Interview Suit Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluemamba7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we need to get a fitted suit for interviews. Does anyone know how long it takes for the process to get a fitted suit? Can anyone recommend any cheap but high quality places? I’m a trad college student so I’ve never got a fitted suit before or know the process of getting one

Members don't see this ad.

My husband hit up one of those Joseph A Bank mega sales for one of his and they will tailor it for you.

Reactions: 1 users
My husband hit up one of those Joseph A Bank mega sales for one of his and they will tailor it for you.

Do you know how long they take to tailor the suit? And how much did the full package cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how long they take to tailor the suit? And how much did the full package cost?

He says it was $30ish to tailor. Whole package was ~200. It took 1-2 weeks for it to come back

He says it was $30ish to tailor. Whole package was ~200. It took 1-2 weeks for it to come back

Oh I see, so you bring them a suit and they will tailor for you? Great, $30 is also very cheap too! Though I don’t know if it would be better if I just buy a package, the suit I have now may be too baggy lol

Oh I see, so you bring them a suit and they will tailor for you? Great, $30 is also very cheap too! Though I don’t know if it would be better if I just buy a package, the suit I have now may be too baggy lol

Any tailor will do that for you. Definitely be sure it fits properly

Reactions: 1 user
Macy's definitely has nice suits and many sales. I had mine tailored there as well for $45 I think. Took about a week to get back. You want to give yourself wiggle room because sometimes things go wrong and they don't tailor it correctly the first time, so it ends up being a few weeks. This happened to one of my friends even though I'd like to think that is rare!

Hit up thrift stores in a rich part of town like goodwill. I got my first suit for 10 bucks (you could tailor it too after you buy it). My current suit I got on sale from Jcrew, total was like 200 down from 800ish. Also got some nice Allen Edmonds off of ebay (park ave in black).

Reactions: 2 users
Hit up thrift stores in a rich part of town like goodwill. I got my first suit for 10 bucks (you could tailor it too after you buy it). My current suit I got on sale from Jcrew, total was like 200 down from 800ish. Also got some nice Allen Edmonds off of ebay (park ave in black).

Out of curiosity, what makes a suit package $800?!?!?! What the difference between that and a $200 package?

Out of curiosity, what makes a suit package $800?!?!?! What the difference between that and a $200 package?
If you line up a bunch of cheap suits and throw in a high end designer suit you can spot it from across the room. Literally everything about it is better for both the wearer and the observer.

My advice would be to go to an actual retail store for a high end suit. Act like you’re interested in buying one and get fitted for one so you know how a good suit feels. Then, head to Nordstrom rack or another actual outlet (not a fake outlet that caries knock offs). Find a dark grey or blue suit that either fits great or decent to what you had a professional show you, then go have it tailored regardless of how it fits in the store.

Do it right and you can get a $1000+ suit for less than half the price.

Reactions: 8 users
For business, I have a $3K suit [Neiman Marcus]. They can get up there in price lmao. It's the designer, plus the quality of the suit material. Feels soooo much nicer than my cheaper suits as well. Of course, this is totally unnecessary for a med school interview.

Charcoal and navy are the preferred color in a conservative men's suit. Never black.

Fit is key. Nothing smacks of inexperience like an ill-fitting, cheap suit.

Suits are a lot like wine. You can get a nice suit for not a lot of money. You can also get a lousy suit for not a lot of money.

My recommendation is to go Jos A Banks. They have decent sales, good enough tailors and can often rush the tailoring, if need be. The suits are decent there, their shirts are excellent and their ties are fine (enough).

I prefer this as the standard uniform.

Charcoal suit
Light blue shirt (solid, plain point collar)
Solidish maroon tie.
Black shoes (plain)
Black belt

This can be worn in just about any situation. Save the navy suit with white shirt for evening wear.

Great adivice. And save the black suit for funerals.

I also like white shirts and "interesting" ties. Don't be afraid of stripes or little patterns in the tie.

• Love
I did what Tenk said above about going to a store and getting a high end suit fitted. I then went to a Burlington Coat Factory (not sure if there's one of these by where you live) and got a great suit for 100 bucks. It needed very minor modifications and looked great. Obviously didn't look like a 1000 dollar one but still looked very good. dont forget that it doesnt matter how expensive your suit is if it doesnt fit right

Members don't see this ad :)

There are two ways of doing this. One is to go to a store that sells men's suits, choose a suit off the rack and have a tailor that works in the store fit the suit to you and make slight alterations such as hemming the trousers or moving a button. In fact, pants in these stores come without finished hems as that is part of the customization that is built into the price of the suit.

The other is to take a suit you already own (a hand-me-down, something you bought in a thrift shop or something that no longer fits as well as it used to) to a tailor who works independently (not in a clothing store). Sometimes people who operate dry cleaning shops also do tailoring. How long this takes will depend on how busy the tailor is. Usually you are going to have a wait of 1-2 weeks from the initial session to walking out with the tailored garments.

You get once nice suit and wear it for anything

If you line up a bunch of cheap suits and throw in a high end designer suit you can spot it from across the room. Literally everything about it is better for both the wearer and the observer.

My advice would be to go to an actual retail store for a high end suit. Act like you’re interested in buying one and get fitted for one so you know how a good suit feels. Then, head to Nordstrom rack or another actual outlet (not a fake outlet that caries knock offs). Find a dark grey or blue suit that either fits great or decent to what you had a professional show you, then go have it tailored regardless of how it fits in the store.

Do it right and you can get a $1000+ suit for less than half the price.
Just not funeral black, OK?

You can find decent suits in good thrift stores.

Charcoal and navy are the preferred color in a conservative men's suit. Never black.

Fit is key. Nothing smacks of inexperience like an ill-fitting, cheap suit.

Suits are a lot like wine. You can get a nice suit for not a lot of money. You can also get a lousy suit for not a lot of money.

My recommendation is to go to Jos A Banks. They have decent sales, good enough tailors and can often rush the tailoring, if need be. The suits are decent there, their shirts are excellent and their ties are fine (enough).

I prefer this as the standard uniform.

Charcoal suit
Light blue shirt (solid, plain point collar)
Solidish maroon tie.
Black shoes (plain)
Black belt

This can be worn in just about any situation. Save the navy suit with white shirt for evening wear.
How long does tailoring take?

Depends on what needs to done and how backed up the tailor is. Typically, hemming pants and adjusting waist can be done in a couple of hours. Shortening sleeves and taking a jacket in takes a bit longer. Again, the gating factor is typically the tailor's back log.
Gotcha. But if someone gets a new suit say mid-July it will likely be done by interview season (mid august at the earliest) right? Like, am I drastically overestimating the amount of back-log?

No, you don't NEED to get a fitted suit. Many people can barely afford a suit. Just one that looks professional and presentable. And yes, the same suit lasted me through med school, a number of friends' weddings, residency interviews and a funeral. I still rotate the pants and shirt more than decade out now.

These threads are always annoying because they perpetuate the idea that fashion actually matters in medicine, which it doesn't unless you're a plastic surgeon or you work at Mayo. Can't win if you don't play the game though...

Look at places like Jos A Banks, Men's Wearhouse, or one of the nicer department stores and wait until they have one of their bigger sales. I've got a $900 suit that I paid under $400 for at Men's Wearhouse during a half-off sale (Also had $100 store credit from renting wedding tuxes through them). Took it to a local tailor (80+ yo Italian guy who'd been a tailor for 60+ years) and for $30-40 it looked amazing. The actual stores like MW and JaB are fine for tailoring, but I've found they're typically not as good as the people whose entire careers are tailoring to individuals.

Also, you will want to get your suit fitted regardless of where it is done. You want to be physically comfortable in your suit in every position (standing, sitting, walking). There's nothing worse than going on a high stress interview where you're trying to focus on being your best and having a suit that doesn't quite fit right.

To me, this is about taking fashion out of the equation by creating as neutral a palette as possible. I see business dress as a uniform.

And yes it is a game. All games have rules and norms. This is about comporting with norms.

After all, a suit and a tie are pretty silliy in and of themselves. It's all artifice.

Right. Just don't dress as if you've just been drafted into the NBA. Look: Best and worst outfits from 2019 NBA draft

Really, really good advice if you're in a large city. And don't be afraid of eBay for a suit IF you've got one that fits that you can measure from and enough time to have it tailored.

Edit: Just took a quick look for giggles and there are plenty of appropriate Brooks Brothers, Hart Shaffner & Marx, Canali, Ralph Lauren, etc. suits for well under $200. Some brand new, some previously owned but nearly new.

Last edited:
I think the slim suits from banana/j crew/bonobos/etc. fit pretty well off the rack if you are in decent shape tbh, no need to tailor. Thats what I did and I definitely did not think I was any less sharply dressed than the guys wearing the expensive tailored suits. I think tailoring is only necessary if you have weird dimensions(think uber jacked bodybuilders).

What’s The wonkiest nonsense outfit you have seen in interviews?
Paging @gyngyn He could tell you stories that would bring Mr Blackwell back from the grave to give his critique.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What’s The wonkiest nonsense outfit you have seen in interviews?

Volunteer firefighter's dress uniform. It was a suit, I'll give him that. It was somewhat like a military uniform, which is fine to wear, but it wasn't a military uniform so it was a little bit weird.

Volunteer firefighter's dress uniform. It was a suit, I'll give him that. It was somewhat like a military uniform, which is fine to wear, but it wasn't a military uniform so it was a little bit weird.
Yah...that is kinda weird. I don’t even feel comfortable wearing my Army dress blues to non-military events, I cannot imagine wearing that? You are right, it is a suit...and it is something they CAN wear...but it is just weird.

God that so cringey

To me, this is about taking fashion out of the equation by creating as neutral a palette as possible. I see business dress as a uniform.

And yes it is a game. All games have rules and norms. This is about comporting with norms.

After all, a suit and a tie are pretty silliy in and of themselves. It's all artifice.

Absolutely agree with your first statement. Imo as long as you're dressed professionally I don't really care. I've just heard some ridiculous statements from adcoms (wearing heels >2inches = likely rejection) and I think the "fashion" aspect is taken too seriously. The black suit is a perfect example. Does it show off a fashion sense? Very unlikely. Is it easy to look good and look professional? Absolutely. Idk if it's a fashion thing or if it's because ADCOMs are just tired of seeing everyone in a black suit, but I honestly just don't understand that advice.

Here's a decent article on ways to wear a black suit without looking like you're going to a funeral:
A Complete Guide to Black Suit & Shirt Combinations - The Trend Spotter

Absolutely agree with your first statement. Imo as long as you're dressed professionally I don't really care. I've just heard some ridiculous statements from adcoms (wearing heels >2inches = likely rejection) and I think the "fashion" aspect is taken too seriously. The black suit is a perfect example. Does it show off a fashion sense? Very unlikely. Is it easy to look good and look professional? Absolutely. Idk if it's a fashion thing or if it's because ADCOMs are just tired of seeing everyone in a black suit, but I honestly just don't understand that advice.

Here's a decent article on ways to wear a black suit without looking like you're going to a funeral:
A Complete Guide to Black Suit & Shirt Combinations - The Trend Spotter

What is fashionable and what one should wear to a medical school interview are two (or 12) different things. I would not want to see a man in a black suit and black bow tie as shown in that guide. Nor would I want to see anyone in a black shirt and black tie with the black suit and I think that the pink shirt and tie are silly. Also, avoid gingham. (Sweet Lord!)

We wouldn't reject someone because they wore a black suit. If we did, no one would have been admitted to medical school between 2000 and 2012 but it is just not a great look. Make an effort to wear a shade of blue or gray, the choices are numerous.

What is fashionable and what one should wear to a medical school interview are two (or 12) different things. I would not want to see a man in a black suit and black bow tie as shown in that guide. Nor would I want to see anyone in a black shirt and black tie with the black suit and I think that the pink shirt and tie are silly. Also, avoid gingham. (Sweet Lord!)

We wouldn't reject someone because they wore a black suit. If we did, no one would have been admitted to medical school between 2000 and 2012 but it is just not a great look. Make an effort to wear a shade of blue or gray, the choices are numerous.
Is this a good combo?

Attachments

• 55EF9DB1-505D-4526-BC7F-D34C4E2EA7AB.jpeg
    55EF9DB1-505D-4526-BC7F-D34C4E2EA7AB.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 69
Not sure if names of stores are allowed here, but Burlington (check a store, not the website) and 6pm have reasonable prices for really good stuff.

@MemeLord I don't like the black tie and it seems to be a heavy fabric which is weird. I prefer a silk tie with a small pattern or stripes. There are even fun ties with representations of bacteria etc that can be a conversation piece if they are related to a specific interest.

@MemeLord I don't like the black tie and it seems to be a heavy fabric which is weird. I prefer a silk tie with a small pattern or stripes. There are even fun ties with representations of bacteria etc that can be a conversation piece if they are related to a specific interest.
So, half of this sounds like good advice and half seems like atypical advice lol Right on. Will def get something different! This was my old suit ($100 at Macy’s) for my headshot. Will update!

To clarify, not all of those are appropriate for an interview and some are certainly more fashion than professional. Some of them I think look dumb in general, some look good and professional though. I wear a shirt somewhere between Lilac and Lavender with a darker violet and black striped tie (with more detailing) with a black suit and actually got a few compliments on the residency trail for looking nice in a black suit. I realize it's very common and the black suit/white shirt/solid or basic tie gets old, but I just disagree with the sentiment of completely forsaking a black suit.

I also disagree with the sentiment that gray just looks better than black. It certainly can when done right, but a lot of applicants I saw come through with gray suits just looked drab. Maybe I'm just partial to the black and darker blue, Idk. At least we can agree on the gingham though, *cringe*.

Do not know a lot about men suits or interviews but this one looks nice from Macys
Screenshot_20190705-221346.jpeg

A tailor should be able to tell you if a suit is just too big to be tailored to your body. Generally it is easier to fix the waist than the shoulders and it is easier to make something smaller than to make it larger (duh).

Do you have a trusted person in your life who is good with fashion and relatively conservative in their taste? Might be best to take them shopping with you and get their eye for colors and patterns that go together.

Went with a Navy blue mild pinstripe suit with a light blue shirt and a slightly patterned lightish purple tie. I trust you @LizzyM

• Wow
View attachment 277046

Do you think this is acceptable? I bought it thinking it was okay because it was labeled as navy and its from banana republic which was having a good sale and it was the cheapest suit I could find. Now looking back I'm scared it could be a little light in color. Any thoughts?
Idk what's going on with the sleeves there (never roll them) and the pants are way too tight. color is atypical.