Nov 9, 2010
Status
Hi all,

Sorry to add another thread on the prospects of expecting interviews, but I really just would like to see if there are members who had been through this process before and what their experiences are so I don't have unrealistic expectations, since I don't really know what to expect...thanks.

I have a 35-38 MCAT, 3.7 cumulative, which makes me "competitive" I guess at all schools. I applied to 13 out of the top 20 schools, and 10 others with a large spread below the top 20 (I don't really like rankings but I don't know how to quantify my application profile).

I've been rejected by 3 (all in top 20), with interviews at 6 (occurred or pending - 2 in the top 20, 4 below). Given my remaining 14 schools, all of them except 4 or 5 I was complete in September - the rest were complete in mid-August.

I know Top 20 interviews are very fickle to predict, given my middle-of-the-road stats in the top applicant pool, but I also have not heard from any school regarding interviews for 6 weeks going now. "It's early" is thrown around here a lot, but when is "early" in regards to the interview season? When should I stop expecting invites? January?

Thank you so much and for helping someone confused about this process. :oops:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Unless there is something wrong with your interviewing style, one of those interviews should turn into an offer by June 1. Come back and tell me I'm an idiot if it doesn't turn out that way. January 15 is late for interview invites so until then you need to hold on. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and once the crazy high stats people are out of the way things shake out for the folks like yourself.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You have 6 interviews and are complaining because you don't have more.

As long as you have some good activities to back up your scores, there's no reason you shouldn't get into a medical school. Not every school will like you. I applied twice, and when I applied the second time, I reapplied to four schools (among others): NYU, Mt. Sinai, Colorado, and U of South Carolina. I had interviewed at all except Mt. Sinai the previous time I applied, just didn't get in for various reasons. Mt. Sinai didn't offer me an interview, NYU didn't offer to interview me again, Colorado interviewed me and rejected me, and USC accepted me the day after I interviewed.

But it's okay, because I interviewed at UVA and fell in love with the school, and absolutely love it here now that I am here, even though we're a guinea pig class. You only need one interview to turn into an acceptance to go to medical school, which should be all you're concerned about if you really want to be a doctor.

Contradiction

7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I was (really still am) in virtually the same position - similar scores/GPA, similar list of schools I applied to. I hadn't heard from anywhere since early/mid-October, so I was freaking out and figuring I wouldn't hear from anyone else. Yesterday I finally got an interview at my top choice. So it still can happen and I haven't given up hope on the schools I haven't heard from yet and neither should you. From what I can glean this lull in responses seems to be fairly normal in the process (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).