Interview Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fel Cactus Fru

Reaction score
In the past week, I've received 4 interview slots all for the end of August/beginning of September. What I'm worried about is having 3 in a span of two weeks at the end of August and having to miss about a week of school for them. All of the schools are at least a 5-hour drive there and back. I can't afford to book flights or accommodations, so I'd be staying with family and friends where I can and driving back the day of where I know no one. I'm worried about the effects of driving down at 3 in the morning for the interviews the day of and then driving back that night to minimize missed classes. Should I scrape the funds together to book hotels and miss more class?

Members don't see this ad.

Inquire as to whether the schools offer hosting by current medical students. Being sleep deprived and causing an accident could be a catastrophe. If you are such a hot prospect, you are likely to have an offer by November 15th (maybe even earlier). At that point, you'll have the freedom to turn down interviews from schools you wouldn't like better than the offer you hold.

Reactions: 2 users
In the past week, I've received 4 interview slots all for the end of August/beginning of September. What I'm worried about is having 3 in a span of two weeks at the end of August and having to miss about a week of school for them. All of the schools are at least a 5-hour drive there and back. I can't afford to book flights or accommodations, so I'd be staying with family and friends where I can and driving back the day of where I know no one. I'm worried about the effects of driving down at 3 in the morning for the interviews the day of and then driving back that night to minimize missed classes. Should I scrape the funds together to book hotels and miss more class?
Might you explore rescheduling 1-2 of them to a date adjacent to a weekend? Concern about missing class is an excellent excuse.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Inquire as to whether the schools offer hosting by current medical students. Being sleep deprived and causing an accident could be a catastrophe. If you are such a hot prospect, you are likely to have an offer by November 15th (maybe even earlier). At that point, you'll have the freedom to turn down interviews from schools you wouldn't like better than the offer you hold.
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to look into staying with a student host.

Also check out couchsurfing.org! This is a community of volunteer hosts. They're awesome!