Interview season opens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i-doctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck everyone. I know a couple of people who are applying for ophthalmology residency this year..

Members don't see this ad.

Im curious if applicants should expect the majority of interview invites the first week (10/17/2022 - 10/21/ 2022)?

Or do the interviews trickle in throughout the fall time period?

Reactions: 1 user
I got around 10 the first week last year, then ended up with 19 by the end of the cycle, most were the first 2 weeks of them releasing interviews

there wasnt much trickle last year but the cap was 18. with cap lowered to 15 may see more trickle but hard to say

Members don't see this ad :)
There’s a large group chat message board on the Ophthalmology Match Discord regarding interviews, but it might be a little intense for some.

Im curious if applicants should expect the majority of interview invites the first week (10/17/2022 - 10/21/ 2022)?

Or do the interviews trickle in throughout the fall time period?
Hi Undes1–
I remember you from earlier this year. Your wife is applying now, correct?
Good luck! All it takes is one interview. I only got 4 interviews (or was it 5?) and matched at my #3 ranked choice.

According to the Discord chat room, most programs haven’t extended interviews yet.

Last edited:
Hi Undes1–
I remember you from earlier this year. Your wife is applying now, correct?
Good luck! All it takes is one interview. I only got 4 interviews (or was it 5?) and matched at my #3 ranked choice.

According to the Discord chat room, most programs haven’t extended interviews yet.
Yes she is! This is a very exciting time and Thank you for the well wishes!

Did she do any worthwhile away rotations?

Did she do any worthwhile away rotations?
Yes! Three actually, and all at places we would both love to live. She was able able to get an LOR from one of the three and she thinks she made great impressions at the other two.

Great. Equally important, hopefully it solidified her liking our field and her decision to go for it.

Last edited:
She's totally in love with the field now!

Yes, pretty much anything else in medicine pales in comparison. We are very happy doctors overall.
Psychiatry was my backup if all attempts of matching in Ophtho had failed…it’s the only other field I could have imagined myself doing somewhat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how virtual interviews results affect the match results.

Virtual interviews help short men and harm tall men. Virtual interviews remove some of the advantages of an attractive woman. Small talk is also probably inhibited by virtual interviews.

Think it doesn't matter? Then look at the residents of dermatology compared to family medicine. A few years ago, I did random test. I looked at the dermatology resident photos of one program in Michigan (probably University of Michigan) compared to the family medicine program of another Michigan program. The derm residents were definitely more photogenic.

Virtual interviews help short men and harm tall men. Virtual interviews remove some of the advantages of an attractive woman. Small talk is also probably inhibited by virtual interviews.

Think it doesn't matter? Then look at the residents of dermatology compared to family medicine. A few years ago, I did random test. I looked at the dermatology resident photos of one program in Michigan (probably University of Michigan) compared to the family medicine program of another Michigan program. The derm residents were definitely more photogenic.
Some actors—like Tom Cruise— are short. The camera angles in his movies are designed to hide that fact. Perhaps these virtual ophthalmology interviewees should hire Hollywood Directors.

I absolutely hate to say it... but looks, height, and charisma do help with interviews.. whether virtual or in person.

I get the basic premise; however, it is unlikely that the derm residents were able to match more competitively simply because they are more attractive. They may have gotten better clinical grades because of their looks, but it’s hard to completely separate that out. Family medicine is also a way harder residency, so that will make them appear more tired generally. Anyway, I think being tall is a bit of an advantage, but it’s probably not going to be a deal breaker by any means.