Wedding during interview season a good Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best date posible

• January (Interview season)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • March (after match)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • May (before or around graduation)

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters

A-poor-student

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiance and I will be fourth-year medical students in a couple of years. We want to get married on January 1, but I know there are still interviews in that period. Do you think it is better to wait after the match and get married in March or May?

My question is: Does the interview season last until January? If so, is planning a wedding a lot of stress for both of you at the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Life must go on!

Reactions: 1 users
There's no good time to get married. Interview season does go through January. By far the easiest time to do it would be post-match, but if you want to get married on 1/1 I don't think you should plan your wedding around the match calendar.

Members don't see this ad :)
If 1/1/23 is nice is a Sunday but 1/1/24 is a Monday. No one wants to get marry a monday

I read it as 1/1/23... which is a Sunday :)

Oh… you may be right.

Either way, its an awkward event with people you hope you never see again, while you engage in the most mind-numblingly boring, “I hope I’m a good fit”, while going so deep into debt that the only escape may be a gun to your head… and then the interview that next day.

Reactions: 2 users
Sunday is probably safe as far as actual interviews go. I just got an interview invite for a program that only has Saturday dates, but I have yet to land a Sunday interview. Programs are sending invites on Sundays, though.

I think January is late enough in the interview season that it is unlikely (but not impossible) to get an interview invite during your wedding, which would be the worst case scenario. Not because interview invites are more important (they're not), but because of the disappointment from missing an interview invite because you're literally exchanging vows possibly messing up your day a little.

So just me personally - I would schedule my my wedding date for after the interview season is over. Just because I would want to be fully present in the moment, and if I knew there was a theoretical possibility I could get an interview invite during my wedding, I wouldn't be. I'd be taking breaks to check my phone, and that would suck.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Isn’t New Years a holiday at most places? Shouldn’t be getting interviews on that day.

January is fair game for interviews. You might have to suck it up and interview on your honeymoon. Really low chance of getting or doing an interview that day.

Planning a wedding while you’re both trying to interview is a different story.

I'd be shocked if any program was interviewing 1/1, regardless of what day of the week it is. While clinicians work holidays, administrators/coordinators/other people involved in interview day will almost certainly be out of office that day. You probably don't want to plan an immediate honeymoon to follow the wedding (in case of january interviews) but that date should be fine for the wedding itself imo.

Reactions: 3 users
My fiance and I will be fourth-year medical students in a couple of years. We want to get married on January 1, but I know there are still interviews in that period. Do you think it is better to wait after the match and get married in March or May?

My question is: Does the interview season last until January? If so, is planning a wedding a lot of stress for both of you at the time?

are you having a midnight wedding? bc that is a terrible day for a wedding otherwise. most people are out late on NYE

Most programs will be in holiday mode from 12/20 (or so) until the monday after 1/1. Most interview offers will be long done by 1/1, but you might certainly still have some interviews in January.

The problem is not a 1/1 wedding. Its that the wedding insanity usually stretches 6 weeks prior. If your wedding is going to be a small affair, then no problem. If you're considering a 300 person blow out, then you need to be very comfortable handing off wedding planning to someone else.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there some compelling reason it has to be done so early? If the answer is not an extremely hard yes like... idk. Grandma is dying and you want her there, just wait 3-4 months. You'll be so much happier and less stressed. Also planning a wedding in two months is reasonable but not for two medical students in their fourth year about to start or be in interviews. That's bat **** crazy friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad idea and that has nothing to do with interviews on the day itself (won't happen; this is for sure). But planning a wedding makes people crazy and it's the last thing you want to do while interviewing. Going by "fiance" I assume you're a woman. Will you even have time for the prep? Like dress fittings? Picking dresses and gifts for your bridal party? Tastings? Meeting with the vendors? The other thing is that as has been mentioned unless you're having a small wedding, January 1st isn't usually a day most people are excited to attend a wedding. Because everyone was out late the night before and partying, most are sleeping it off for work on the 2nd or 3rd. They're getting chores done or helping the kids get ready to return to school after winter break. For a small, intimate wedding with family and a few close friends, it's probably fine, but if you plan to have a big wedding, you will very likely have a lot of declines or - worse - no shows.

Get married in May. You can take your time with planning, meet with vendors, do all the things people do before weddings.

First, congrats on getting married!

Tbh, I wouldn’t recommend it. I felt so stressed and distracted during interview season. I felt being away from my phone where I couldn’t check to see if I had an interview invite to be super stressful. I did have one occurrence where I was invited for an interview and didn’t get to respond within a few hours.. all the spots were already full. It’s a very stressful time and I think it’s going to be difficult to be present at your wedding. Agree with the others. I would at least schedule for after you submit your rank list.

• Care

Not even married and you’re prioritizing work over family? ;) While medicine is our mission in life professionally, at the end of the day, if our families aren’t our number 1, then it’s all for naught. The most important work we will ever do is in our homes.

That all sounds way more critical than what I really feel. I think your concerns are valid. But you have done incredible things. you’ve made it through so many tremendous challenges. You can find the way to make it work and be happy as a result. You both will! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Hey OP! I'm a fourth year and I'm getting married this December. Interviews tend to die down for a couple of weeks around the holiday season, so you should be good.

Wait until after the match… just in case.

• Care
  • Dislike
I’m not married yet, but I’ve been chosen to be a bridesmaid at one wedding & I've been an officiant/bridesmaid (during the COVID pandemic). If you’re a woman, the best time to pick out bridesmaid dresses is 1 year in-advance. Fittings and alterations can span anything from like 3 months to 6 months, depending on the time of year you request it. That just means you need to know what your dress is, and everybody else’s. This doesn’t even include the groom.

If you want to deal with both the holiday season, coordinating with family travel during the winter months (do you think most people you intend to invite will make it? Is that even a concern? Is it a small/quick elopement or the big family wedding?). You’d be surprised who in your family thinks they have a say as to what your wedding looks like & who should be invited.

I’d understand if you want it to be New Year’s Day b/c of an anniversary, it’s symbolic of a new beginning, or you maybe want to save money on decorations, since everything is set up for the winter holidays. You could probably get away with it, since family may be traveling anyway - if you don’t live/work near them.

I agree with other people who say that you shouldn’t expect an immediate honeymoon vacation after a Jan/01/23 wedding. But I don’t think OP expects that anyway. :)

Personally, I’d wait. As long as you plan things at least a year ahead of time, you shouldn’t miss out on potential venues or vendors, etc. Just keep in mind, some people are planning out their weddings 2 years in advance now due to the rescheduling issues from the COVID pandemic.

I think the actual wedding in January is fine- not many interviews happen New Years weekend and having one weekend booked isn’t going to jeopardize your future.

That said, PLANNING a wedding during audition and interview season sounds terrible. For that reason I’d recommend around match or around graduation.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks to everyone, you'll bring up very good points

Most programs will be in holiday mode from 12/20 (or so) until the monday after 1/1. Most interview offers will be long done by 1/1, but you might certainly still have some interviews in January.

The problem is not a 1/1 wedding. Its that the wedding insanity usually stretches 6 weeks prior. If your wedding is going to be a small affair, then no problem. If you're considering a 300 person blow out, then you need to be very comfortable handing off wedding planning to someone else.
I have interviews on Dec 23&24th

• Wow
Straight up savage. Every program I've gotten an invite from is taking at least a week off.
I think it really hurts immigrants who use that time to see family. Especially if your home country is a developing country with spotty internet. Basically have to choose risking a poor interview experience or seeing Fam. For me it was a easy answer….. So now I’m seeing the fam next Easter haha jk. Still going but stressed about internet being spotty

• Sad
First of all , congrats on getting married.
I totally understand your stress on planning a wedding. But, have to say, life must go on.
So, should plan your wedding neither on ANY WEEKEND or after interview season. Pease of case.

I think it really hurts immigrants who use that time to see family. Especially if your home country is a developing country with spotty internet. Basically have to choose risking a poor interview experience or seeing Fam. For me it was a easy answer….. So now I’m seeing the fam next Easter haha jk. Still going but stressed about internet being spotty
That sucks. I'm sorry.

My wedding took about an hour to plan and set up. Small wedding plus fun honeymoon for the win.

• Care
My wedding took about an hour to plan and set up. Small wedding plus fun honeymoon for the win.

Nice! That must’ve been a relief. You and your partner must’ve already knew what you wanted. Respect. Sounds ideal for a lot of couples trying to save that $$$ this year & next year too. I’m gonna throw myself into this category for now. Can’t even fathom a big wedding atm.

thanks to everyone, you'll bring up very good points

And @A-poor-student — Enjoy the long engagement with your person where you can & don’t blow $$$ on extra stuff (ex. Bridal boxes are extra & do it if it’s within your budget/if you care)! Pretty simple. You got this.

I got married Jan. 2 2010 as a MS2. The week before was Christmas, the week after I started back.

Coincidentally, I Share my anniversary with my older brother and my parents.

My advice. It is ok to plan a smaller affair due to life circumstances.

My opinion: 2year engagement is too long. Get married sooner.

A) congrats!
B) any tips for OP on planning a wedding during 4th year and interview season?
Thank you!

So honestly I planned most of the wedding throughout M3. We had a longer engagement because I knew it would be less stress with school if I had time to take things slow. So I never really felt overwhelmed because I had time to do one thing at a time. Now that interviews are starting up I'm pretty much done with all the big things and just have the minor details to wrap up. I haven't found it to be too bad!

• Care