Interview thank you notes -- by email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OK to send thank you notes to interviewers by e-mail or must it be a hand-written, mailed letter? Would prefer the letter arrive sooner because time is a factor.

Members don't see this ad.

i work for a science temp agency that also helps with resume and interviewing skills, i asked them what they thought and they told me that hand written and informal is the best way, so i went out a bought professional thank you cards and wrote a short thank you. I was told and e-mail is too informal and doesnt show much effort, also, my interview was out of state so i had everything along with me and wrote out the thank yous immediately after my interview so i could mail them from that town, they probably got them the next day, and they must have worked!! good luck!

I have e-mailed my "Thank you" letters, and the faculty actually wrote me back wishing me luck! Of course, hand-written letter is the formal way to go, but I don't necessarily think it's a must. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with SunshinePharmer, I guess it also depends on how did you think about the interviewer. Personally, as long as you show sincerity, email or hand-written letter does not matte :)

I personally think a written letter is the best. At the same time the thank you letter is supposed to have no effect on whether or not you're accepted. Either way I think that thanking them in any way is better than not thanking them at all.

I've always used written thank you cards on nice stationary mailed to anyone I have needed to thank (prof who writes your letter or rec or an interviewer for example).

To me, an email shows a lack of forethought and effort and just feels plain sloppy.

There is so much time and anxiety expended in preparing for the interview. And what's the point of the interview? To convince your interviewer that you have the academic skills as well as social skills and drive to do your best in pharmacy school. You want to set yourself apart from the other applicants.

For me, proper social skills dictate a hand-written thank you card. Additionally, you can differentiate yourself from some of the other applicants (emailers) by providing a nice thank you card. To make yourself memorable, add a note or comment about the specific interaction you had with the interviewer.

I think a lot of these type of questions would be readily answered by purchasing, reading and FOLLOWING THE ADVICE of any one of dozens of "how to interview well" books.

Hahahaha....I never wrote any letter or sent any e-mails. Come to think about it, I now feel bad coz it just zoomed past my empty head....

I will, I guess, thank them personally, later when I actually am taking their class..

Too late for me to write something and send it, plus I barely remember their names.

I just sent them an email, but I put time and efforts into it to make it personal and thoughtful. That way they don't think that I just copied and pasted a sample Thank you letter that I found on the internet and then just put their name there. LOL

I think either email or hand-written mail is fine as long as it is a good one. :luck: