Interview spacing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With interviews starting to roll in, what do you think the best time interval between them is? If the programs are in the same city should you attempt back-to-back interviews or try and get a day or two between them?? I worry about running out of steam with too many in a row...

Members don't see this ad.

Roadrunner said:
With interviews starting to roll in, what do you think the best time interval between them is? If the programs are in the same city should you attempt back-to-back interviews or try and get a day or two between them?? I worry about running out of steam with too many in a row...

I've heard that interviews are not like med school interviews, but the programs are really trying to recruit you, making it a more pleasant time. I get nervous and can't eat before interviews, but since I've got many in different cities I hope to fly into, I would like to try and schedule them back-to-back...

My toughest time during interview season was when I three interviews scheduled in the same week. Of course I drove to each and they were located in different states so I was tired from the traveling more than the interviews themselves. I suggest that if the interviews are in the same city or within the same state it's OK to schedule them back-to-back or with only a day between. Otherwise give yourself a couple days between... so you can at least do laundry and sleep ;) . Good luck.

I've started stacking my interviews pretty closely that are within close proximity to one another. Most interns/residents that I've talked with so far have said that doing a couple in a row isn't a bad idea but just to be sure that social events for the programs don't overlap. In other words, sometimes Program A may have an informal social the night after the interview and Program B has a social event the night before the interview, then you may be in the position to have to choose between the two. You're kinda like the mac daddy or diva who has multiple dates on one night and you're trying not to let on that you have other plans later in the evening.

I also figure that with gas prices and plane tickets climbing like they are then I'm just going to have to be practical and get the most bang for my buck. No sense in flying to the same place twice if I can avoid it... :cool: