Interview Stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adenine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know we all get a little nervous about our interviews, so I wanted to know how you guys deal with the anxiety.

I've been preparing for an interview for a few weeks and basically know what I would like to talk about and how to answer some common questions, but I had a practice interview today and I SOUND nervous. I can hear it, and so did my interviewer.

I had one interview last cycle and was waitlisted, I think in part because I was nervous and they knew it. So now I'm extra jittery! Any advice would be great!

TL;DR - How do I chill out and act confident? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Take deep breaths. Realize that the interview is about YOU. Consequently, YOU are the most knowledgeable about what will be discussed. As long as you know why you did the things you did, you'll do absolutely fine.

If you have more time, do something that requires you to be outgoing and interact with others. I used to be relatively introverted, but working as a supplemental instruction leader (somewhat similar to a TA) and holding review sessions for ~100 people got rid of that pretty quickly. This is of course just one example - there are PLENTY of things that require these skills. Often this will require you to step out of your comfort zone, but it's well worth it.

Take deep breaths. Realize that the interview is about YOU. Consequently, YOU are the most knowledgeable about what will be discussed. As long as you know why you did the things you did, you'll do absolutely fine.

If you have more time, do something that requires you to be outgoing and interact with others. I used to be relatively introverted, but working as a supplemental instruction leader (somewhat similar to a TA) and holding review sessions for ~100 people got rid of that pretty quickly. This is of course just one example - there are PLENTY of things that require these skills. Often this will require you to step out of your comfort zone, but it's well worth it.

This mostly.. But for short term improvement I'd keep practicing interviews with friends, family, and your school's health advisors (if possible).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'm just screwed up or something, but interviews don't make me nervous at all. In my experience, an interview is a chance for someone to get to know you and your background. I know there are interviewers out there that are genuinely "out to get you," but I don't think the majority of medical school interviews are like that.

In most cases, it's a conversation, and you should view it that way. You know yourself better than anyone, right? You know why you want to go into medicine, and you know what experiences are important to you. You should be confident in your own answers and your ability to have gotten this far. If you're getting medical school interviews, you are in the top 10% of scholars in the nation (heard this somewhere, don't remember where).

It's all about perspective. If you look at medical school interviews as a huge roadblock in your way, then you're going to be nervous. If you, however, look at it as a chance for someone else to get to know you and for you to get to know someone else, then it doesn't seem all that bad.

I'd say for me the biggest point of concern is that I will be asked to converse about something I'm not really informed about. For example, I know little about current affairs in the Middle East (apart from from the Iran debacle) or Chicago's teacher strike. Obviously these shortcomings can be remedied by a quick google search but that doesn't mean something else might not come up I'm not exactly current on.

Do that thing Dwight does with the heavy metal and the air guitar.

I don't know if I'm just screwed up or something, but interviews don't make me nervous at all. In my experience, an interview is a chance for someone to get to know you and your background. I know there are interviewers out there that are genuinely "out to get you," but I don't think the majority of medical school interviews are like that.

In most cases, it's a conversation, and you should view it that way. You know yourself better than anyone, right? You know why you want to go into medicine, and you know what experiences are important to you. You should be confident in your own answers and your ability to have gotten this far. If you're getting medical school interviews, you are in the top 10% of scholars in the nation (heard this somewhere, don't remember where).

It's all about perspective. If you look at medical school interviews as a huge roadblock in your way, then you're going to be nervous. If you, however, look at it as a chance for someone else to get to know you and for you to get to know someone else, then it doesn't seem all that bad.

As well intended as these methods of self-persuasion might be, I have never found them to work in real life when it counts. "Reason" and "rationalization" have little power over the inherently irrational mechanism of emotion/nerves. In my experience, a combination of the following can mitigate/eliminate nerves for interviews:

-As mentioned by Nick, general social skills - this requires longitudinal practice, but anything is better than nothing.

-Preparation - you appear to have that down

-Being able to deliberately turn off the compulsive "mental chatter" of your mind - look into meditation/mindfulness techniques and practice them 15 mins. a day. Won't take much time - will do WONDERS for your ability to maintain presence of mind so you won't be distracted by your nerves and can use all your mental energy on the content of the interview.

[/LIST]

I'd say for me the biggest point of concern is that I will be asked to converse about something I'm not really informed about. For example, I know little about current affairs in the Middle East (apart from from the Iran debacle) or Chicago's teacher strike. Obviously these shortcomings can be remedied by a quick google search but that doesn't mean something else might not come up I'm not exactly current on.

I really doubt they'll ask you about things like that. I'd focus on more medically related current events, rather than random political dealings across the globe.

I really doubt they'll ask you about things like that. I'd focus on more medically related current events, rather than random political dealings across the globe.

In my interviews at 5 schools I've had healthcare policy related questions a total of once. Not once have I had to talk about other current events. Is it just me is or is the need for current even knowledge overblown?

OP you need to put yourself in one on one conversation situations more. Try speed dating ;)

To deal with anxiety? Well I... Well you know...
vkN78.png

In my interviews at 5 schools I've had healthcare policy related questions a total of once. Not once have I had to talk about other current events. Is it just me is or is the need for current even knowledge overblown?

OP you need to put yourself in one on one conversation situations more. Try speed dating ;)

Haha! Sure, I'll try anything once. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I have an interview in a week and don't have time to hone my meditation skills, unfortunately. I need a quick/easy fix, I guess? My manager tells me to visualize that I'm already a doctor or a student at the school. Anyone else use this technique?

Haha! Sure, I'll try anything once. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I have an interview in a week and don't have time to hone my meditation skills, unfortunately. I need a quick/easy fix, I guess? My manager tells me to visualize that I'm already a doctor or a student at the school. Anyone else use this technique?

Personally I imagined I was talking to myself/mirror/brother.

Edit: My brother is quite a bro, so I'm really comfortable about talking anything to him.

Last edited:
Just imagine you are talking to a friend you are comfortable with. This will make the conversation flow better. Just be sure to breathe deeply and regularly. My interview day I found I was holding my breath a lot which just perpetuates the feeling of panic.

Make sure to go over the interview questions from each school provided on here and have some bullet points to talk about for each question. I found most of the ones I practiced came up in my interviews.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I don't really get stressed out about interviews... but now that I've had my first interview, I found that I stress out AFTER the interview, and I sit here and wonder if I'll get in haha.

Hi everyone,

I know we all get a little nervous about our interviews, so I wanted to know how you guys deal with the anxiety.

I've been preparing for an interview for a few weeks and basically know what I would like to talk about and how to answer some common questions, but I had a practice interview today and I SOUND nervous. I can hear it, and so did my interviewer.

I had one interview last cycle and was waitlisted, I think in part because I was nervous and they knew it. So now I'm extra jittery! Any advice would be great!

I always do better when I remember that the interview, for my purposes, is about me. (Obviously, it's about them too but their decision is up to them and I think the best way to find a mutually good fit is to be open, honest, and enthusiastic in interviews.) I want to find a school that is a good fit and I want to go into it evaluating them just as much as they are evaluating me. When I stop focusing on what they're going to ask me, what I'm going to say, and think more in terms of what I want to find out, what I want to share and what I hope to get out of the interview I find that it's easier to focus on the things that I'm passionate about and to communicate those well to my interviewers.

In some ways it's like driving around curves or in construction zones with narrow lanes that you're not familiar with. It's easy to panic when you're focusing 10 feet in front of you because everything seems like it's happening so fast and it's changing and you're fretting about how to compensate and you end up stressed out and overcorrecting. In contrast, when you look out a 100-200 feet ahead of you, the steering comes naturally because you're looking towards your ultimate goal and not just at the next couple of feet. It's just a change of perspective but it changes your whole perception about what's happening. In my mind, interviews are the same thing. Stay focused on the big goal and the little things won't throw you.

Last edited:
I find two things useful:

1. Don't think of acceptance as something that you need to win from your interviewers, rather they need exceptional students (such as yourself) in their institution and that your interview is an opportunity that you have to help them fulfill that need.

2. Talk with the other interviewees; my nervousness reserves run out pretty quickly and talking with the other students on interview day, most of whom are really interesting people, speeds up that process and gets me in the state of mind to talk with new people about themselves and myself as well, which is essentially what a medical school interview is...

Anyway, those two practices work well for me. If they don't work out for you then I'm sure you will eventually find some things that do, and rock your interviews because of them!

I was super nervous for my first interview. I felt stiff and my interviewer could tell. I still answered confidently but it took a while to shake off the nervousness. By the time I had my second interview, I felt calm and had a really great conversation.

Im hope I can keep that calm feeling for all my next interviews, and I hope that the first guy who interviewed me cuts me some slack :/

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but it makes a world of difference if you smile. Smiling will make you more positive and also get your interviewer to smile back most of the time.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but it makes a world of difference if you smile. Smiling will make you more positive and also get your interviewer to smile back most of the time.

It also helps to be a pingpong pro.

I always do better when I remember that the interview, for my purposes, is about me. (Obviously, it's about them too but their decision is up to them and I think the best way to find a mutually good fit is to be open, honest, and enthusiastic in interviews.) I want to find a school that is a good fit and I want to go into it evaluating them just as much as they are evaluating me. When I stop focusing on what they're going to ask me, what I'm going to say, and think more in terms of what I want to find out, what I want to share and what I hope to get out of the interview I find that it's easier to focus on the things that I'm passionate about and to communicate those well to my interviewers.

In some ways it's like driving around curves or in construction zones with narrow lanes that you're not familiar with. It's easy to panic when you're focusing 10 feet in front of you because everything seems like it's happening so fast and it's changing and you're fretting about how to compensate and you end up stressed out and overcorrecting. In contrast, when you look out a 100-200 feet ahead of you, the steering comes naturally because you're looking towards your ultimate goal and not just at the next couple of feet. It's just a change of perspective but it changes your whole perception about what's happening. In my mind, interviews are the same thing. Stay focused on the big goal and the little things won't throw you.

This was actually very helpful, thank you for sharing!

OP you should probably just pair with tymine, you'd feel much better afterwards

You know, I've been thinking about that... I'm just not sure that our attraction is strong enough!

You know, I've been thinking about that... I'm just not sure that our attraction is strong enough!

well then quit comparing yourself to cytosine and guanine!! :laugh:

sorry, had to

If you had a long time to prepare for this, I would say learn a second language. Being forced to go out of your comfort zone and speak in class got rid of my nervousness. Going abroad and working in a place where no one spoke English took me totally out of my comfort zone. I had to be way more active and outgoing to just talk to people. Being a TA has also led me to be more confident in my speaking abilities.

Short term? Practice, practice, practice. Try joining Toastmasters to have public speaking practice. Raise your hand in class and ask questions. Do things that force you to speak in front of others.

Finally, know your application like the back of your hand. Think of the interview like a test. How do you feel about a test that you studied a hours for? Normally you are nervous, second guess yourself and lack all confidence. Now what about those tests that you have studied a week for and done tons of practice problems? You go in, sit down and answer every problem easily. Sure you may make a few mistakes, but you will still get a solid A on it.

A few shots of grain alcohol right before the interview.

Or, just relax. If you've been invited to an interview they obviously like what they see.

Hi everyone,

I haven't had any interviews for schools yet (but I will definitely be using this tip my advisor told me), but for job interviews I used to video tape myself answering typical questions (tell me about yourself, etc).
Then I could see how nervous I looked, how my responses sounded, even things like the way I sat and carried myself. It seemed weird at first but I realized things I did that would have been distracting: constantly touching my hair, the restless leg-shaking, etc.

Worth a shot!

Irene Chavez from Texas Tech once said something along the lines of:

Don't be nervous--you're our guests as we invited YOU to OUR school. So stay relaxed and stay calm!