Interview Timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singinfifi

Professional Insomniac
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow neuro folks!
Quick question, I know that for medical schools the earlier the interview, the better. Is it that way for residency too? If I have a choice between November, December and January, is there an advantage to taking an interview in November? Or is January best (what with the being "fresh in his mind"). Or does it not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow neuro folks!
Quick question, I know that for medical schools the earlier the interview, the better. Is it that way for residency too? If I have a choice between November, December and January, is there an advantage to taking an interview in November? Or is January best (what with the being "fresh in his mind"). Or does it not matter?

There's alot of pontification on this topic. I personally think, having seen the selection process now, that going in January is the best. You are fresh in their mind and you have to understand, this is a pretty exhausting process for the program coordinators/directors to go through all the applicants. Therefore, the fresher you are in their minds, the more consideration you'll get. A candidate interviewed earlier takes a little more effort to go back and 'refresh your memory' on.
Honestly, the timing of your interview isn't going to be the biggest factor, but if I did have to choose, I'd go with January (but not too late, then you're with the 'add-ons').

Good luck!

Honestly, timing is not as important for residency as it is for medical school. In general there are fewer interview dates for residency, which allows program directors and residents to really get to know applicants. The rank list will not just include 1 person, but a conglomeration of all the strongest applicants. Program directors aren't dumb, they'll remember you if you interview early. In fact they may even use you as the yardstick by which they compare other applicants to.