should i wear this color suit to the interview? Or should I stick to navy Blue? See the photos attached. Thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillmakesuretopass

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 11.37.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 11.37.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 11.38.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 11.38.36 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They both are nice!

Reactions: 1 user
I wore a similar color suit (female), color looks good on zoom lol

Personally have been wearing a dark grey suit to each interview, but I see nothing wrong with this color. I say go for it

I see nothing wrong with the color but will dressing in different shades than the majority of your peers cause you to feel anxious or nervous on interview day? Go with what you will feel comfortable and confident in.

Reactions: 1 users
If it will cause you any anxiety, don't do it. Interviews are stressful enough. Just go with dark navy and worry about the important stuff.

I wore the same color and it looks good on Zoom.

If you're wearing any variation of darker blue, gray, or black you should be fine. Especially over Zoom, I highly doubt that anyone is paying that much attention to your outfit unless you stand out in a bad way, but it would take a lot to do that.

Wear whatever you feel most confident and comfortable in!

Not meaning to hijack this thread but is a suit expected to be worn? I’ve been wearing just a plain white button up dress shirt and a tie.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but is a suit expected to be worn? I’ve been wearing just a plain white button up dress shirt and a tie.
I think that a jacket should be worn as that is what is worn in person. Doubt it would really make a difference, but I don’t think med school interviews are forums to veer from accepted norms. I think in person if it’s warm or whatever, you can take jacket off but virtual o would recommend jacket

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that a jacket should be worn as that is what is worn in person. Doubt it would really make a difference, but I don’t think med school interviews are forums to veer from accepted norms. I think in person if it’s warm or whatever, you can take jacket off but virtual o would recommend jacket
Might just be because I go to a military school, but would recommend against taking your jacket off. Has a degree of informality that I think risks being looked at negatively.

Reactions: 6 users
If you present as male, wear a navy or charcoal suit, white button front collared shirt (no buttons on collar) and a tie (preferably maroon or other dark color with either a pin dot or tiny pattern).

Reactions: 2 users
If you present as male, wear a navy or charcoal suit, white button front collared shirt (no buttons on collar) and a tie (preferably maroon or other dark color with either a pin dot or tiny pattern).
I have been wearing pink, yellow and light blue ties. Should I get different darker ones this weekend? Didn’t know dark tie was preferable

I have been wearing pink, yellow and light blue ties. Should I get different darker ones this weekend? Didn’t know dark tie was preferable
It is all about contrast; dark jacket, light shirt, dark tie. This frames your face (the tie also directs attention upward).

Reactions: 5 users
White shirts are boooring! Light blue or something at least.

Is toppik/hair building fibers noticeable over zoom for people with thinning or receding hairlines

There's a wide range of blues, but I'd call that medium blue, and I don't think is quite formal enough. I think it'd be fine for most interviewers, but you want something that will be acceptable for all of them. Just do a charcoal or navy and if it's within your budget have it tailored.

Last edited:
I think this color (medium blue?) would be safer over zoom, but more risky in person. Not completely unwise, but less of a sure-fire bet than a darker blue or Navy.

A charcoal suit would be the safest grey in person, but I do think a medium grey would be just as safe over Zoom.

I agree black, while common, is not ideal.

• Care
A button up shirt and tie is fine. The main goal is to look well groomed and professional.

I agree that black should be avoided for interviews (of any kind). It’s too much contrast and too formal. Leave black for weddings, funerals, and the opera. Stick with blues and grays for anything other than the aforementioned occasions.

That blue color is pretty bold and pushes the envelope of what is “traditional professional” attire but if you feel confident in it I don’t think it’s problematic. That being said it’s not a color I could pull off lol. I would personally just go with navy.

A button up shirt and tie is fine. The main goal is to look well groomed and professional.
I think that a jacket is essential. I doubt that you’ll have anybody see below shoulders so doesn’t really matter if it’s a “suit”

Reactions: 2 users
Beginner
Charcoal or navy suit (suit supply). Solid white or solid light blue shirt. Burgundy tie. One cannot go wrong with these if the fit is acceptable.

Experienced
Nicely fitting and tailored suits in subtle variations on charcoal or navy. For example, a dark blue indigo suit or mid gray, to mix things up a bit.

Advanced
J. Press charcoal flannel suit with BB OCBD, BB burgundy repp tie, and Alden #8 shell loafers. Ivy sprezzatura.

God
Bespoke Harris tweed suit

Agree, both blues are good. Colors draw people in. Keep those eyes on you baby.