Interview Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrezai

Doctor?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know for residency interviews when the earliest interviews begin, the latest, and on average when they are conducted? I'm planning my rotation schedule and trying to figure out which months I need to stay available for.

I'm applying general surgery if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs will interview most heavily in October, Nov and December (do take a break for holidays). I did receive some interviews in September but most of mine were in October and November.

Most programs will send you a list of possible interview dates with their invitations and some will interview in January. The date of your interview doesn't matter too much as long as the program doesn't fill their slots outside of the MATCH (some programs will do this to ensure that they fill).

I took my required fourth year rotations early in the year (August and September) so that I was on electives during the interview season. I didn't want to do anything "required" after the MATCH so once I had matched, there was nothing between me and graduation except to show up and collect the degree. Every fourth year elective/rotation was fine with me traveling for interview as they know that this is the season.

Unless your school has far different requirements, they know that all fourth years will be traveling so that you don't actually have to "save" rotations or "stay available". Just let your preceptor know when you have interviews scheduled. Believe me, they are quite understanding.