Interview skills.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBeans

MrBeans
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some pretty rough/rusty interview skills.

I was reading through the interview questions on the SDN, and boy, I need to polish myself up!

I've been reading on ways to improve my delivery, talking to myself in the mirror, and recording myself. I still feel like I need to do A LOT of practicing.

I'm so nervous for interviews (if I'm lucky to get one ;):xf:)! :scared:

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do? What are you doing to practice, if anything?

Undoubtedly there are some natural born speakers out there, I just wish I had your natural talent! +pity+

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are delving too deep into this. Do you sound awkward when you have conversations with your friends or people you somewhat know? Hopefully you get rid of those jitters after your first interview.

I think you are delving too deep into this. Do you sound awkward when you have conversations with your friends or people you somewhat know? Hopefully you get rid of those jitters after your first interview.

No, I'm not terribly awkward or anything when carrying on general conversations.

Maybe I am delving too deep into worrying about interviews. It just seems there is so much importance and emphasis placed on them.

Have to shake off the jitters! :p:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a lot of emphasis on them but the more you worry, the worse you are probably going to make it. What you are doing is building it up so big that when it comes time to do it, you won't sound natural and your nervousness will be overflowing.

Just try to relax and go in with the mentality that you have a bunch more interviews after this and if you screw it up, oh well, you have a bunch more. This will chill you out and make you come across as genuine. Just be yourself, if they don't like you, then the school probably isn't a good fit anyways.

I was reading through the interview questions on the SDN, and boy, I need to polish myself up!

I've been reading on ways to improve my delivery, talking to myself in the mirror, and recording myself. I still feel like I need to do A LOT of practicing.

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do? What are you doing to practice, if anything?

Undoubtedly there are some natural born speakers out there, I just wish I had your natural talent! +pity+
From one nervous wreck to another, one of my favorite pieces of advice would be to speak with your interviewer like they are your best friend. Seriously. Just be natural. :D

From one nervous wreck to another, one of my favorite pieces of advice would be to speak with your interviewer like they are your best friend. Seriously. Just be natural. :D

:laugh:

Good advice! It seems like for these types of interviews, your advice is definitely key! :rolleyes:

Mr Beans, I feel the same exact way. I think about my interview skills ALL day. Whenever I talk to people I imagine them as interviewers and I get jittery and nervous. I really hope we can shake this off before interviews. I plan on using my school's career resource center and having mock interviews in a professional setting with people I have never met before.

The advice about imagining them as friends is great. Thank you for that!

Just remember they are not trying to trick you. In almost all cases, they want you to do well in the interview. Most interviews will just turn into a big conversation anyways, which will take off the pressure of the classic question/answer interview scenario. However, you definitely will have interviews that are classic question/answer format.

Mr Beans, I feel the same exact way.

Good to know I'm not alone ;)

sfrice80 said:
Just remember they are not trying to trick you. In almost all cases, they want you to do well in the interview. Most interviews will just turn into a big conversation anyways, which will take off the pressure of the classic question/answer interview scenario. However, you definitely will have interviews that are classic question/answer format.

This is a good point. For some reason I have it in my head that any type of interview they are trying to trick you or something; I don't even have anything to be tricked about! :p Strange how the subconscious psyche works. :rolleyes::laugh:

i LOVE the casual coffee shop little chat style interviews. so awesome and really makes you feel right at home! the ones where they grill you SUCK but just remember to keep smiling, they're testing you :)

i LOVE the casual coffee shop little chat style interviews. so awesome and really makes you feel right at home! the ones where they grill you SUCK but just remember to keep smiling, they're testing you :)

I think this is really important!

I had no idea they had casual coffee shop interviews. That sounds like it could be, well, fun! :eek::)

^LOL not literally, but i mean it feels like your just chatting with a buddy. i WISH they did this more often. most of the mock interviews at schools that i've done (like apart of open house type programs) are the kind where they grill you :( i think a good way to gauge interview styles at schools is to look at people's comments in the interview feedback :)

also, be in control of the interview...don't let them grill you. steer the interview in another direction by knowing how to answer their questions. you know how sometimes they might bounce off your response and ask you another question based on your last response? well make sure your responses aren't going to come back to bite you later on in the interview lol dunno if that made sense.

Go on dates (with people you don't really know). I'm sure a lot of the dates can be harsher than the interviews but prepare for the worst and then an interview might be a walk in the park. ;)

also, be in control of the interview...don't let them grill you. steer the interview in another direction by knowing how to answer their questions. you know how sometimes they might bounce off your response and ask you another question based on your last response? well make sure your responses aren't going to come back to bite you later on in the interview lol dunno if that made sense.

:thumbup:

This will definitely take practice, but I think it's beneficial!

Beans, where did you find these interview questions, i've been looking but i can't find anything :(

ps you'll get an interview, and i'm not gonna 'practice' im going to read questions and think about responses/ questions to ask the interviewers but that's as far as my prep is going
:xf:

Beans, where did you find these interview questions, i've been looking but i can't find anything :(

ps you'll get an interview, and i'm not gonna 'practice' im going to read questions and think about responses/ questions to ask the interviewers but that's as far as my prep is going
:xf:

Here you go, Princess:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=dental

Thinking about questions to ask is a great point, I'm trying to work on that to. :thumbup: It's easy to forget about!

Beans - recording yourself is overkill, and if you keep doing this it could really hurt you. Read the questions on SDN, be familiar with them, and be natural. Too much interview practice can mess you up tho.

Beans - recording yourself is overkill, and if you keep doing this it could really hurt you. Read the questions on SDN, be familiar with them, and be natural. Too much interview practice can mess you up tho.

I completely agree... there is a fine line between being prepared and being over prepared. You don't want to sound like all your responses are completely canned to all of their questions, you want to leave some wiggle room for spontaneity and personality. Adcoms are people just like us and can tell if we are genuine or full of s**t. Also, adcoms expect you to be nervous, so a little nerves are ok... just don't burst in to tears or pee your pants.

Just let them see how badly you want to be a dentist, your passion and enthusiasm will shine through more than any clever answer. Its not like a bio/chem test, there are not right or wrong answers to most interview questions, you can't memorize them. Just answer everything honestly and confidently and you will do just fine!! Best of luck!!

Cheers!! :D

The career services center at my university had mock interviews, and could tailor them to medical school interviews.

I think it's great to know what you want to say to the hard questions---just don't sit there and roborecite it when they ask.

Some of my best moments came when I didn't know what to say.

"What is something you're really afraid of about medical school?"

--silence---

"Umm...not answering this question fast enough."

He laughed (may have been a pity laugh), but by then I had an honest answer. They won't shoot you if you have to think.