection from Baylor with the same email as yours. God how rude!

Mara :mad:

first rejection: SUNY Syracuse for categorical I.M.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI
MY REJECTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS,
DREXEL
SUNY, SYRACUSE
UNIV OF NEB, OMAHA
UNIV OF NEW MEXICO, ALBUQUERQUE
univ of kentucky, louisville

I APPLIED TO ABOUT 55 PRORAMS .NO INTERVIEW CALLS SINCE 3 WEEKS. BUT I STILL DONT KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF THEM. CANT THEY JUST LET US KNOW OR THEY WANT US TO KEEP HANGING IN BETWEEN.

nyresident said:
first rejection: SUNY Syracuse for categorical I.M.

second rejection: SUNY brooklyn (10/21).

so far....

cleveland clinic, ohio
rush
UTsouthwestern
thomas jeffersons
lehigh valley
st lukes
Pennsylvania hospital

interviews from

dexel
UTMB
Cook county

i guess i wont be receiving any more interviews since it looks like the calling season is kind of over.....my credentials IMG/250/257/phd/8publications/need a visa though........applied to 41 programs......

any suggestions or comments.....

Dobiecka said:

Most EM programs interview ten applicants for every one spot they have. Not sure if this correlates with other specialties. Good luck!

Q

What? I certainly hope not...I think perhaps only the 1st round of interview calls have been sent out. Anyone care to comment when interview invites go on til?

drswam said:
so far....

i guess i wont be receiving any more interviews since it looks like the calling season is kind of over.....my credentials IMG/250/257/phd/8publications/need a visa though........applied to 41 programs......

any suggestions or comments.....

ak1978 said:
What? I certainly hope not...I think perhaps only the 1st round of interview calls have been sent out. Anyone care to comment when interview invites go on til?

From last year, it went til early January for late January interview in Northeast area.

I am sure some schools just started to look at the application, it is still early in the process. But, we should have the whole package ready by now.

Good Luck :)

what about West coast programs? Do any of them do that January thing?

Don't freak out yet guys. Remember that the Dean's Letter isn't even out yet. I know our program (USF EM) hasn't given out interviews yet as most applicants files aren't complete. In EM, probably only 1/3 of all programs have started giving out interviews. its probably the same for IM. Wait for another month. If you aren't getting interviews then, its probably time to freak out.

Q

A number of places have "waves" of interview invitations. Didn't fill all your interview spots with your A list? Go on to list B. Also, later in the season when people start cancelling interviews, you may get an invitation. It is still early.

oscar79 said:
HI
MY REJECTIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS,
DREXEL
SUNY, SYRACUSE
UNIV OF NEB, OMAHA
UNIV OF NEW MEXICO, ALBUQUERQUE
univ of kentucky, louisville

I APPLIED TO ABOUT 55 PRORAMS .NO INTERVIEW CALLS SINCE 3 WEEKS. BUT I STILL DONT KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF THEM. CANT THEY JUST LET US KNOW OR THEY WANT US TO KEEP HANGING IN BETWEEN.

Hi,

I have applied for Im in 53 programs .3 rejections so far. Thomas Jefferson,PA,
Montefiore, NY, henry Ford Michigan.
I am really scared if thisis going to continue. anyideas what we shud do next.

Please share with me if u have any good ideas. Is the number of programs i applied less.

rejected from cleveland clinic (10/26/04).

i have applied only to 41 programs.....i cant afford to apply for more......i know the decisions from 15 schools so far......5 interviews and 10 rejections.......my seniors make a point to wait till the end of november before concluding anything.....in the meantime i am focussing on studying and researching the schools that i got interviews from so that i can perform better during the interviews......it looks like te call number will slow down over a period of time......will have to wait and easy but i am hoping that i will get atleast another 3-4 interviews.....goodlcuk to you......

boston univ. rejection via e-mail today (11/3). :mad:

Got a rejection via e-mail from UNC today. I was good enough for an interview at Duke, but not UNC.

is it safe to say that if we haven't heard from l.i.j., north shore, or stony brook, st.luke's, st.vincent's, lenox hill--we'll probably be rejected? :idea:

nyresident said:
is it safe to say that if we haven't heard from l.i.j., north shore, or stony brook, st.luke's, st.vincent's, lenox hill--we'll probably be rejected? :idea:

I believe that LIJ sends rejections so there is still some hope. Also somebody on a different forum claimed to have received a rejection from Lenox Hill.
Don't know about the others, I am curious too.

UTSW rejection so far and haven't heard from 8 others. I have an interview in Shreveport for IM. I also have 7 EM interviews and 1 EM/IM interview. Still waiting to hear from UTMB, U of Arkansas, UAB, U miss, and a couple of prelims in chicago.

got the big X from hopkins today via email. d'oh! perhaps it's an encouraging sign for those of you who are still waiting. :)

This is my first time posting. I got the big x from hopkins as well and to top it off I also got the big x from UCSF. My interview list so far is the following.
1. Mayo (all three sites)
2. University of Wisconsin Madison
3. UC Irvine
4. UCSF Fresno
Waiting to hear from the other UC Schools and UW.
Quick question, is this close to being enough interviews or should I consider adding some programs? I am starting to get worried.

Got the axe from Hopkins today. It was actually a pretty friendly rejection, as opposed to UNC.

Hopkins and UCSF cut me today....

I shoudlnt be surprised, but when u get ur first rejections, its a very sad and disgruntling moment...

Hopkins and UCSF cut me today, too.

But hey guys, at least we got rejected by the best :laugh:

peptidoglycan said:
Stanford...on a Saturday night...weird...
Me too...Stanford. The funny thing is that the e-mail has the subject REGRETS and the sender is a person I did not recognize...so I thought what the heck? :laugh:

Exactly. My boyfriend got it too. Such a nice thing to do to someone on a Saturday night.

Is Stanford really that high on itself? I heard it was "UCSF with a heart," but this seems like a pretty cold thing to do.

Oh well. I count myself lucky that this was only the first school I have to post on this thread. Hopefully it will not be followed my more.

Good luck to everyone!

Got the axe from Duke...weird, the message was only in my ERAS mailbox. Not too sad, I've been lucky so far. Shows how random this process can be; I've gotten interviews at Hopkins, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, and I've seen posts by other people getting an interview at Duke but being rejected by the above... :confused:

ak1978 said:
Got the axe from Duke...weird, the message was only in my ERAS mailbox. Not too sad, I've been lucky so far. Shows how random this process can be; I've gotten interviews at Hopkins, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, and I've seen posts by other people getting an interview at Duke but being rejected by the above... :confused:

I'm basically the same situation as ak1978--only an ERAS message from Duke, also have Hopkins/Penn/Yale interviews but was dissed by Duke. My loss, I was really interested in going there. It makes me wonder what exactly they're looking for. The beat goes on...

Yeah, I got an interview from Duke but got dissed by UNC and Hopkins. Interesting.

rejection from george washington today via e-mail (11/15)

Rejected from Vandy this morning. This one actually kind of hurt because I wanted to check it out. Still curious why Duke gave me an interview, but UNC and Vandy did not. Must be different selection criteria.

yale yesterday as well via email

rejected from BWH today.

Rejected by BWH and UCSD today.

slight update on the rejections, as we are well into the season...

BAYLOR
CREIGHTON
UTSOUTHWESTERN
BOSTON UNIV
UNIV OF NORTH CAROLINA
VANDERBILT
WAKE FOREST UNIV
Tufts-New England Med Ctr
Univ of Cal ? Irvine
Dartmoth
Clevland Clinic
Univ of Maryland
Mayo ? Jacksonville
Mayo ? Rochester
Oregon Health Science Univ
George Washington Univ
Northwestern
Univ of Wisconsin

My stats are 215-USMLE step 1, 229 USMLE step 2, D.O student....some surprises, some expected... i think if your a D.O student i would save money on not applying to these places unless you did a rotation there or are a really strong applicant, just apply all over the place, because there are a lot univ programs especially in the midwest that are D.O friendly....overall, I think there is still some randomness to this process..

later

the list of rejections that i have is

UPenn
MGH
BWH
Mayo
Cleveland clini
Univ Wisconsin
Baylor
UT southwestern
Thomas Jefferson
Northwestern
Rush

my stats....step1 250 , step2 257....have a phd....8 publications.....was expecting since i am an IMG and need a visa.....anyway have to wait and see how it goes.....

drswam said:
the list of rejections that i have is

UPenn
MGH
BWH
Mayo
Cleveland clini
Univ Wisconsin
Baylor
UT southwestern
Thomas Jefferson
Northwestern
Rush

my stats....step1 250 , step2 257....have a phd....8 publications.....was expecting since i am an IMG and need a visa.....anyway have to wait and see how it goes.....

Impressive stats, I am sure you will match at a decent program...
As for UPenn, I have not been accepted or rejected...So I guess there's still hope