Interview Tips for Indiana University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gesuchtish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

IU seems to be my last hope. Please share with me any 2cents about the interview. Thanks.

I have 37 in MCAT and 3.47 for GPA. I'm a also a Canadian. So far pretty much getting only pre-interview rejections :( from US schools .

Members don't see this ad.

IU conducts very formal and group oriented interviews. They love good numbers and a 37 on your MCAT is a very good number so you should probably try to throw that in there as much as possible. If you have any specific questions PM me and Ill help you out as much as I can. I live in Indy and already interviewed there so I know the process. Good luck.

IU conducts very formal and group oriented interviews. They love good numbers and a 37 on your MCAT is a very good number so you should probably try to throw that in there as much as possible. If you have any specific questions PM me and Ill help you out as much as I can. I live in Indy and already interviewed there so I know the process. Good luck.

i have no affiliation with IU nor know any students there... but I think it would be kind of awkward if you keep stressing how awesome your mcat is. they know its awesome. they dont need you to boast. anyway, thats my opinion.

well, maybe if it comes up in conversation you can detail how you handled the stress, studied hard, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at IU on 9/13 and was accepted in mid November. If I remember correctly, your interviewers have your AMCAS right there in front of them. I would suggest visiting this sites interview questions for the school. All of the "tough" ethical questions that were asked of me I had already prepared for by viewing this site! I'm OOS and must admit that I didn't know much about the school prior to applying but perhaps you should stress your interest in that particular area, its hospitals, curriculum, etc
:luck:

i have no affiliation with IU nor know any students there... but I think it would be kind of awkward if you keep stressing how awesome your mcat is. they know its awesome. they dont need you to boast. anyway, thats my opinion.

well, maybe if it comes up in conversation you can detail how you handled the stress, studied hard, etc.

It is awkward and boastful but IU simply loves numbers

It is awkward and boastful but IU simply loves numbers

I'm OOS interviewed in Nov accepted in January. IU might love numbers which MAY be why the OP as an OOS (out of the country) got the interview. But I'd think that's where their # loving ends.

OP IMO there's no reason to stress your mcat/gpa, stress your unique characteristics that aren't available on your primary (all they have). If they chose you to interview especially as an OOS applicant (there standards for interviewing in state applicants are relatively low, which is why there are a lot of interviewees), academically they feel you're fine.

As for the interview, it's 2 of them against one of you. Which was kind of interesting because it's hard to address both interviewers simultaneously. At least for me it was. Know their competencies, they stress professionalism which if you research, the term can get really complex.

Best of luck. Indiana is a great school.

Just remember, there's more than corn in Indiana.....there's soybeans too. :laugh:

The one question I can remember being asked was "How do you define professionalism?"

I remember it because I started waxing philosophical and then I got the vibe from my interviewer like "WTF are you talking about?" So I just went with the straight, "Treating others with respect. You weren't looking for a dissertation were you?" She started laughing.

So I'd have an answer for that but other than that, just try to be yourself. It's a great school. I really ended up loving it.

I interviewed there last month and they asked me quite a few questions about their Nine Competencies. If I were you, I'd look over those on their website.
Good Luck :luck:

just wondering...do you really have to be there for the entire day or can you just attend the actual interview? I've heard the beginning of day was not informative.

you dont have to be there all day but Id recommend going on the student led tour...IU has some truly AWESOME facilities...Plasma TV's everywhere you look for example...Most classrooms are as up to date as it gets...I havent been to many med school campuses to compare them to but IU seems like a top of the line program with top of the line facilities so I would at least check it out. On the other hand, there are so many people at the interview that you wont exactly be missed if you skip out on the financial aid information session that lasts over an hour or other parts of the interview you might find trivial.