Interview thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlcst3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on interview thank you letters? Are you sending them? Emailing them? Not sending any at all? Are you sending individual letters to each interviewer or just one addressed to both? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread about this last year and it recieved mix opinions.

IMO, I think it looks like a 'suck up', even though you may feel 100% geniune about it. Others think it's completely appropriate. Do what you feel is best.

Well for job interviews you always send a thank you letter. Though these days it's more likely to be a thank you email. In that realm, it's seen as good to put your name out there again, show enthusiasm for the job, etc. And it's never a bad thing to show good manners. But that's also in the situation where they give you a business card to contact them if you have any further questions, and they're not likely to be interviewing 200 candidates. Maybe they're interviewing one person at a time, or at most a handful of candidates.

I'd think that in this case, they probably don't want 200 thank you emails. But if you feel like you had a really nice personal connection with someone or it was a more than 20 minute interview, maybe it makes sense? I probably side with the idea of do what feels right to you following the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd send a nice note to each interviewer. Just something simple along the lines of thank you for taking the time to meet with me. thanks for sharing your insight...blah,blah,blah. My hubbie who interviews in his field(engineering), says personal note cards are a great professional gesture. He feels its pretty standard after meeting with someone, even if its not for a job, but just a professional interaction that required their time. Also, if there is something in particular you talked about, then by all means say , " thank you for sharing your experiences regarding surgical residencies....". Hope this helps. I would not email, just my opinion. Short, sweet, and mildly personal should do the trick! Good Luck!
What are everyone's thoughts on interview thank you letters? Are you sending them? Emailing them? Not sending any at all? Are you sending individual letters to each interviewer or just one addressed to both? :confused:

Short, sweet, and mildly personal should do the trick! Good Luck!

I agree, short and sweet and mention something you talked about, don't make it a big deal- just a small gesture on your part. I have had a couple of job interviews where my bosses admitted that the thank you card or e-mail gave me that little extra edge over other candidates. Since this is what I want most in the world, I would definitely send a thank you to my hypothetical interviewers.

I would just make a couple of notes during the interview of names, then track someone down afterward and ask for an address. As said in last year's posts, you may find insight from others around the school (students giving tours, receptionists) whether a particular interviewer appreciates a thank you note or not.

Another thing I was thinking about: most of these admissions committees are voluntary, take an incredible time investment, and it is not easy to decide the future of another person, so showing a little appreciation to these people for giving up their weekends is, for lack of a better word- nice.

I sent thank you letters to my interviewers last year. I sent one card to the Associate Dean, and mentioned my interviewers by name, as well as the students who led the campus tour. I can't imagine NOT taking the time to thank people for spending their time meeting with you, touring you, and considering you for admission.

I do not agree that it looks like a "suck up." I was taught it is good manners, plain and simple. Incidentally, I was accepted to both schools I interviewed at last year, so it didn't hurt me in any case.

I sent thank you letters to the four sets of interviewers after I interviewed. Two of them (at different schools) actually replied to the thank you letter saying that they really appreciated my note. So I would say writing thank you letters is a good idea. Just make sure you personalize them for each interview/school.

I sent a thank you note to all three interviews at all three schools I interviewed at. (That's nine notes people!) Anyway, I was accepted at all three and had one of my current professors as an interviewer and he thanked me for my thank you note at the beginning of the year. (5 months after the interview!) So I guess it makes a positive impression.

I sent interview thank you notes (snail mail, NOT email) to my vet school interviewers and to my residency interviewers...

:thumbup:Seems to have worked

I think it is common decency and not "sucking up":rolleyes:

Now that I am helping interview others, and knowing how much time interviews take, I definately appreciate thanks:)

I think it's fine to send a note/thank you card out of courtesy. Just don't think it's going to affect your evaluation.

But not email ...that's just lame. It suggests you want to want to thank them but don't want to take the time to actually write and mail a note.

There was a thread about this last year and it recieved mix opinions.

IMO, I think it looks like a 'suck up', even though you may feel 100% geniune about it. Others think it's completely appropriate. Do what you feel is best.
Agreed and agreed.

I personally find it a bit over the top, so I don't do it. Though I don't see anything wrong with those that do.

I did send a Thank You email to an interviewer at VA-MD last year. We had a lot of common interests, particularly a fascination for photography. So we shared stats, and I showed her some of my work. But that was more of a personal interest rather than professional, I think. Not that I was trying anything other than to continue our conversation, but it didn't work anyway. At least I don't think so as I had accepted a place elsewhere after they put me on the waitlist. Probably my best interview ever too :mad:

Not that I was trying anything other than to continue our conversation, but it didn't work anyway.

:D You said "she" so.............trying to score a hot date??!! ;)

I'm just playing with you......but I did laugh a little when I read what you wrote, because that's the first thing that popped into my mind :)

edit: I'm an idiot......I meant "her" not "she"

:D You said "she" so.............trying to score a hot date??!! ;)

I'm just playing with you......but I did laugh a little when I read what you wrote, because that's the first thing that popped into my mind :)

Wait, no I didn't, did I?!? ARGH! I was purposefully trying to be ambiguous in case they read these forums and I let that darned pronoun slip. Though it was a she, a good looking she at that. But I digress, I think I was dating at the time and I surely would never do something like that, futilely or otherwise.

Now where's that headdesk emoticon...
eusawalleo9.gif

But no, really. She was into nature photography and dove at Lake Malawi, from which I bred professionally a number of fish. Our conversation at the interview actually took up most of the time, probably negatively impacting my chances! :eek:

I think it's fine to send a note/thank you card out of courtesy. Just don't think it's going to affect your evaluation.

But not email ...that's just lame. It suggests you want to want to thank them but don't want to take the time to actually write and mail a note.

Eh I don't know, I sent thank you emails last year. Seems to have worked. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I think email is perfectly fine.

I got accepted into a vet tech program that was difficult to get into. I sent my interviewer a letter, basically saying I was happy to get accepted, but I will be doing something else. I wanted to be in good standings incase I apply there again in the future.

I got an email back a couple of weeks later from him saying that it must have been a hard choice for me, and that he was happy to hear from me because all he hears, and I quote, are "bitches and gripes" :laugh: He's English, so...

i would send one, not via email though. i did not send one last year. honestly i forgot about it and about a week later when i thought of doing it i forgot my interviewers names and just never got around to it. i did talk to one of my professors at the vet school and he said he only got 3 letters last year when he did the instate interviews. i would go ahead and do it.