Interview Stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FUTUREDOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first medical school interview this Friday and I am really stressing over it. It's at University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in DesMoines, IA. If anyone has any tips on how to prepare and stay calm please reply---soon!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry no med school interview tips as I haven't got there yet. However, I can't help but feel that being yourself is what matters most. I have been part of hiring committies at my school and it is pretty obvious when somebody is feeding you a line. You have spent at least four years getting to this point so don't change strategy mid stream. Remember why you started all this in the first place and remember they expect you to be nervous, everbody is. GOOD LUCK. Sean

I have interviewed at 3 schools so far and have found that UOMHS was the easiest and most relaxing. The people at UOMHS are some of the nicest in the world. The interview lasted a maximum of 20 minutes and the types of questions I remember include : What was the coolest thing you saw while working in the E.R., What kind of medicine do you want to practice, Why do you want to be a doctor, etc. They asked me questions that they knew I could answer, nothing open-ended or attacking. The advice that I would give you is to stay with one of the students and meet the students around campus. They will help you prepare, answer questions, and lessen stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
Futuredoc,

Try not to be nervous! A UOMHS interview is actually a pleasant experience. I interviewed there in October and it was my first interview, too. I was so nervous and went in expecting all sorts of ethical questions and negative comments about my application. I couldn't have been more wrong! I had 2 science profs as interviewers and they were great. I understand they now are using 3 interviewers (med student). They talked to me about the school, asked me what led me to medicine (I'm 31), what I like to do for fun and how I relieve stress. That was pretty much it. We laughed together and spoke easily like acquaintances, not like an interview. I was still nervous, but I believe a certain amount of this is necessary to be on top of your game. Just relax and try to enjoy the experience. They don't invite you unless they're interested in you. Look around, talk to some students and try to see if you'd fit in. The interview day isn't just for the school to assess you, but for you to assess them. You'll do just fine and remember that everyone has to go through this! Good luck to you!

Stef
UOMHS '03

Check out interview.com It helped me alot. I am planning on attending UOMHS this fall. My interview was a little more stressful than most of the other people I have spoken with. But, it was not as bad as my interview at St. Louis. They burned me at the cross there. Just kidding. Overall, it is a pleasant experience. The people ARE very nice. I interviewed with faculty and a medical student. It never became a casual conversation, but it did lighten up after a while. They asked me to tell them about myself, why I wanted to be a doctor, my experience in the ER, and other basic questions. Some people were asked about ethical questions, but I was not. The students at the school are also very nice and helpful. Ask them about your interviewers during the tour to get a tip about how they're like. Oh, and have a big breakfast, because lunch there was awful
smile.gif
I don't know how people could stand eating there. And of course interviews are after lunch. Medical schools like to feed you (and feed you bad food), get you sleepy, then go in for the kill. Just kidding. I was once served Mexican food before an interview. You can guess what the result of that was.
frown.gif
Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me and I might be able to give you more info.